•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I'd like to try to make a Milky Way mosaic

Astrophotography Beginner DSLR
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:13 AM

Begginer here, but I've been following this hobby online for 2 years.

I'd like to know if someone had done a mosaic of the Milky Way with around 50-70mm focal lenght.

I'd like to capture data all summer and stitch around 30 photos (or more) of 1 hour data.

Is it possible or do I need to make modifications to my project and do you have any tips for me?

Mounts: Star Adventurer. Camera: Canon 550D. Lens: Canon 24-70 f/4 (I'll use it at 50 or 70mm at f/5.6).

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:48 AM

I have done this with my Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8 and my Canon 600D/T3i. Unfortunately, the star quality is mediocre in the corners even at f/2.8:

post-273658-0-05844800-1587222853.jpg

Capture details / Astrobin (50%) / Gigapan (100%)

I'd recommend a ball head or 3-axis head to enable a Cartesian coordinate scheme for maximum overlap. Sticking with just RA/DEC coordinates gives you gores on a spherical coordinate system with uneven overlap.

BQ

• james7ca and Boven like this

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:29 AM

My only comment is that you'd want dark skies without light domes, since light pollution will compromise the blending of your images.

• Boven likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, DSLR

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics