•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guiding with two camera?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ebonnevi

ebonnevi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:41 AM

Hello

I'm guiding with a guiding scope right now and slowly trying to guide with an OAG to get getter result, but i'm having trouble with the OAG. Sometime it is difficult to find a star at 2032mm focal lenght and when the meridien flip occurs, we can't be sure to fnd a star automatically.. note that i'm trying to fully automate my imaging night, so i'm sleeping when the meridien flip is done.. 

First question: Is it possible to guide with two camera? One on a guide scope and one on the OAG? This way if one failed the other will be still able to make correction to the mount?

Second question: Is the EQ6-R Pro or other mount can get correction from USB (what i'm using) and the ST4 port at the "same" time? 

Thank 

#2 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:48 AM

You can guide with two camera but not at the same time, you would have to select which one to use with any software program.

#3 ebonnevi

ebonnevi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:53 AM

Yes i know that aleady :) but i wish to be able to switch from camera automatically not manualy

#4 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:12 AM

I am pretty sure the answer to both of your questions is no, but someone may correct me.

What OAG are you using?

Have you adjusted the prism to be as far into the light path as possible without causing a shadow on the main camera sensor when you shoot a flat?

I image with an 11" EdgeHD using the Celestron OAG(93648) at both 2800mm f/l and with the Celestron .7x  reducer at 1960mm f/l using an ASI174 and never have problems finding guide stars as the COAG has a huge prism (12.5mm) and the ASI174, which I see you have, has a large sensor.

• Dynan likes this

#5 ebonnevi

ebonnevi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:15 AM

I have the ASI174mm, right now i'm using the OAG from ZWO but I should receive the OAG from Celestron today and try it as soon as the cloud can go away.. 

You always find a star?

#6 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:57 PM

I have the ASI174mm, right now i'm using the OAG from ZWO

That is what I use. I have never had a problem finding lots of stars - usually a half dozen or more are visible.  But I only go up to 1422mm (Edge8 with reducer).

I shoot 5 second exposures with the '174 guide cam.  My skies are pretty dark which no doubt helps. 

• As mentioned above, the prism on the OAG should be a close to the center of the optical tube as possible - the image is brighter there. 
  • When moving the prism in, have the OAG and camera sitting on a table, and look into the OAG towards the camera. 
  • Move the prism in. Note that you can make the stalk with the prism longer or shorter. Longer puts the '174 further out and easier to focus.
  • The prism should approach the sensor  on the long side of the sensor (assuming rectangluar sensor).
  • This gets closest to the center of the optical path which is brightest. 
  • Don't move the prism in too far and block light going to the main camera.
  • Shoot a flat or just the daylight sky to verify there isn't a shadow

The OAG camera needs to be well focused to get smaller brighter stars.

• psandelle likes this

#7 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:18 PM

You always find a star?

Yes, most of the time several to choose from. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics