•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I can't process my images properly in Autostakkert!

Astrophotography Beginner Celestron Imaging Moon
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TangledPoet

TangledPoet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to this hobby. I took about 800 images of the moon over the span of an hour, an while stacking these images, I noticed Autostakkert doesn't account for field rotation. How might I fix this?

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to this hobby. I took about 800 images of the moon over the span of an hour, an while stacking these images, I noticed Autostakkert doesn't account for field rotation. How might I fix this?

Might this be user error? Did you enter the required parameters?

as_exp.jpg

#3 astroflak88

astroflak88

Messenger

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:14 AM

The moon doesnt rotate that fast. What kind of camera are you using and are you doing a full disc or an up close detailed shot of moon?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

#4 TangledPoet

TangledPoet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

The moon doesnt rotate that fast. What kind of camera are you using and are you doing a full disc or an up close detailed shot of moon?

I'm using a Nikon D3400, attached to the back of the Celestron 8SE (With the standard Alt/Az mount included). It's a full disc shot, about 55% illuminated. I've noticed that the area around the image stabilization anchor is stacked nicely, and further out from this anchor the moon gets blurry because of the not properly stacked images. It is not a video, just 800 raw images.

#5 TangledPoet

TangledPoet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:36 AM

Might this be user error? Did you enter the required parameters?

attachicon.gifas_exp.jpg

I couldn't find this feature! Since i ran my raw images through Pipp first, and that software sorts the images by quality, they aren't sorted by the amount of rotation anymore. And for clarity, I have not made a video, these are 800 raw images that i ran through Pipp to make them tiff. files.

Edited by TangledPoet, 17 May 2021 - 09:39 AM.

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

An alt/az mount is going to introduce a lot of rotation over one hour. Frankly, I'm not sure whether you will be able to derotate the images in as precise of a way as needed for a good image of the moon. But, you don't need to sort the images by quality in PIPP and if you need to convert from a format that isn't supported in AutoStakkert! you can just have PIPP write the images in the order that they were named. However, I'm not sure how PIPP orders its input files, some sorts don't order alphanumeric names correctly (when what is needed is a timed sequence order).

#7 TangledPoet

TangledPoet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:57 AM

An alt/az mount is going to introduce a lot of rotation over one hour. Frankly, I'm not sure whether you will be able to derotate the images in as precise of a way as needed for a good image of the moon. But, you don't need to sort the images by quality in PIPP and if you need to convert from a format that isn't supported in AutoStakkert! you can just have PIPP write the images in the order that they were named. However, I'm not sure how PIPP orders its input files, some sorts don't order alphanumeric names correctly (when what is needed is a timed sequence order).

Yeah I've seriously thought about purchasing a EQ mount. Will make Deep sky way easier as well. Could I maybe derotate those images manually? That may take to long, but I'm willing to do this as long as I have an Alt/Az mount.

#8 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:06 AM

Yeah I've seriously thought about purchasing a EQ mount. Will make Deep sky way easier as well. Could I maybe derotate those images manually? That may take to long, but I'm willing to do this as long as I have an Alt/Az mount.

I'd just let AutoStakkert! try to derotate as shown by RedLionNJ.

Also, PixInsight has an FFTRegistration script that handles rotation. However, it won't align as well as AutoStakkert! on "normal" lunar images. If you don't have PixInsight you can download a fully functional demo that is free to use for something like one month. But, I'd just try AutoStakkert!

Edited by james7ca, 17 May 2021 - 10:10 AM.

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:15 AM

Also, PixInsight has an FFTRegistration script that handles rotation. However, it won't align as well as AutoStakkert! on "normal" lunar images. If you don't have PixInsight you can download a fully functional demo that is free to use for something like one month. But, I'd just try AutoStakkert!

The menu for derotation is under 'Advanced..... Experimental Features & Parameter Tuning"

It's possible this will only work with an AVI (or better still, a SER) file. There may be an assumption about sequence of images and the timing between images ( e.g. final - initial all divided by number of images).  SER files contain an individual timestamp for each frame, so they're the best in this respect.

Personally - I've never used this feature. I have an MX+ :)

#10 TangledPoet

TangledPoet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

The menu for derotation is under 'Advanced..... Experimental Features & Parameter Tuning"

It's possible this will only work with an AVI (or better still, a SER) file. There may be an assumption about sequence of images and the timing between images ( e.g. final - initial all divided by number of images).  SER files contain an individual timestamp for each frame, so they're the best in this respect.

Personally - I've never used this feature. I have an MX+ smile.gif

Thanks to both of you! I'll update you both.

#11 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

While Grant (aka RedLionNJ) is correct that AS!3 can correct for field rotation, it can only do it for monochrome videos/images - on colour images have not been debayered it screws up the colour balance as shown here (on Saturn), but it does do a better job on videos that have been previously debayered (like your lunar shots taken with your DSLR). Fortunately for you the moon is mostly monochrome, so that will also help.

[EDIT]: AS!3 does NOT remove field rotation on colour videos/frames at all, Emil did not implement this feature. You can trick AS!3 to do it by claiming your frames are greyscale in the "Color" tab, but that will obviously remove all the colour. Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.cloudyni...r-altaz-mounts/

However, I personally believe that you won't see much improvement by stacking this many frames over such a long time with the derotation on. I have found that you can get a good result for the moon and stacking just a small number of frames (see the link below for a stack of 16/20 frames taken over a couple of minutes). 

https://www.cloudyni...r-and-c925-sct/

Good luck, interested to see the result (although if you post it here the moderators will probably shift it over to the Lunar board).

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 17 May 2021 - 05:55 PM.

• RedLionNJ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Celestron, Imaging, Moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics