•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focusing woes... curvature, CA, workarounds?

Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:21 PM

Hey, what's up?

Last night I went out to take a few shots of Cederblad 122, and something happened during the session. It's not the first time, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to achieve better, more consistent focus.

My equipment includes:

• SkyWatcher Evostar 72ED
  • 0.85x field flattener
  • Orion 5561 skyglow filter
  • ZWO LRGB filters
  • QHY 163m + QHYCFW3
  • Skywatcher NEQ5 dual axis (though I don't think this one is relevant here)

I don't yet have an autofocuser, although I did order one, so I should have it eventually. For the moment, I'm still doing manual focusing.

The thing that has been happening, is that I check individual subs and they look focused enough:

light_L_sample.crop.jpg

That's a crop near the middle of the sub. Here's one near the corner:

light_L_sample.crop2.jpg

Now that I'm aware of what the end result was, I can see it there. But it's oh so subtle, that I never notice in the field. You can see there's a little bit of curvature there, well, it's not curvature, it's just that it's out of focus. I noticed that with a flattener or coma corrector, when the edges are out of focus they exhibit coma-like star shapes, even though backspacing is spot on.

I know back spacing is spot on because I've managed other shots that don't exhibit any curvature. It's a focus issue. If I don't nail it absolutely perfect, the edges come out all wrong.

Now, if it was just that subtle, I wouldn't mind it much. But the problem gets very noticeable after stacking:

cederblad122.lrgb.crop2.jpg

That's a center crop after drizzle-stacking and combining all LRGB channels, no deconvolution yet. So I think it's quite ok.

But the corner is not:

cederblad122.lrgb.crop.jpg

How does one get accurate enough focus if a single sub doesn't show it?

After doing the manual focus I did measure FWHM, and it seemed fine. I didn't notice a significant FWHM difference between the couple focuser positions I checked around the optimal (or what I thought was optimal) point. I searched the focus point using 8s subs at high gain (200).

When my EAF arrives I can imagine I will be able to control the focuser position more accurately, but I can't imagine the software will be able to find the focus point if a single sub looks focused... or will it?

Is there something I'm missing? Should I use longer subs for focus testing? Or is that chromatic aberration? I focused with the L filter, and since my LRGB are parfocal I just used that position for all filters. On my newtonian it works well, but maybe I need to find filter offsets when using the refractor?

BTW, yes, I also used a bhatinov.

I would appreciate any tips.

Edited by klaussius, 14 May 2021 - 03:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics