•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying a new CPC1100 HD Deluxe - only to find I've been sold a used one

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

Hi,

(I wasn’t sure which section to place this post in. It’s about buying a new telescope only to find that I have been sold a previously used one.)

I wanted to share my experience – nightmare – as a way of getting the shock off of my chest and also to see if what happened to me has happened to others, too.

I bought what was held out for sale as a brand new Celestron CPC1100 Deluxe HD. I thought it strange that this seller – a huge Photo & Video outlet in New York, USA – had this telescope in stock when all other sellers were out of stock. Plus, it was on ‘promotion’………

So, I bought the telescope and it arrived a few days later. Straight away I could see warning signs. The box itself looked very old and filthy. Half of the top was missing, and the inner carton had been opened with the official Celestron security tape having been cut open. I took photos and advised the seller straight away.

As I unpacked the telescope, it became very apparent to me very quickly that the contents had been unpacked before. The telescope accessories were either already opened or just not packed as they would have been from the factory (I’ve had several Celestron scope before.)

When I unpacked the OTA and mount, my suspicions were confirmed. The mirror clutches had all been left open, there was Velcro around the corrector plate cover to help keep it on, there were a couple of those little rubber bungs that are used to seal up electrical ports placed in the control panel ports – and, worst of all – a series of small but deep white scratches across the one side of the corrector plate.

I was / am both shocked and totally disappointed. I know this stuff happens and that this is how the world turns round, but still……. I’d waited months and months for this telescope and then receive a previously used, damaged one. I requested an RMA and am due to return the telescope to them next week for a refund. 

I have had a few items from this seller before that have shown clear signs of previous use. I took it up with them and they flatly deny ever selling returns or previously used goods as new goods. My experience shows otherwise.

So, has this ever happened to you? I suppose it would give me some comfort knowing I’m not the only to experience this! Thanks for reading.

PS I have since asked a trusted but much smaller seller to order me another telescope and they have kindly agreed to inspect the scope for me before shipping it on to me.

Siouxsie 

• Stevencbradley likes this

#2 Medic002

Medic002

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:24 AM

I have not ever bought a new telescope and sorry to hear that a company tried to rip you off. I am curious why you have so many telescopes with 2 of the 11 inch almost being the same? Doesn't seem like there will be a whole lot of difference between the hd edge and the xlt. Personally i always like to look at what I am going to purchase when it costs a lot especially something like that might be worth a drive to see it in person. Shipping costs are high usually anyway. Heavy big packages are probably handled by so many people during transit and each time it arrives at a new location I'm sure at least one person is mad about it being big and heavy and decides to be rough with it.

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:33 AM

Siouxsie, thanks for sharing. I don't recall ever buying a new telescope myself, but I have bought many new eyepieces and recall the excitement of anticipating, receiving, opening and using them. To pay for a brand new item and get something used and abused instead would be more than disappointing. I'd definitely feel betrayed to say the least!

I deal with only a handful of companies and have never been disappointed by any of them, fortunately. It sounds like you've found one that needs to be avoided.

• AstroCub likes this

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:41 AM

I have not ever bought a new telescope and sorry to hear that a company tried to rip you off. I am curious why you have so many telescopes with 2 of the 11 inch almost being the same? Doesn't seem like there will be a whole lot of difference between the hd edge and the xlt. Personally i always like to look at what I am going to purchase when it costs a lot especially something like that might be worth a drive to see it in person. Shipping costs are high usually anyway. Heavy big packages are probably handled by so many people during transit and each time it arrives at a new location I'm sure at least one person is mad about it being big and heavy and decides to be rough with it.

"I am curious why you have so many telescopes...."....???????????????????

If you look at the signatures of MANY CN Members, you'll note that a large number have many more than just 11 Telescopes!  As to myself, I have had as many as 30 at one time, and some might even say that a couple were 'similar'.  I note you're relatively new to the site here, so it may take some time to understand why some of us do acquire so many.  But, as you go on, you'll probably start to understand.  It's perfect ly normal!

• Orion68, Tfer, AstroCub and 1 other like this

#5 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:49 AM

I've only bought one new scope, from Orion, and it came new.  Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had.  The one "huge Photo & Video outlet in New York, USA" place I have dealt with clearly lists their used items separately.  I've ordered a couple of used items from them, and those arrived in very good condition.  I hope you've reviewed your dealer publicly, so they start to understand customer service.

#6 ebk28

ebk28

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:52 AM

I bought on line a Celestron CGX and 1100 EdgeHD combo from a major NY retailer in early March. It was also on a "nominal" sale (2% discount). They received the mount in about 2 weeks but were holding on to it till they got the OTA. After about a month of waiting, I asked them to ship me the mount which they did. It came in fine condition, looked like new, never opened. Box was a bit beat up since the shipping was all the way out to California. I am still waiting for OTA, and the seller has no information on when the delivery will happen despite their repeated check with the Celestron HQ in US. I read on other posts here that some deliveries of OTA from Celestron are taking 6 month or more!

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:55 AM

I have had a similar experience with the exact same sellers (there are 2 big 'Photo & Video' outlets in NY, and both have the same practices!).  In 2014 I received a 'new' Scope/Mount/Tripod from them, and found it to be CLEARLY used and abused.  I called, raised a stink, sent it back, and received a refund.

But I didn't let it go there.......  I contacted their 'sales manager' and reminded him that selling Returns/Seconds/Open Box Items as 'NEW', without noting that they were 'Used', was ILLEGAL in 49 of the 50 States, and my State and Theirs was among them.  The email exchange that followed was unbelievable!  I won't reprint that exchange here, with names and email addresses, for obvious legal reasons, but the first response I got asked me "What do you care what we do?  You got your money back, didn't you?"

When I pointed out that what they were doing was against the law, their final reply was: "Well, don't buy from us then!".

I have saved that whole exchange to this day, and anyone who visits me is free to read it!

Needless to say, I haven't done any business with them since, and won't again.  Unfortunately, during the Covid Shortage, some other companies, whom most, including me, would consider 'reputable', have occasionally slipped into the same practice. Tough times indeed........

• AstroCub likes this

#8 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:05 AM

Hello Siouxsie,

Thank you for sharing, I believe I know the company you are dealing with and I have had very good service from them in the past and I find that a little shocking that this happened to you. The CPC1100HD should most certainly been listed as NOT NEW, NOT OPEN BOX, but USED. I am sorry for your disappointment, especially from that company. FWIW about a year ago I wrecked one of those CPC 1100HD's and it was a total loss. talk about diapoinmemt but that one was all on me.  The long waits for new gear is often annoying in it self but look on the bright side, you will receive a nice new  bright and shiny CPC1100 Super Delux HD.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• AstroCub likes this

#9 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:19 AM

I presume you were dealing with either Adorama or B&H.  I bought many items from each over the years.  I also returned a few items.  Definitely reject this shipment and get your money back.  Don't let them bully you either.  Look for some used ones under the classified if you need/want one quickly.

#10 deansjc

deansjc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:38 AM

Clearly what the retailer did was wrong. Had it merely been a case of an item being opened and inspected and returned pristine, IMHO that would be fine.

It is fine for you to share this on CN. Thanks for doing so.

However, you really should do many the extra good turn of naming the bad actor. You would merely be relaying the facts. It would be a great service to forum members.

John
  • millsbob and Stevencbradley like this

#11 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:47 AM

Aha!!!!!!

So you're the person who goes round on Amazon, answering people's product questions with:

"I don't know, I haven't got one of those"

• RedLionNJ, Tfer, mlord and 1 other like this

#12 Medic002

Medic002

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

Aha!!!!!!

So you're the person who goes round on Amazon, answering people's product questions with:

"I don't know, I haven't got one of those"

I'm not sure what you are referring to I have not posted many times so far on forums but yes I do buy items on amazon. I have made a couple references to an item on Amazon that I have looked at and referred a case that I bought. Don't know what is the big deal about that. I get your sarcasm and why someone ripped you off now with that attitude and welcome to ignore list.

Edited by Medic002, 16 May 2021 - 04:20 PM.

#13 Seiten

Seiten

Vostok 1

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:24 PM

I've had companies do this to me for both small and medium size/cost items ... once. But never twice! Trust is a big thing with me. If they can't be trusted to send a small item as it was advertised, I'm sure they would do it with a large item given there is a chance profit from it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but part of me wonders why you let them do this to you again?
  • AstroCub likes this

#14 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

I've had companies do this to me for both small and medium size/cost items ... once. But never twice! Trust is a big thing with me. If they can't be trusted to send a small item as it was advertised, I'm sure they would do it with a large item given there is a chance profit from it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but part of me wonders why you let them do this to you again?

Hi,

That is a fair question. It's easy to be wise in hindsight. I probably also gave them too much benefit of the doubt regarding my previous purchases, putting previous problems down to human error instead of what they actually were - ripping me off. 

I think the answer is also because for all other items, such as eyepieces, batteries, etc their prices are usually the lowest, usually free shipping and their customer service service is actually really good.

Regarding telescopes, I think / feel when supply is plentiful they will ship new, unused items. But when supply is tight or non existent then they probably cobble together returns / repairs to make seemingly new items and then ship them out. I certainly won't be buying telescopes from them again, that's for sure.

• Jethro7 and Seiten like this

#15 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:43 PM

I'm not sure what you are referring to I have not posted many times so far on forums but yes I do buy items on amazon. I have made a couple references to an item on Amazon that I have looked at and referred a case that I bought. Don't know what is the big deal about that. I get your sarcasm and why someone ripped you off now with that attitude and welcome to ignore list.

I wasd pulling your leg about my Amazon comment - I am sorry if I offended you.

It's just really annoying, tbh, when someone starts asking why someone needs the3 telescopes that they want to buy - and that annoyance reminded me of the annoying ppl on Amazon who answer ppls questions with complete irrelevance. 

Again, sorry if I caused offence, none was meant.

Siouxsie 

• jpengstrom likes this

#16 Orion68

Orion68

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:53 PM

Sorry to hear this happened to you. 

I had the same experience a number of years ago from a well known astronomy dealer. My purchase was supposed to be a new TMB 5" APO. Not new at all so I requested a return. The dealer balked at first. Then they agreed to the return but wanted to charge me shipping. Finally had to get the credit card company involved to get my money back.

I've never purchased from that dealer again. Good luck with your return.

• AstroCub likes this

#17 Seiten

Seiten

Vostok 1

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:39 PM

If nothing else, Ive learned from your story that if I intend to make a major purchase from a store from these NYC vendors, that I would get a human on the phone and have a conversation about what is actually advertised.  I should probably get verbal affirmation that the item is in unopened and new condition and probably record the conversation within what's allowed by state law.

I dont believe market opportunity should be exploited by a seller by lying about a product.  The lucrative used market here on CN should be enough proof that you can sell used items pretty easy when the demand is so high.

Hi,

That is a fair question. It's easy to be wise in hindsight. I probably also gave them too much benefit of the doubt regarding my previous purchases, putting previous problems down to human error instead of what they actually were - ripping me off. 

I think the answer is also because for all other items, such as eyepieces, batteries, etc their prices are usually the lowest, usually free shipping and their customer service service is actually really good.

Regarding telescopes, I think / feel when supply is plentiful they will ship new, unused items. But when supply is tight or non existent then they probably cobble together returns / repairs to make seemingly new items and then ship them out. I certainly won't be buying telescopes from them again, that's for sure.

• AstroCub likes this

#18 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:19 PM

If nothing else, Ive learned from your story that if I intend to make a major purchase from a store from these NYC vendors, that I would get a human on the phone and have a conversation about what is actually advertised.  I should probably get verbal affirmation that the item is in unopened and new condition and probably record the conversation within what's allowed by state law.

I dont believe market opportunity should be exploited by a seller by lying about a product.  The lucrative used market here on CN should be enough proof that you can sell used items pretty easy when the demand is so high.

Hi Seiten

I hear you but you have to bear this point in mind - the larger the company, the more distant the customer service team will be from the business end IE the warehouse / shipping dept. 

You can get some charming person on the phone who will reaasure you of this or that basically just tell you what you want to hear but they will have no sway or influence on what gets shipped to you.

My solution is to find a smaller, trusted company where the person you speak to on the phone is also likely to be hands on shipping your order, too. I am very fortunate that I have found a trusted dealer, Alpine Astronomical in this case, who has kindly offered to inspect my new telescope when it gets shipped from Celestron (not until next year - which goes to show the dealer I bought my damaged one from could not possibly have had new stock) and they will then ship it on to me. Companies like Alpine might not be able to compete with the likes of BH Photo (BOOOOOO) $$$ wise but at least I trust them - and that trust and peace of mind can't be bought in my book.

Good luck with your future purchases and clear skies!!!

Siouxsie 

Edited by AstroCub, 18 May 2021 - 08:13 PM.

• Jim4321 and Jethro7 like this

#19 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:38 AM

Hello Souxsie,

Alpine Astronomical, is an amazing company. Their customer service is off the chain. They replaced a Baader Zeiss prism Diagonal that I dropped and broke. There was no questions asked. I did not even buy it from them, I just sent the diagonal to them and Alpine Astronomical sent me a brand new shiny one.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#20 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:42 PM

Hello Souxsie,

Alpine Astronomical, is an amazing company. Their customer service is off the chain. They replaced a Baader Zeiss prism Diagonal that I dropped and broke. There was no questions asked. I did not even buy it from them, I just sent the diagonal to them and Alpine Astronomical sent me a brand new shiny one.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Oh I agree, I've had the best customer service from any company ever from them. Bob there is incredibly helpful & kind.

#21 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:19 PM

Oh I agree, I've had the best customer service from any company ever from them. Bob there is incredibly helpful & kind.

Hello Astrocub 

I agree, I called Alpine Astro, to see if the Diagonal could be fixed. They just told me send it to them and a couple of weeks later I received a new one. I have a lot of Astro gear on backorder from them. The long waits are no fault of theirs. Every now and again I get a shipment notice. Alpine Astro' s customer service keeps me shopping with them. To tell the truth I am a Baader Planetarium Junkie and they are the Baader resource here in the U.S.A. Their are other companies with like customer service also. This is Sioxsie's topic here and I know without question that Alpine Astro will treat her right.

Edited by Jethro7, 18 May 2021 - 01:23 PM.

#22 AstroCub

AstroCub

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:37 PM

Hello Astrocub 

I agree, I called Alpine Astro, to see if the Diagonal could be fixed. They just told me send it to them and a couple of weeks later I received a new one. I have a lot of Astro gear on backorder from them. The long waits are no fault of theirs. Every now and again I get a shipment notice. Alpine Astro' s customer service keeps me shopping with them. To tell the truth I am a Baader Planetarium Junkie and they are the Baader resource here in the U.S.A. Their are other companies with like customer service also. This is Sioxsie's topic here and I know without question that Alpine Astro will treat her right.

I think you could call me a Baader junkie, too! I have 4 Baader diagonals - 2 Amici prisms and 2 mirrors. I think once someone has tried a click-lock there really is no going back!! 

For anyone interested, I have my CPC Edge on order with Alpine Astro and Celestron have given a tentative delivery time of December. I'm happy to wait to wait though and just grateful this story may have a happy ending.

• Jethro7 likes this

#23 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for posting.

I'm in Australia and have to buy my gear from interstate stores and from overseas, often UK or USA. The Australian stores are good, and I have used trustworthy overseas stores. You have to trust them, why should you have to drive over to check them out.

Incidentally I have six astronomical instruments, all used for different purposes.

• AstroCub likes this

#24 Old Man

Old Man

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:50 PM

I just have to throw my penny in here in defense of both the NY big stores. I have been a customer of them for over 25 years, scope equipment, camera equip., tripods and mounts. This was way before I even had a computer, just looked in the big printed catalogs and ordered. Never a problem!

I just found they had the Celestron 9x50 RACI I needed in stock, ordered and received a brand new item.

It could have been the guy doing the picking and packing just saw a box with what you ordered and grabbed it without even looking at it for used or new. In these trying times of little to no stock, I say give them a chance to correct their mistake.

This is just my opinion, for what it is worth. You hardly ever hear of good service and items, only the ones that have not been happy is what you will hear.

Thanks, Mike aka Old Man

Flame suit on!!!!!!!!!!

#25 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:39 PM

<snip>

I have had a few items from this seller before that have shown clear signs of previous use. I took it up with them and they flatly deny ever selling returns or previously used goods as new goods. My experience shows otherwise.

<snip>

Siouxsie 

I just have to throw my penny in here in defense of both the NY big stores. I have been a customer of them for over 25 years, scope equipment, camera equip., tripods and mounts. This was way before I even had a computer, just looked in the big printed catalogs and ordered. Never a problem!

I just found they had the Celestron 9x50 RACI I needed in stock, ordered and received a brand new item.

It could have been the guy doing the picking and packing just saw a box with what you ordered and grabbed it without even looking at it for used or new. In these trying times of little to no stock, I say give them a chance to correct their mistake.

This is just my opinion, for what it is worth. You hardly ever hear of good service and items, only the ones that have not been happy is what you will hear.

Thanks, Mike aka Old Man

Flame suit on!!!!!!!!!!

My experience mirrors yours, Mike, but that sentence in her very first post put this in the "I can't defend them" department for me.

Edited by wrvond, 18 May 2021 - 06:40 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics