•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Considering buying a Vixen Sensor R-200S 200/1000 reflector - Would love your expert advice!

Equipment Eyepieces Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ydellago

Ydellago

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

Hi members of Cloudy Nights,

For my first post at this forum, I would like to charter your advice on buying a second-hand Vixen Sensor R-200S 200/1000 reflector. See some pictures from the add attached.

I've been considering expanding my astro arsenal with a large reflector, but I'm not quite ready to spend upwards of €500-600 considering the fact that those scopes are usually not very portable, I live in a heavily light-polluted city (Bortle 8-9) and do not own a car. However, when I saw this add I figured this might be a good way to get into the reflector-game without breaking the bank.

Some things that I would love to ask your advice on:

• Do you have any experience with this scope? From the limited information I can find online, the reviews seem pretty good (although apparently there may be some issues with in-tube reflections).
  • I'm wondering how this type of focuser works. It seems to be sliding from left to right instead of up and down. What are these called? And what are your thoughts on these focusers?
  • The scope appears to have a 0.965" focuser. I only own 1.25" eyepieces and I'm not sure the telescope comes with the original 0.965" eyepieces. There are various adapters for sale (0.965"-->1.25"). What will be the effect of using such an adapter, compared to a regular 1.25" setup? I'm assuming the FOV will be smaller and/or the image will be less bright. Will the edges of the 1.25" eyepiece be 'blacked out' due to a lack of light at the area between 0.965" and 1.25"?
  • Finally: what would you say is a reasonable price for such a scope (including a mount; I have not yet verified if it's an original Vixen Sensor mount though), assuming it is in a 'usable' condition (as you would expect for a 30 [?] year old scope) and the mirrors are in good shape? Right now I'm considering offering +/- €250 for the whole package, depending on the actual state of the scope (esp. the mirror), of course.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,

Ydellago

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen Sensor R-200S 200 1000 reflector - 1.png
  • Vixen Sensor R-200S 200 1000 reflector - 2.jpg
  • Vixen Sensor R-200S 200 1000 reflector - 3.jpg

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, zakry3323 and 1 other like this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:26 PM

welcome to the Classic telescope forum.   This vixen newt is a very good scope with excellent optics.

Edited by starman876, 14 May 2021 - 12:27 PM.

• Ydellago likes this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

Right now I'm considering offering +/- €250 for the whole package, depending on the actual state of the scope (esp. the mirror), of course.

If you can get it for that price BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!!! Those Vixen mirrors are usually SUPER crisp! 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• rcwolpert, Defenderslideguitar and Ydellago like this

#4 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

That style of focuser is called a "Sled Focuser".  The Secondary mirror is attached to the sliding part and it focuses by moving the entire assembly towards and away from the primary.  They work well but have been known to be temperamental, ESPECIALLY if the focuser gear strips. 

I'm 90% sure you can unscrew the .925" eyepiece barrel and replace it with an 1.25" version, which would eliminate any issues with a .965-1.25 adapter.

I believe it's Vixen Item #3720

Edited by mpsteidle, 14 May 2021 - 01:03 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and Ydellago like this

#5 Ydellago

Ydellago

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:34 PM

If you can get it for that price BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!!! Those Vixen mirrors are usually SUPER crisp! 

Thanks for the advice, I have asked for some more pictures (of the mount and the mirror) and then I will make my offer!

That style of focuser is called a "Sled Focuser".  The Secondary mirror is attached to the sliding part and it focuses by moving the entire assembly towards and away from the primary.  They work well but have been known to be temperamental, ESPECIALLY if the focuser gear strips. 

I'm 90% sure you can unscrew the .925" eyepiece barrel and replace it with an 1.25" version, which would eliminate any issues with a .965-1.25 adapter.

Oh that would be great, if I get the scope I will look for the replacement eyepiece barrel. Thanks for the tip!

#6 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:40 PM

hoop dat je het begrijpt

#7 Ydellago

Ydellago

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

hoop dat je het begrijpt

I do wink.gif

#8 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:30 AM

For that price, I’d jump right on it!

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:21 PM

https://www.vixenopt...7-mm-p/3720.htm

Confirmed the 1.25" focuser part Vixen #3720.

The company in the link is the US Vixen distributor and may not ship to Europe, so you would have to check with European sellers, or Ebay often has sellers in Japan selling it.

The focuser: check the smoothness of the motion. It should be smooth, like any focuser. But I would still jump on it even if the focuser is trashed.

Edited by Littlegreenman, 15 May 2021 - 05:12 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#10 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:23 PM

Go for it! waytogo.gif

• rcwolpert likes this

#11 Ydellago

Ydellago

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for all your help and advice! I have contacted the seller and it appears the scope does not come with a mount after all. Would €250 for just the scope still be an acceptable price, in your opinion? It will be a challenge to buy a decent second hand EQ mount that can handle this type of load, as these are not up for sale in my country (or Ebay Europe, for that matter) all that often, it seems. I'm toying around with the idea of building my own Dobsonian mount, that does not appear to be such a difficult project. Any suggestions?

• Terra Nova likes this

#12 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:44 AM

That is a great price for the OTA, they usually go for twice that. If you need a mount, there are several SP/GP and/or the DX versions on the German Ebay sites. There is also a coma corrector on sale.

That appears to be a really old version, so make sure the coatings are still good before you buy.

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 16 May 2021 - 12:27 PM

I agree! That’s a good price. They have excellent mirrors. Get it and make a lovely, nicely finished wooden dob base for it.

• Steve_M_M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Eyepieces, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics