•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuel

Emanuel

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

Im looking for a portable power box for my setup. Recently i bought a Zwo Asi Air Pro, but not the power source for it, because my idea is to have a totally independent system from wall wired power sources, like ive been doing so far.

So, my setup consists of the RainbowAstro RST 135 mount, the Zwo Asi Air Pro, the Zwo 120 mini camera, the modiffied NikonD5300 camera with the normal batteries and a dummy battery, and eventually the dew heaters for the Takahashi FSQ 106 ED and the Qhyccd mini guider scope.

I saw this Ice Hole Power box on youtube, and i was wondering if it could fill all my power needs, if yes, is it possible to find it in Europe, to avoid customs fees, or, is there better options for my setup.

https://www.youtube....yI2Yy1C_uU&t=2s

Thanks

Emanuel

#2 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

Seems a lot of people simply use a 12 volt marine battery, you can run them down and recharge without causing problems. There are nice plastic containers available, too.

• Emanuel likes this

#3 mashirts

mashirts

Viking 1

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:18 AM

If you go the marine/RV deep cycle battery route make sure it mentions RV or deep cycle as well.  Some marine lead/acid batteries are just high cranking amps for starting large boat motors.

Lead acid batteries are awfully heavy, but predictably 1/10 the cost of the same rated lithium batteries.  And much more lenient in regards to recharging.

• Emanuel and AstroKerr like this

#4 PhilPassmore

PhilPassmore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

I would consider using a bank of lithium iron phosphate cells (lifepo4) to give you whatever voltage and lifetime you need. They have several advantages over lead/acid in that they tolerate much deeper discharge, and have better expected cycle life. Advantage over other lithium chemistry is that they are much safer and unlikely to create the sort of conflagration that can result from the mistreatment of lithium polymer (lipo) of the type commonly used by the model making fraternity. They can be charged very quickly, including off vehicle electrics so can be kept in your car and topped off on the way to a venue.
  • Emanuel and mashirts like this

#5 Emanuel

Emanuel

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:59 AM

I was thinking on Lithium batteries. They are more expensive, but lighter. This Ice Hole Power Box seems nice and extremly portable. I just dont know if it will be enough for what i need.

I mean: power cable from the battery to the Asi Air? And everything else to the Asi Air? Mount, guide camera, dew heaters? And the Nikon? Can i power it from the Asi Air? I know that the Dslr can be connected to the AAP for shutter release, but not sure if i can connect the dummy battery to it. I believe the specs are 7V-9V, 2.5A.

#6 jdk

jdk

Messenger

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:22 PM

I just picked up this 12V deep cycle AGM 100AH battery. I have it powering everything from my laptop to my camera using step up (19V for the laptop) or step down (8V for the DSLR) voltage converters (available on amazon for about $20 each). I don't know why I hesitated to get one for so long.  

My last imaging session lasted 7 hours. Temperatures hit about 50F overnight. After powering my DSLR, mount (with an above average amount of slewing around), USB hub, and my 15" laptop with screen on all night, the battery was only drained to 93%. 

You will need a cheap multimeter to dial in the correct voltage on the converters. They use a little set screw to change the output. I also recommend soldering everything if you can - I don't trust crush connections for field use.

• Emanuel and Geokolb1 like this

#7 Emanuel

Emanuel

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:03 PM

Very nice. That is a very good solution :)

#8 PhilPassmore

PhilPassmore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:44 PM

The step up and down converters (commonly refered to as buck and boost modules) are readily available on AliExpress at a fraction of the price of amazon, well worth considering. A sensible approach is to do an 'energy audit' to work out your power requirements for a night of viewing, add a decent overhead (perhaps 50 percent) and size your battery supply to suit.
  • Emanuel likes this

#9 PhilPassmore

PhilPassmore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

The step up and down converters (commonly refered to as buck and boost modules) are readily available on AliExpress at a fraction of the price of amazon, well worth considering. A sensible approach is to do an 'energy audit' to work out your power requirements for a night of viewing, add a decent overhead (perhaps 50 percent) and size your battery supply to suit.
  • Emanuel and jdk like this

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:01 PM

I've had terrible luck with those cheap step down convertors.  They always fail (for me).  There is a company selling a DC voltage adapter on Amazon; seems to work better than my poorly procured Chinese ones I had to wire myself and the cost isn't significantly less. 

• Emanuel likes this

#11 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:22 PM

I've had terrible luck with those cheap step down convertors.  They always fail (for me).  There is a company selling a DC voltage adapter on Amazon; seems to work better than my poorly procured Chinese ones I had to wire myself and the cost isn't significantly less. 

There is a manufacturer called DROK that makes good quality buck and boost converters.  Some no-name junk from Ali is exactly that: junk.

• Emanuel, Raginar and jdupton like this

#12 Emanuel

Emanuel

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:30 AM

Yes, totally agree with you guys. These days i keep away from Ali express like the devil runs away from the cross. Dont get me wrong, its like this everywere. There are extremly good products everywere and...extremly bad products everywere. I prefer to pay a little more, and at least have the idea that i was better served.

• t-ara-fan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics