•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nifty AVX NexStar+ hack...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:14 AM

I ran into this accidentally, and instead of calling it a bug, I'll call it a nifty hack.

When taking calibration subs during the day, or otherwise working on stuff that wants to have the AVX / NexStar+ powered up, it can be annoying to have the rotisserie motor actually running.  I imagine a flat screen balanced no top of an upright OTA crashing to the floor as the RA spins, etc.  Sure, there's a menu item to turn off tracking, but there's an easier way.

If I have my Raspberry Pi physically connected to the hand controller (USB cable), I can turn on the mount and run through the initialization sequence, ending in a Quick Align as usual.  That starts the RA motor.  If I then cycle power on the mount (off, then on) the motor is apparently not reinitialized (so it stops spinning), but the hand controller (being powered from USB) stays initialized and running. 

From there I can take images, play with exposures, etc. all afternoon, without the motor running, and without having to dive into menus and such to turn off tracking.  Simple click, click of the on/off switch, and I'm ready to go.

• Dynan likes this

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:55 AM

Tracking doesn't commence until you have completed an align. So, I don't see how this is an issue? Just don't commence an alignment.I regularly aim my Evolution at a distant chimney when I am diagnosing issues with WiFi and similar and no alignment means zero movement in RA. Or is the AVC different?

Edited by Noah4x4, 14 May 2021 - 01:56 AM.

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

Tracking doesn't commence until you have completed an align. So, I don't see how this is an issue? Just don't commence an alignment.I regularly aim my Evolution at a distant chimney when I am diagnosing issues with WiFi and similar and no alignment means zero movement in RA. Or is the AVC different?

True, but the imaging software knows that the mount's not ready and (probably depending on the software) complains that it's not able to take a picture.  This is an easy way to trick the software into imaging without having the motors actually spin.

#4 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

I normally take my darks indoors just camera and software no mount etc. and I take my dark flats and flats with the flat panel on top of the scope and the AVX powered off.

I try to power my mount on and off as little as possible.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics