•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR Pro question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moonwalker1968

Moonwalker1968

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:56 AM

Hi, 

I moved from a DSLR to an ASI 2600MC with my 16-inch reflector on a dual-axis equatorial platform with an MGEN autoguider and have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to use an ASIAIR Pro just for image acquisition: Connect the ASI 2600MC through a USB3 cable to the ASIAIR Pro device to save the fits images on its USB stick and control the camera through an Apple iPad Pro 12.9“ 4th gen. through WIFI and preview the images on the tablet? I don’t want to use ASIAIR for guiding, plate solving, meridian flip, polar alignment... - just for image aquisition. Is that possible? (I realize that I have to power the ASI 2600MC separately with a battery.) 

2) Can everything concerning image acquisition be set without a laptop through the tablet: Focusing, live preview, adjusting  and taking Lights (number of images, exposure time, cooling temperature, dew control), flats, darks, flatdarks?

3) Can I walk away with the tablet (so that WIFI is disconnected), let the tablet screen go black and reconnect to WIFI a half an hour later while the telescope is still taking images or does the tablet have to be connected through WIFI and be turned on all the time? 

4) Can I set the tablet in a way that I can just preview the images I want, not every single one (to save space)?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but the device seems to have so many features, it‘s hard to find answers to these questions. 

Best wishes, 

Markus 

www.utopia-photography.ch

#2 Jay6879

Jay6879

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:42 PM

Hi, 

I moved from a DSLR to an ASI 2600MC with my 16-inch reflector on a dual-axis equatorial platform with an MGEN autoguider and have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to use an ASIAIR Pro just for image acquisition: Connect the ASI 2600MC through a USB3 cable to the ASIAIR Pro device to save the fits images on its USB stick and control the camera through an Apple iPad Pro 12.9“ 4th gen. through WIFI and preview the images on the tablet? I don’t want to use ASIAIR for guiding, plate solving, meridian flip, polar alignment... - just for image aquisition. Is that possible? (I realize that I have to power the ASI 2600MC separately with a battery.) 

2) Can everything concerning image acquisition be set without a laptop through the tablet: Focusing, live preview, adjusting  and taking Lights (number of images, exposure time, cooling temperature, dew control), flats, darks, flatdarks?

3) Can I walk away with the tablet (so that WIFI is disconnected), let the tablet screen go black and reconnect to WIFI a half an hour later while the telescope is still taking images or does the tablet have to be connected through WIFI and be turned on all the time? 

4) Can I set the tablet in a way that I can just preview the images I want, not every single one (to save space)?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but the device seems to have so many features, it‘s hard to find answers to these questions. 

Best wishes, 

Markus 

www.utopia-photography.ch

1) Yes

2) Yes, one of the most amazing things about asiair pro. Everything can be done without a laptop

3) You don't need to be connected all the time. Once you set an auto run routine and start it the device will continue until the routine(s) are finished. You can also set options like send the mount back to home when finished as well. I'll sit there with it ajd set it up, do focusing, polar align, find my target and setup guiding. Then start the imaging routine and either turn off my wifi on my phone so I can still use it for the internet or whatever, or if I'm at home I'll go inside the house and switch to my house wifi.

Whenever I want to check in I'll just switch back to the asiair pro wifi and it'll show me where it's at.

4) I'm not totally sure I get what you mean here, there is a preview setting on the asiair that is meant to test all your settings and make sure everything is good to go before starting an imaging routine. Those preview images don't actually save to your device or the asiair. Each preview image is held temporarily until the next preview image loads. 

When you are in the middle of an imaging routine you can go and check out all the images that are saved.

As for the other features you say you won't be using you should give it a shot. The asiair is a one stop device that does it all, and does it all very well. The polar alignment utility is fantastic.

No worries these aren't stupid questions, I had the exact same questions a few months ago before I got mine ha.

#3 joeytroy

joeytroy

Viking 1

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:17 PM

(I realize that I have to power the ASI 2600MC separately with a battery.) 

You can just one of the power ports on the ASIAir Pro for this. No need for a battery unless you are talking a full battery for all your equipment. The ASIAir will do everything you need. I would also use it for guiding, plate solving, meridian flip, and polar alignment. With the new update the multi-star guiding is amazing!

#4 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:32 PM

Agreeing with the responses above, and adding 

4) the images get saved onto a USB key that comes with the AAP, so they don't take up space on your tablet. 

#5 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

The ASIAIR (Pro) will display every image it acquires on the tablet display, and will auto-save only Auto-Run sequences, and Live subs when "save individual frames" is checked on.  All other image saves are manual by touch of an on-screen 'Save' button.

All files saved to the SD Card (or optional USB stick) are FITS format.

In addition, some operations will save to your iOS/Android photo album.

In Preview Mode, the save button will save the un-stretched raw FITS file to the SD-Card (or USB Stick), and the stretched image to your devices photo album (iOS/Android)

In Auto-Sequence, the individual subs of all types (calibration, light, etc) will be saved as un-stretched raw FITS file to the SD-Card (or USB Stick)

In Live Mode, master calibration (bias, dark, flat) STACKS are saved as un-stretched raw FITS files to the SD-Card (or USB Stick) (Individual calibration subs are not saved)

In Live Mode, you can automatically save the individual LIGHT subs as un-calibrated un-stretched raw FITS files to the SD-Card (or USB Stick)

In Live Mode, the save button will save the current calibrated STACK as an un-stretched raw FITS file to the SD-Card (or USB Stick), and the current calibrated STACK as a stretched image to your devices photo album (iOS/Android)

You may have to "Allow Access" to your devices photo album when launching the ASIAIR App

Others have already posted answers for your other questions, but please take note of  "joeytroy"'s response regarding power, he is correct, you can power the 2600 from any of the power outputs of the ASIAIR.  Don't complicate things by trying to add another power source and cable just for the 2600, there is no need.

#6 Moonwalker1968

Moonwalker1968

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies. They have been very helpful! 

I can't use the polar alignment, meridian flip, go to, and plate solving functions of ASIAIR Pro since my 16-inch dobsonian is sitting on a dual-axis equatorial platform which doesn't support these functions:

DSCF0013.jpg

Best wishes,

Markus

#7 Jay6879

Jay6879

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:31 PM

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies. They have been very helpful! 

I can't use the polar alignment, meridian flip, go to, and plate solving functions of ASIAIR Pro since my 16-inch dobsonian is sitting on a dual-axis equatorial platform which doesn't support these functions:

DSCF0013.jpg

Best wishes,

Markus

You should be able to use the polar align features even if it isn't goto. I polar align manually using a Star Adventurer tracking mount and it works very well. Same with plate solving, I manually plate solve to find targets. Point in the general direction of the target, take a 2s exposure and plate solve. Compare the RA and dec coordinates to the object I'm looking for and make the adjustments. Plate solve and check where I'm at, rinse and repeat and as I get close to the object I use the annotation feature to do the final framing of the object.

#8 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

I think your data will suffer badly without dithering between frames. One cool function of asi air are the color binning options with the 2600.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics