•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pontchartrain Astronomy Society - 1st Public Outreach in over a Year!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:48 AM

Saturday May 15th, 2021, which was Spring International Astronomy Day (and Night) was our first public outreach event in over a year.  We have a good relationship with Bogue Chitto State Park located in Washington Parish about 5 miles south of Franklinton, LA.  This is near our club site and in dark areas of the park away from lights we have magnitude 6.2 to 6.3 (Bortle 4 skies).  May 15th was designated as International Astronomy Day as it also gives us a crescent moon as a target to supplement our other targets.

12 members from our club participated and we had approximately 100 visitors.  The park was helpful in that approximately 700 fliers were distributed to park overnight visitors plus day visitors.  Thanks Denise!

Targets in addition to the Moon included Mars, galaxies including those in and around Ursa Major, several open clusters, Mars and for a brief period Omega Centaurus.  Good to be doing outreach again.  First time in over a year due to COVID.  We typically do two outreach events per year at Bogue Chitto State Park.  Looks like we will be picking up a few new members because of this event!

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeR (48).jpg
  • FullSizeR (50).jpg
  • FullSizeR (51).jpg

• Dynan and sanbai like this

#2 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:07 PM

I’ll bet the bugs loved it from the looks of that crowd.

#3 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:58 PM

What?  The short sleeves and short pants or the excess area/poundage on some of the attendees?  Watch it now Sumo Wrestling classes are popular down here!

Barry Simon

#4 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:05 PM

Res Ipsa loquitur. 

#5 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

It's easy to find a dark and clear spot at Bogue Chitto? At Chicot Park it isn't that easy due to some street lights around, although I could find a corner with a good portion of the sky, next to the restrooms at the parking lot near the dock. I did not want to go very far from the entrance/camping area.

Bogue Chitto may be a good compromise. It's 45 minutes drive more than the BRAS observing site, but 30 min shorter than Chicot.

I’ll bet the bugs loved it from the looks of that crowd.

They will have a great party till end of November. For me, it's like going to war. I need to be fully covered (they go through socks), in addition to a repellent spray, and this device with a blue tablet and gas burner. Better sweeting than being bitten.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics