•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Signals from a StarShoot Video Eyepiece with "no where to go"

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 edhuff

edhuff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA/AZ

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:56 PM

I emailed the following to Orion but haven't heard in a while so I thought I'd share this with the Cloudy Nights community:

"My LCD-VCR 'went sideways' as it no longer displays imagery from the video eyepiece which still works. When
I try plugging in the video eyepiece into .av input into the display I get static and white-out with no images. That said,
what can I get to receive the video eyepiece signal? If not from you folks from another source? It's a shame to
waste the CCD eyepiece images but I need some kind of interface. DigitNow offers a display but I'm not sure

about the interface compatibility. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks."

I don't know if there's another similar small recorder like the StarShoot model but maybe there's an alternative.

Thanks Cloudy Nights!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7267.jpg

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:11 AM

I think you will need to post a link to your StarShoot model, because as far as I can see, current models have a USB output that you plug into a PC or laptop.

With the supplied software loaded, or may even work with default Windows drivers.

• edhuff likes this

#3 edhuff

edhuff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:37 PM

I think you will need to post a link to your StarShoot model, because as far as I can see, current models have a USB output that you plug into a PC or laptop.

With the supplied software loaded, or may even work with default Windows drivers.

Thanks Michael for getting back to me, unfortunately, the model eyepiece I own is not USB compatible: https://www.telescop...ece/p/52174.uts. Neither the LCD-VCR or the eyepiece is available from Orion and hence, my search for some display that can accommodate that jack

as seen in the included page in the Orion product line.

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:58 PM

That's a standard Composite Video output cable. I use those to output the Live View from my Canon T3i.

My favorite "Portable" Monitor (I have 2) is an older Sony Portable DVD Player/Recorder,  $10 at a yard sale near you!

Seriously,  it's a life saver, with decent resolution.  The 'yellow' Video Jack on the side can be switched for use as Input or Output.  Monitor is 10.1 inches, and it flips open.

The Jack size is 1/8" phono plug, so I  just get an adapter to the standard RCA Jack on your video eyepiece cable.

• edhuff likes this

#5 edhuff

edhuff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

That's a standard Composite Video output cable. I use those to output the Live View from my Canon T3i.

My favorite "Portable" Monitor (I have 2) is an older Sony Portable DVD Player/Recorder,  $10 at a yard sale near you!

Seriously,  it's a life saver, with decent resolution.  The 'yellow' Video Jack on the side can be switched for use as Input or Output.  Monitor is 10.1 inches, and it flips open.

The Jack size is 1/8" phono plug, so I  just get an adapter to the standard RCA Jack on your video eyepiece cable.

Thanks! Could you give me the model of your player and power requirements?

#6 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:10 AM

Search for a "Composite Video Monitor".

• edhuff likes this

#7 nemo129

nemo129

Soyuz

• Loc: WMass

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

This would likely work.

If you cannot get the Orion video EP going, I keep seeing ads for the Revolution Imager. It comes with a video screen (looks similar to the one on Amazon). There is also a CN thread on it here. Not trying to spend you money, just showing what looks like a good option if the old one does not work.

• edhuff likes this

#8 edhuff

edhuff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:59 PM

This would likely work.

If you cannot get the Orion video EP going, I keep seeing ads for the Revolution Imager. It comes with a video screen (looks similar to the one on Amazon). There is also a CN thread on it here. Not trying to spend you money, just showing what looks like a good option if the old one does not work.

Thanks Nemo! I checked out their Revolution DVR at ~$100 and it looks like it would work nicely with my StarShoot Video Eyepiece which still works. The eyepiece Av/In jack would simply plug into the DVR's Av/In port for recording. I'll also check out the reviews to see customer satisfaction. Again, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics