•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M 3 central zone

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pedrovillamiel

pedrovillamiel

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alcorcón, Madrid. España

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

M 3  CG clase VI en CVn.   Mag. 6.3,  size  18 arcmin

T350, 200x. Bortle 5 (cielo suburbano), SQM 20.99.

8.5.2021, Cenicientos, Pedro Villamiel.

Black paper, light gray pastel pencil for the stars and white pastel pencil for the background. Drawing made on the field sketch.   scanning without any digital retouching added.

The first thing is to clarify the title. The image in the eyepiece of M3 is the one seen in the drawing, but in reality M 3 is twice as big, what happens is that due to the quality of the sky and the equipment we use we will perceive the size of the object and in this case the angular size of M 3 in the drawing is about 9 arcmin, when in reality its angular size is about 18 arcmin. For this reason I thought it appropriate to call it "central zone" to give it a more realistic context.

Field notes: This CG is very very bright, very very large, round and very rich in stars, almost all of similar brightness, apart from the unresolved ones. Its heart is broad and round with a brightness that drops almost suddenly to a gradually dissolving halo. The main characteristic of M 3 is that it does not have very striking features such as chains of stars or more or less bright areas that break the roundness that appears from the first glance.

The second thing is to take the opportunity to tell you that I have made a wed page in which I have already put almost all my recent drawings, including this one and where you can find more information and data about this drawing of M3 and the others.

This is the link to the wed page:
https://606733b16f306.site123.me/

Best regards.
Pedro Villamiel

Attached Thumbnails

• M 3 dibujo 5.2021 hang .jpg

Edited by pedrovillamiel, 15 May 2021 - 01:45 PM.

• hbanich, Magellanico, rodelaet and 21 others like this

#2 AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

Vostok 1

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:08 AM

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

• flt158 likes this

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:45 AM

I like everything about this drawing Pedro.Especially the partial perimeter of doubles around the core,something that always catches my eye.

• flt158 likes this

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

Pedro,

Beautifully sketched. A very fine rendition of this classic bright globular cluster.

Frank :)

• flt158 likes this

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:45 AM

Pedro,

Very nice sketch of M-3 Central Zone smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Skylab

• Loc: Hove, Belgium (51°N 4°E)

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:43 PM

Beautiful sketch!

Black paper, light gray pastel pencil for the stars and white pastel pencil for the background. Drawing made on the field sketch. Inverted without any digital retouching added.

I don't understand. Black paper doesn't need to be inverted.

#7 pedrovillamiel

pedrovillamiel

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alcorcón, Madrid. España

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:49 PM

Jef, thanks for the heads up. It was a mistake, I meant to say "scanned". I have corrected it and I apologize.
Thanks to all of you who have commented on the drawing and also to those who have liked it.
Pedro.

#8 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:40 AM

Pedro, this is a fine presentation of your view of M3. I agree with you that this globular cluster does not have very strong features that makes it recognizable and therefore it's hard to show the characteristics. But you did a great job at it, well done!

Regards, Martijn

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics