•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions, please, on size of planned ROR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:47 PM

Returning to imaging after a little time off, and I'm re-configuring things. I'm going to demo my little roll-away shed and build a small ROR shed. This will be for imaging only and will be remotely controlled. My little shed sits on a fenced-in 6'x13' deck now. I would like to keep that footprint, so 6'x6' would be the maximum size of my ROR. Although remotely controlled and imaging-only, I would still need room to swap equipment, tweak and troubleshoot. Opinions on how feasible the 6'x6' size would be?

Thanks,

Joe

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

I have a 4x4 observatory on my roof. I only run a C8 but with a dew shield and camera hanging off the back, the thing is about 3 feet long. It actually fits in the 4x4 area but it is SO tight and I cannot move round it it much at all (and I am not big). I think the extra foot on each side (with a 6x6) would barely do it but maybe not for a longer refractor. If you can go a bit larger I think you wouldn't regret it.

But if that is all you can do, then go with it. My little observatory was the best investment in this hobby that I ever could have made.

#3 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

I have a 4'x6' roll off shed. If I were to enlarge it to 6'x6', I could probably work on my scope but it is rather compact as it is a fork mount on a wedge. Depending on your mount, it could be tight. Getting around a long counterweight shaft could be tough especially if you have a large scope. I would recommend building a PVC frame around your equipment and cover the frame with cardboard or a tarp so you can give it a test run.

Good luck!!
  • t_image and DSOGabe like this

#4 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Skylab

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:31 PM

I built a garage rooftop observatory 20 years and it houses a 12" LX200 SCT mounted on a wedge. The inside dimensions are 5'7" by 7'2" and the scope is used mainly for remote imaging from inside my home.

There's enough room inside for 2 people to observe comfortably. However, three people is really unworkable. I have plenty of room to work with the equipment and do an initial setup at the start of an observing run.

A small observatory should work well for your needs.

OrbitJet Observatory:

https://www.flickr.c...57644177074161/

Home Observatory Inside.jpg

• Solar storm likes this

#5 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:28 AM

Thanks folks. I didn't mention that there is a larger shed nearby in which I built a warm room, with power and data buried to the permanent pier in my roll away. So there will be nothing but the scope in the shed. I think I will take Chuck's advice and mock something up.

Joe

PS - skyguy - awesome! Beautiful work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics