•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power Cord Wrap Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jkevn

jkevn

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:41 AM

I have a Celestron CPC 1100 Edge. I am using a 12V Celestron Lithium Pro power supply.

The cord on this power supply is very short. Tonight I ran into a problem slewing in azimuth because of cord wrap. I simply did not notice how tight the cord was getting in the dark. The mount motor made a strained sound, and then completely stopped during rapid slewing. 

Could this have damaged the gears or the azimuth motor? 

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:50 AM

I have a Celestron CPC 1100 Edge. I am using a 12V Celestron Lithium Pro power supply.

The cord on this power supply is very short. Tonight I ran into a problem slewing in azimuth because of cord wrap. I simply did not notice how tight the cord was getting in the dark. The mount motor made a strained sound, and then completely stopped during rapid slewing. 

Could this have damaged the gears or the azimuth motor?

It happened to me repeatedly in the early days with no adverse consequences. I think there are mechanisms that prevent damage other than perhaps a bent cable plug/socket or snapped cable (which are probably more likely). Solutions entail understanding how to use Cordwrap settings and better cable management.
  • jkevn likes this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:27 AM

I,m getting a sense of dejevu on this thread yes i can relate to your frustration,the Meade LX90 is even worse with cord wrapping it way around the forks and it does have a function in the handset as a safety precaution it works to a certain degree.however regarding your situation I would of thought it will cause no permanent damage of any kind and maybe you should source a longer power cable or even better as i was fed up of tripping over cables in the dark and the same problems you been having I decided to puchase a lithium ion phosphate power pack and attached it to the left hand fork arm with Velcro straps you could do similar arrangement with your scope!?however i used to own the CPC 9.25 and as I remember the power socket is situated on the base of the forks so i found it wasn’t to much of an issue.

• jkevn likes this

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:33 AM

By now some very large number and a high percentage of Celestron mount owners have discovered why cord warp is on the menu.  There are not many or any  reports of damaged azimuth drives as a result of power cord wrap. I can personally attest to the drive in a CPC or SE is not the failure point. 

The mount that preceded the CPC did not have a cord wrap problem. it had conductive rings that transferred power from the fixed to the rotating part of the base as well as more expensive US made Pitman motors.

• jkevn likes this

#5 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:15 AM

I think that most people have figured out the best solution by now:  attach everything to the fork arm(s) of the mount rather than to the tripod.  That way, things rotate with the scope rather than trying to strangle it.

Edited by mlord, 14 May 2021 - 07:15 AM.

• jkevn, StubbornRunner and Glass Man like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics