•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

G11 Tripod vs. GM8 Tripod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Claytoncramer

Claytoncramer

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

I have a GM8 mount on a G11 tripod.  I think that I did this for the extra height I wanted for a refractor.  I have recently assembled a telescope storage shed.  I am considering a return to the GM8 tripod with the Losmandy 12" extension because the footprint of the GM8 tripod is a bit smaller than the G11 tripod.  I always found the GM8 tripod acceptable.  Does anyone have any opinions on whether the G11 tripod is overkill with a 5" f/7 refractor on a GM8 mount?

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:57 PM

The FHD tripod is a beast, and in my opinion is worth the extra $$$.  The FHD tripod is SUPER stable and will be great if you ever go to a bigger mount.  The FHD tripod only downside is that it is heavy, and therefore not ideal for transport. 

I have a G11 and plan on using its FHD tripod when I get my AP1100 in late summer.  I bought a LWD tripod to put my G11 on when I plan on running both rigs.

• limeyx likes this

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:22 PM

I have a GM8 mount on a G11 tripod.  I think that I did this for the extra height I wanted for a refractor.  I have recently assembled a telescope storage shed.  I am considering a return to the GM8 tripod with the Losmandy 12" extension because the footprint of the GM8 tripod is a bit smaller than the G11 tripod.  I always found the GM8 tripod acceptable.  Does anyone have any opinions on whether the G11 tripod is overkill with a 5" f/7 refractor on a GM8 mount?

I can't argue with your assessment, but I changed out my GM-8 LW tripod anyway.  Partly because I could, and partly because I didn't like the way the legs shook when I was setting it up, they weren't 120o apart, etc.  I now have Takahashi mahogany legs for my GM-8, which look really nice, but are quite heavy and it's harder to carry than either the stock HD or LW tripods because the Takahishi legs are so wide the gap between the legs doesn't fit my hand well.

Unintended consequences.

[edit] A photo of my "converted" GM-8:

Mount sma.jpg

I have since made a small tray/ spreader from some 1/2" plywood as well.  It at least keeps me from smashing my fingers by preventing the legs from crashing together when I pick my mount up.

Edited by macdonjh, 17 May 2021 - 09:47 PM.

• Raginar likes this

#4 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

I have done both configurations you discuss.  I absolutely think that you will see a difference with your 5 inch scope on a gm8 based on the tripod that you use.  I use the HD tripod with the 12 inch extension with my 5 inch scope.  No wiggles at all.  You will see some vibration with the smaller tripod.  Whether it is enough to bother you, vs the convenience of having a smaller/lighter footprint is something you will have decide.  It sounds like you have them, so try it and see.

JMD

#5 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:14 PM

The GM8 tripod is excellent for a light weight device, adding a 12" riser I believe will kill it's usefulness. Just not enough mass and leg spread for the height. Unless you are bolted down mas is a good friend.

#6 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

I actually like using the GM8 mount on a Meade tripod.  The Meade tripod seems beefier than the GM8 tripod, while having a bit smaller footprint than the GM11 tripod.  On the other hand, the GM11 tripod is otherwise superb and I don't necessarily think it would be overkill for your setup.

#7 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:34 PM

My Astro-Physics 130 f/8 does quite well on the GM8 on the LW tripod.

ap.jpg

I also have a G11 but I wound up selling the regular (non-folding) tripod and got a Berlebach Planet tripod for it. Original tripod weighed 27 lbs, Planet weighs 20.

• limeyx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics