•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro Devices G-11 encoder kit; are there ASCOM drivers?

Astrometry Accessories Tripod Software Mount Observatory Astrophotography DIY DSO Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

I recently purchased from Don Pensack at Eyepices.Etc the encoder kit for my G11 along with the Nexus II, and installation went smoothly, and everything hooks up.  But I am running into the problems with finding a Windows based planetarium program, and I wanted to see if anyone on this site had any experience or suggestions with this issue.

I've used the mount with SkySafari on my Android tablet (Galaxy S4), and set up the Basic Encoder, GEM and 311,296 ticks/rev for each encoder.  This works out of the box with these encoders, and completely cycling my Dec axis brings the reticle on SkySafari back to the same spot on the planetarium map. 

I've want to try, though, using both Starry Nights and Carte du Ciel on my Surface Pro using ASCOM drivers (the only way to hook up encoders it seems on Windows platforms).  The NexusII documentation says use "Orion Intelliscope" but the encoders on that only go up to 65536 ticks/rev, not 311K.   There is some discussion on Cloudy Nights about whether these encoders are even Orion's as Orion hasn't had them on their site for years.  I've downloaded Green Swamp, which seems to work for other Orion products, but this seems to have driver problems on the Surface -- I can't set the parameters.   I've tried using David Ek's DSC settings, but again, encoders max out at 65K ticks. 

So right now, I'm stuck on how to Windows interface with the G11.I feel like I'm 95% of the way there, but just can't get that last driver to work.

Any suggestions, or perhaps someone could tell me how others have gotten this to work.

Attached Thumbnails

• g11_resized.jpg
  • neong11_resized.jpg

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:54 PM

I'm not a Losmandy expert so please bear with me as I'm really curious....

I did see a reference to "Gemini.net(ASCOM)" on the Losmandy tech support web page. 

If that's the case, most recent version of Stellarium for Windows DOES support ASCOM soooo maybe that might work for you??

Using ASCOM and Stellarium I can control several different mounts either via WiFi or direct USB connection.

#3 jp071848

jp071848

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

G11 owner here, with multiple Surfaces as well. You say that you can connect  Skysafari using an Android tablet, so have you tried running Android on the Surface? I can run Skysafari just fine on my Surfaces using Bluestacks and it works fine, albeit a bit slow due to the emulation. No guarantee it will do what you need, but it may be worth a try?

#4 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:38 PM

I use the G11 with AstroDevices encoders now with SkySafari on a Samsung tablet.  It works flawlessly.  But I'm starting to use my G11 for astrophotography, so I need to use a Windows based computer.  In particular with PHD2, I'd like the encoders as the 'aux' mount (i.e., closing the feedback loop to PHD2).   I need the ASCOM driver for that, as well as for any planetarium programs on Windows (not one will support 311K ... it's just the driver encoding that artificially sets that limit).  No one seems to want to share their drivers (open-source code), but ASCOM does provide very nice tools for developing from the ground up, so I'm starting work on my own driver.  

I guess 10-15 years ago, Serge was using the Intelliscope ASOM driver, but that's been gone for a decade it seems, with no replacement (everything else sets a hard stop at 65K).

My preference would not be to use emulation, though thank you for letting me know that this works.  When you are dealing with COM ports, I've found emulation can be buggy. 

Edited by Chris Westland, 14 May 2021 - 02:39 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrometry, Accessories, Tripod, Software, Mount, Observatory, Astrophotography, DIY, DSO, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics