•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the Star Adventurer worth buying now?

Astrophotography Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:02 AM

I'm trying to save money for a bigger mount, but for this summer (full of dark-sky trips) should I get a SA? I have a 14mm 2.8 and 24-70mm 4.0. I remember when SA went for 300-350 euro but now most online shops that I browse either don't have it or charge 400-480 euro. Should I just wait for the autumn/winter and see if the prices drop? The only place I found it was on ebay. I also searched in used sites but nothing...

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:50 AM

At 400€ I would pass.

If can not find anything second hand I suggest to check Skypoint for a Polarie unit

At such focals do not need the polarscope (which would be quite expensive, but way better than the skywatcher unit) and could use the built-in compass/bubble level; optionally can add the "improved" version for roughly 50€, which is very handy.

As for the wedge, beside Vixen one (tiny but not especially strong) could use a 2d, 3d or even ballhead: in the last case the improved compass/level is very nice to have but absolutely not mandatory given your focals.

gallery_215679_8115_6031668.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics