•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI - Some puzzling aspects

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:08 AM

The first item of interest is the Tile Bar at the top of the window.

The first image was taken at 16:36 local time (UTC + 10) . The UTC time seems to be correct at 6:32 but why is LST (which is supposed to local time) 32:09?. That's 32 hours, not 32 minutes!!!

The second image shows Model Settings which shows the latitude but not longitude. As far as I know, the only way to see the longitude is to deleted the alignment and start a new one. I think that the longitude/ location is correct because GoTo is working correctly.

The computer time zone and time are correct.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPWI_LST.jpg
  • Model_Settings.jpg

#2 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:19 AM

Not sure what "LST" represents.   Oh, wait, here it is: https://www.celestro...to-scope-s-menu

LST refers to the local sidereal time, which is the right ascension (RA) that is on the meridian at your observing location. Objects with an RA equal to the LST are culminating, appearing at their highest point in the sky for the day. Thus, they are well-placed for observation.

Once you have completed your SkyAlign, find the LST by looking at the Menu under View Time-Site. Here it will be displayed as hours, minutes and seconds (down to a tenth of a second). It is continuously updated by the mount’s firmware.

Latitude is shown so that one can set the EQ mount or wedge to the correct angle.  I guess they figured Longitude wasn't needed for anything there.

Edited by mlord, 14 May 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#3 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:30 AM

Not sure what "LST" represents.   Oh, wait, here it is: https://www.celestro...to-scope-s-menu

LST refers to the local sidereal time, which is the right ascension (RA) that is on the meridian at your observing location. Objects with an RA equal to the LST are culminating, appearing at their highest point in the sky for the day. Thus, they are well-placed for observation.

Once you have completed your SkyAlign, find the LST by looking at the Menu under View Time-Site. Here it will be displayed as hours, minutes and seconds (down to a tenth of a second). It is continuously updated by the mount’s firmware.

Latitude is shown so that one can set the EQ mount or wedge to the correct angle.  I guess they figured Longitude wasn't needed for anything there.

Thanks. The online manual that comes with CPWI 2.4.0 beta doesn't quite get it right, as per the quote below.  I was wondering what the heck it was. Not local time that's for sure. Can it have a value of 32 hours? Shouldn't the maximum value be 24:00?

I don't see why longitude should not be included alongside the latitude, for completeness at leastsmile.gif,

At the top of the screen, you will find the Data bar. This section displays current
information at a glance, including universal time (UTC), local time (LST),
pointing coordinates (in RA/Dec and Alt/Az coordinates), mount status, and
number of alignment references in the pointing model.

Edited by Rac19, 14 May 2021 - 06:52 PM.

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:08 AM

It is probably Martian Time Richard....oops no, that is merely a 25 hour day.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics