•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacement focuser for ES 10 inch ultralight Dobsonian telescope

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 i53lccl5

i53lccl5

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Penn Valley, California

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:36 AM

Asking if anyone has replaced the 2 inch focuser on the Explore Scientific Ultralight 10 inch Dobsonian OTA. The original focuser was dinged during a public star party. I'm considering a helical focuser,  Moonlight focuser and JMI focuser. Sharing your thoughts and experiences is appreciated. 

#2 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:29 AM

Moving to Reflectors

#3 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:59 PM

I have a Moonlight on my 12" Dob and love it. Years ago I built a 10" f/5.5 with a helical focuser. I later upgraded to a Crayford - Got tired of the screwing / unscrewing when changing eyepieces. I found even with the single speed JMI Crayford (back in the '90s) I could focus with completely sufficient accuracy, sans the aggravation of the helical focuser. I later had a Meade 8" SN that came with a nice CNC helical. Despite having a spring-loaded ball bearing "thread", I replaced it as well.

YMMV, but FWIW.

#4 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:04 PM

If you get a Star Light Instruments focuser, you will never need to worry about whether you have the best focuser ever again.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:35 PM

I have three Starlight/Feathertouch focusers.  I never worry about having the best focuser whether it's a GSO or Feathertouch, they both do the job.

Personally I would look into repairing the current focuser or finding a drop in replacement.  Helical focusers are as Len says.. You do not want to go there.

Jon

• Bill Jensen, Chucky and Voyager 3 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics