•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP settings to make pause between frames?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:26 PM

Hi Fellows!

Hope that everyone is looking up to the clear skies, shooting the stars and making wonderful plans for this weekend!

I am learning how to do AP with my new camera (QHY600M), I live in California ( it is about 24C at 9pm frown.gif ) but I am trying to cool my camera to -15C. It can do! close 100% of capacity but it is here! 

The issue I faced is making bias frames at this temperatures it seems that my camera starting to warm if I do a lot of fast frames. I started w/ -15C and went to bed, in the morning I found out that sensor's temp is slowly but steadily had been going up ending with the last frame at -10C.  frown.gif    In the same night I did dark frames (240s) there was not such effect. all darks were -15C. I do not think that is is  a technical issue of the camera opf any sort its' specs -35C below ambient and it does almost -40C.

My question - if anyone knows if I can add pauses between frames in SGP? so like 1 bais frame and then wait  for like 5-10  seconds so cooling system can work. it should help (i guess). I could not find such setting in SGP... does it exist?

Obviously I can decrease sensor temp but at the price of more noise frown.gif I have no problems with lights and darks (should re-consider flats) and obviously have it with bias frames.... 

UPD: just tried it again. Sensor temp stabilized at -15C at 68% cooling capacity. after 5 bias frames it became -14.5C  so I stopped :(

Thank you! 

Best,

Andrey

Attached Thumbnails

• sensor temp.jpg

Edited by dron2015, 15 May 2021 - 12:30 AM.

#2 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:17 AM

In the sequence panel there is an option to set a pause between frames. But the easiest way to solve the problem is to put the camera in a cold and dark place, such as a closet or even the refrigerator.

• dron2015 likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:21 AM

Hi Fellows!

Hope that everyone is looking up to the clear skies, shooting the stars and making wonderful plans for this weekend!

I am learning how to do AP with my new camera (QHY600M), I live in California ( it is about 24C at 9pm frown.gif ) but I am trying to cool my camera to -15C. It can do! close 100% of capacity but it is here! 

The issue I faced is making bias frames at this temperatures it seems that my camera starting to warm if I do a lot of fast frames. I started w/ -15C and went to bed, in the morning I found out that sensor's temp is slowly but steadily had been going up ending with the last frame at -10C.  frown.gif    In the same night I did dark frames (240s) there was not such effect. all darks were -15C. I do not think that is is  a technical issue of the camera opf any sort its' specs -35C below ambient and it does almost -40C.

My question - if anyone knows if I can add pauses between frames in SGP? so like 1 bais frame and then wait  for like 5-10  seconds so cooling system can work. it should help (i guess). I could not find such setting in SGP... does it exist?

Obviously I can decrease sensor temp but at the price of more noise frown.gif I have no problems with lights and darks (should re-consider flats) and obviously have it with bias frames.... 

Thank you! 

Best,

Andrey

The difference in darks between -10 and -15 is insignificant.  At least enough so that throwing away total imaging time with pauses is _very_ likely to be counterproductive.

Good discussion here, nice graphs illustrating the point.  Note that cooling to -15 gets you almost nothing over -10, with a modern CMOS camera.  I try to run my CMOS cameras at no more than 50% capacity, they can cool there with less effort, and easily maintain a constant temperature, even with the very short subs I do with for bias.

Your problem is simply trying to cool too much.

This is not a case where more is better.   You hit diminishing returns, fast.  0C is quite likely to be "good enough".

https://www.youtube....h?v=3RH93UvP358

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 May 2021 - 12:28 AM.

• jdupton and dron2015 like this

#4 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:39 AM

In the sequence panel there is an option to set a pause between frames. But the easiest way to solve the problem is to put the camera in a cold and dark place, such as a closet or even the refrigerator

In my case, unfortunately only warm garage frown.gif

where is this pause setting?  I mean I know I can manually pause or instead of one 1 event of 100 frames create 100 events and add extra events between them for pausing. But Iw as hoiping if there is an autmatic pause between frame option available.... if you know where is it -0 I would appreciate the help!

UPD - I think I found where is it. As usual - on the most obvious place neglected by me :) thank you!!

Best,

Andrey

Edited by dron2015, 15 May 2021 - 01:05 AM.

#5 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:41 AM

The difference in darks between -10 and -15 is insignificant.  At least enough so that throwing away total imaging time with pauses is _very_ likely to be counterproductive.

Good discussion here, nice graphs illustrating the point.  Note that cooling to -15 gets you almost nothing over -10, with a modern CMOS camera.  I try to run my CMOS cameras at no more than 50% capacity, they can cool there with less effort, and easily maintain a constant temperature, even with the very short subs I do with for bias.

Your problem is simply trying to cool too much.

This is not a case where more is better.   You hit diminishing returns, fast.  0C is quite likely to be "good enough".

https://www.youtube....h?v=3RH93UvP358

yeah, next time I will step down to -5C. this time a have already collected the light frames and have been trying to create all calibration frames.

thanks much for the link - watching it now!

Best,

Andrey

#6 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:08 AM

UPD: it seems that I found it. it is on the main panel and was neglected by me for ages. thanks much everyone for your help! I am trying to test it now and hope that adding pauses like 30sec will help me to do the bais. Further I will increase sensor temp surely!

Edited by dron2015, 15 May 2021 - 01:14 AM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics