•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Scopes for a Sky-Watcher GTI?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kiko27

kiko27

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SW CT

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

I know a 130mm Newtonian, and a 127 Mak will work. However, is there any other more powerful telescope that can ride on this mount? Also, is a 127 Mak a step up from a 130mm or not?

Edited by kiko27, 17 May 2021 - 11:00 AM.

#2 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

I use my AZ-GTi mount on a Bogen 475 tripod rated for 26 lbs, so I cannot speak for the stock tripod setup.  I often use a SV 102 Access refractor and 6" SCT on my GTi.  Both of these work very well even with my 2" eyepieces.  I've ran my Vixen VMC200L (14 or 15lbs) on the GTi but that was a little heavy and I could tell the gears were having to put in more work.  It also carries my 6" F/5 newt, but the newt is much more wobbly and shakey than my Access or C6 (due to the length and eyepiece location more so then the weight).  

The AZ-GTi is a fun mount.  I highly recommend it.  Love being able to control it with my iphone.

• kiko27 likes this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:46 AM

The 127mm is basically the same aperture regarding the mak so no there will be no noticeable difference whatsoever!?

i would personally try to go for shorter focal length overall OTA length as that will put less strain on the drives so maybe something like an 80-115mm ED refractor should partner well with the gti mount,you might even get away with a skywatcher 150mm mak as the tube length is not long and you will have a better centre of gravity and obviously make sure the scope is in reasonable balance!?.i also a few years back now puchased a preowned skywatcher 150 mak and used it with a star discovery mount with large 2” eyepieces and diagonal etc had no issues.even tho manufactures suggest a specific weight capacity you can get away generally in adding a few etc pounds or two as long you don,t go overboard and is in reasonable balance.

• kiko27 likes this

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:54 PM

Tolerance of shakiness of a telescope/mount combination is a bit of a personal matter.  It is not only a matter of aperture, but the physical length and width of the OTA can all influence this.  A long tube, even if very light, creates a lot of shake due to the leverage (or “moment arm”) and the effects of wind.  

I have the AZ/GTI and have experimented with this.  On the stock tripod, I would not use anything larger than a 3” refractor or a 5” Mak.  I have never tried a Newtonian, but I would avoid them.

If mounted on a heavy wooden tripod, I can move up to a 4” refractor with good results for me.  I tried my C8 on this, and it was way too shaky.

• kiko27 likes this

#5 kiko27

kiko27

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SW CT

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

I use my AZ-GTi mount on a Bogen 475 tripod rated for 26 lbs, so I cannot speak for the stock tripod setup.  I often use a SV 102 Access refractor and 6" SCT on my GTi.  Both of these work very well even with my 2" eyepieces.  I've ran my Vixen VMC200L (14 or 15lbs) on the GTi but that was a little heavy and I could tell the gears were having to put in more work.  It also carries my 6" F/5 newt, but the newt is much more wobbly and shakey than my Access or C6 (due to the length and eyepiece location more so then the weight).  

The AZ-GTi is a fun mount.  I highly recommend it.  Love being able to control it with my iphone.

That's a great idea. I thought the mechanics might be overwhelmed by a larger scope, but the tripod is easy to replace. I also wonder if it is possible to add a counterweight if the OTA is light but overly long for the mount. Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Edited by kiko27, 18 May 2021 - 09:34 AM.

#6 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:04 AM

That's a great idea. I thought the mechanics might be overwhelmed by a larger scope, but the tripod is easy to replace. I also wonder if it is possible to add a counterweight if the OTA is light but overly long for the mount. Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I purchased just the mount head from First Light Optics in the UK back when the AZ-GTi first came out.  There wasn't a vendor in the US at the time that sold just the mount head without the tripod.  Took only 6 days to arrive and was about $90 cheaper than in the US with the tripod.  The heavy duty photo tripod is great... very easy to set up and adjust.  Plus it has a geared column so I can adjust EP height during use.  I am also quite tall and this tripod can allow me to use a refractor while standing to view even at zenith.  I also use this tripod with a StellarVue M2 mount when I want to go manual and that is a great combo.  

There is a place to thread in a shaft and counterweight on the opposite side of the dovetail saddle.  You can see it in the pic below.  It is necessary if you convert the mount to EQ mode, which I've never tried, but it is also helpful in alt-az mode to balance heavier OTA's.  My 4" F/7 refractor does ride a slight bit better with the counterweight but the difference isn't very noticeable and it is not necessary.  However, my C6 with rings and handle and 2" accessories is nearing the mount capacity limit and I definitely prefer to run it with the counterweight.  You can tell the gears are more balanced and have less stress. 

C6 on AZGTi and Bogen 475.jpg

• kiko27 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics