•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 6 on the Apple Watch... A question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:06 AM

The App Store now shows SS 6 supports the Apple Watch.  Yay!

But, what does that mean?  cool.gif

What can it do on the Apple Watch — both alone, away from an iPhone, and paired to it via Bluetooth or WiFi?

Anyone used it on an AW?  

One thing it means is that a Simulation Curriculum support page is out of date.  See https://support.simu...ported-Anymore-

Edited by Roger Corbett, 14 May 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#2 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

As far as I know it’s just for notifications when things are happening. It tells me when the planets and moon is rising, setting, etc.

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:06 PM

Well just saying why would you want to use skysafari on such a device with a small screen!?

• Steve Cox likes this

#4 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:24 PM

Atlanta, thanks for the input!  Does it include any satellite information?  Or, bright star or Messier rising and setting -- or, better transiting the meridian?

SN74, you raise a good question!  I wouldn't expect to use the full-blown Sky Safari on the watch.  

However, I can think of several benefits of astronomy apps on the watch.  I often don't have my phone with me -- but might be wearing the watch.  When I do have my phone with me, it's typically off and in a pocket with keys, pens, comb, etc.   A nuisance to fish out.  Hence, the watch could provide:

1.  A quick way of seeing sunrise, sunset times.

2.  A quick way of checking on the phase of the Moon.

3.  Not having to putter with the iPhone in the dark.  Or, drop it!

4.  Bringing up Messier info at a glance.

5.  Fast access to ClearSky Clock.

5.  Quick check of ISS and Hubble flybys. 

6.  Spot check on what that bright star or planet is -- or, in the middle of the night, which constellation I'm seeing.

I'm sure there are plenty of other uses I've not thought of, but an app developer has!  Hence the question.

I used to have a small Nokia flip phone and used a wonderful planetarium app with it.  Its screen wasn't that much bigger than the Apple Watch, but it was a treat to use.

Luminos has a version of its app for the Watch and it has some pretty spiffy features.  See

https://www.youtube....h?v=9w107crlCUY

So, partly wondering how Sky Safari's Watch support compared.

Would I use the watch for star hopping at a scope?  Probably not!  cool.gif    But for getting some quick astro info, it could be useful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics