•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 600d + Intervalometer issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gerryberry

gerryberry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Hi all, seen this on another forum but didnt solve

So last night, new modded Canon 600d camera and used the same intervalometer as my other camera

Did a 1 minute Delay

2 Minute exposures

5 seconds between each exposure

30 images pressed go and left

When I came back the Exposure setting was stuck on basically the hour!! Nightmare :)

Playing around with it today it seems the interval has to be at least 2 seconds longer then the Delay - and I also need to set the exposure to 1 second above what I want - other forums were saying Interval needs to be longer then Exposures which it just cant be

So for example it works with 

2 Second delay

2 minute 1 second exposure

4 second between each exposure

30 images

End result is 30 X 2 min exposures

This seems very strange and mirror lock up is disabled as well as long exposure noise reduction disabled

Im only asking as I dont need to do it with my newer Canon camera - is there another setting I've missed?

#2 PhilHoyle

PhilHoyle

Ranger 4

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:03 AM

You don't need the delay.

Make sure the time between images is long enough for your camera to save the image.  If it displays on the back screen for even a fraction of a second it is long enough.

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

You don't need the delay.

Make sure the time between images is long enough for your camera to save the image.  If it displays on the back screen for even a fraction of a second it is long enough.

Probably camera-dependent, but you may not need to delay long enough for the full save operation, as the camera can probably write to SD in parallel with imaging.  With my Nikon D3200, I only had a 1 second delay between shots, mostly just to let the mirror cleanly do its thing (the camera doesn't have a mirror lock function).  When the sequence was done, you could see the image counter on the camera back finish writing the last couple of images to the SD card.  Those subs were typically about 20-30 seconds each.  But when taking sub-second flats, I easily got ahead of the writing, and would have to pause for several seconds after about a dozen subs, to let things drain.

#4 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 25 May 2021 - 03:47 PM

There is a sometimes a difference between how the intervalometer works depending on if the camera is set to bulb or manual.

If the interval is set to say 25 seconds then the exposure needs to be shorter than this as the shutter will fire every 25 seconds.

The self timer delays the start of the shooting sequence only.

If you are doing long exposures over 30 seconds you need to set the intervalometer to long exposure mode, setting the camera to bulb is not enough.

There are usually quite a few modes for example for example "interval + long exposure" or "self timer+interval+long exposure"

So in your example the intervalometer will be set to long exposure and the camera to single shot + bulb then the settings are:

self timer   60 seconds

exposure     2 minutes

interval        2 minutes 5 seconds

count         30

It's a while since I used my intervalometers so hope the above is correct but should hopefully get you on the right track.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics