•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help IDing Mirror — Supposed to be Meade Starfinder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DSalters

DSalters

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:45 PM

The picture below is of the writing on the back of my 16" f/4.5 mirror. Obviously, diameter, focal ratio, and focal length are the main numbers, but it also looks like it has the date 2/2000 which is hard to see. There are also what look like initials "JC"??? Are these all possibly markings from a previous recoating, refiguring, or just typical script from the original producer. It is believed to be an older Meade mirror.

Thanks for anyone's guidance.

IMG_0445.jpg

#2 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Messenger

• Loc: Harmony, NY USA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:39 PM

I used to have a Meade Starfinder 12.5".  That mirror only had one thing written on it, and that writing was on the edge, the focal length in inches.  No other marks at all.

#3 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:43 PM

Moving to ATM, Optics, and DIY Forum

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:55 PM

J. C. Wilkinson, from Galaxy Optics, used to Initial mirrors he worked on with just such a signature.  I had a 10" and an 8" figured by him.  Sometimes he used 'periods' (.) after the letters, and once in a while would write his whole name, JC Wilkinson. 

Your original Meade mirror may have been swapped out for one of his, or been sent in to Galaxy for refiguring.

#5 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Viking 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

J. C. Wilkinson, from Galaxy Optics, used to Initial mirrors he worked on with just such a signature.  I had a 10" and an 8" figured by him.  Sometimes he used 'periods' (.) after the letters, and once in a while would write his whole name, JC Wilkinson. 

Your original Meade mirror may have been swapped out for one of his, or been sent in to Galaxy for refiguring.

Jerry wasn't working for Galaxy in 2000.  The back of that mirror looks like some other Meade mirrors I have seen.  Coating Companies just put a label on.

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:21 PM

I had heard (and read) that he still did some work for them up until 2003.  I could be wrong of course!  And, without a real 'provenance', there's no telling where this mirror's been. 

#7 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:37 AM

Yes, it is definitely a Meade 16" f/4.5.
I've had a couple of 12.5" f/4.8 Meade mirrors with this gentleman's initials and both were very good mirrors.
And as it has already been stated, these do not belong to Jerry Wilkerson.

#8 DSalters

DSalters

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:06 AM

This is all great information and is enjoyable to hear about. I just found this thread from a few years back with the same writing and similar uncertainties in agreement on it. https://www.cloudyni...the-years-2001/

Thank you all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics