•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little day time fun with Binoculars / Birds

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:59 AM

I picked up a few bird Identification books, and have had some fun trying to identify all the birds I see in the backyard. I started placing a bookmark on the page of every bird species I believe I have spotted. I have already identified several.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Here is a photo taken through the 20x60 Selsi Binoculars by just hand holding a digital camera at the eyepiece. It was neat to watch all the Robins pull worms out of the yard. It amazes me how fast they can find them.

3.JPG

This next photo was not taken through the binoculars, but just with a camera. These are the prettiest birds I have spotted in the yard, they almost look parakeet like. The pair landed on my laundry line, and I was able to watch them for about a minute. At first I thought they were some type of Oriole, but now I think they may be a American Goldfinch.

4.JPG

Does anyone know there ID for sure?

• paulsky, Doug D., Jeff Bennett and 9 others like this

#2 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:03 PM

looks like a goldfinch to me - female, breeding plumage

• gene 4181 and Mbinoc like this

#3 MarMax

MarMax

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:17 PM

Yep, a Goldfinch for sure. We have a feeder and have them year around.

When the Robins show up here it's usually a large group of 10-20 or more depending on the day.

Edited to add a couple pictures (took me a while to find them). I believe here in SoCal we have the Lesser Goldfinch and they say West of the Rockies the male does not have the black back, which is the case for all the birds here. The main difference between the males and females here is the brighter yellow (male) vs the duller yellow to almost an olive color (female).

gallery_332504_14251_106325.jpg

gallery_332504_14251_120404.jpg

Edited by MarMax, 17 May 2021 - 01:02 PM.

• Katharine, Terra Nova, Mbinoc and 2 others like this

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

Love the bino mount.

I notice the several books.  The drawings are never the same, and birds vary among themselves.  Different drawings can help a lot.  I like the Nat Geo and the Sibleys East or West (as appropriate).  They come up used on Amazon and the like quite often.  eBird and Merlin are great apps.

• Mbinoc likes this

#5 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:23 PM

Probably a female -- doesn't seem to be sporting that jaunty black cap. wink.gif

#6 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:28 PM

Thanks ButterFly, I made the mount head last year to fit dovetail style to the telescope tripod.

Fiske, "doesn't seem to be sporting that jaunty black cap". That's what confused me. Neither bird had a black cap.

Edited by Mbinoc, 17 May 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#7 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

Okay, those are a different species of finch (marmax image) from the gold finches here in Kansas. I have lots of pictures and will post a few later. 

Fiske

• Mbinoc likes this

#8 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:15 PM

I just put this rig together to get the birdies from my recliner.,These are 8x42 .,I'm about 5ft from the feeder,.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210516_150938_1.jpg
  • 20210517_040218.jpg

• paulsky, Katharine, Terra Nova and 9 others like this

#9 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

Nice! I was birdwatching with binos yesterday. I even watched hawks and eagles with the Zeiss 20x60 I which performed extravagantly. Perfect for that range and magnification on the wing. The hummingbirds are back to our feeders and I'm still awaiting the bats. I checked my domes a couple of days ago and I don't see them yet --- but they will arrive soon. I hope "Flapper" comes back --- he's been roosting here for several years.   Tom

#10 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:51 PM

Yeah I don’t keep track, but big-time birders have a yardlist as well as their comprehensive list of birds seen. You can have lots of lists. My friend stretched his yardlist to anything he could identify from his yard, whether it be a block away down the street or a 1000 feet in the air. Lots of birders have the optics to ID birds from miles away! Once, I was on a 1000foot hill & tracked a Bald Eagle from one bottomland town to the next bottomland town seven miles away, where he turned 90 degrees & flew over a 600foot ridge to a 3rd town(7 miles away?) where he started circling over another bottomland.

Edited by litesong, 17 May 2021 - 06:38 PM.

#11 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:49 PM

The hummingbirds are back to our feeders and I'm still awaiting the bats.

Ah....you have 2 wives? Ya shouldn’t talk about your mothers-in-law that way.....

#12 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:03 AM

I have a humming bird feeder. but never once hung it up.

"Clearwaterdave's",  post got me interested.

Can I hang the feeder, off my second story deck from a arborvitae tree, about 12 feet off the ground?

The reason I ask, is I just read that 1/4 sugar to water mixture is ideal. And should be cleaned every 48 hours. If I could hang it off the deck, It would be easier to keep up with the maintenance schedule.

Or is that too high?

I just dug this one out of the garage, it was given to me years ago and I never used it.

IMG_2037.JPG

Edited by Mbinoc, 18 May 2021 - 12:12 AM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#13 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:36 AM

Mbinoc wrote:

Can I hang the feeder, off my second story deck from a arborvitae tree, about 12 feet off the ground?

It would be easier to keep up with the maintenance schedule.

is that too high?

////////

litesong wrote:

No. One of our feeders is on our second story & its their favorite. Hummers zip up & down in 100 foot chunks. They got lots of energy. That’s why they will work to protect hummingbird feeders, even when there are so many feeders that there is no reason to defend them.

Edited by litesong, 18 May 2021 - 11:10 AM.

#14 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:46 AM

"litesong". I think you said "yes", it would be ok?

I plan to hang my first one up before next weekend.

I also got to get just a standard bird feeder somewhere in the yard. I have never hung one of those up either. I should be able to visit farm and fleet sometime in the next week, and will pick up a big bag of bulk seed.

Edited by Mbinoc, 18 May 2021 - 12:52 AM.

#15 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:46 AM

Maybe this is common knowledge, but just in case it isn't and it helps, Phoneskope makes an adapter for just about any optics/phone combo.  If your optic is not listed there, they have universals too. 

https://www.phoneskope.com/

I use their adapter for my spotter, and have used it with binos too.  Highly recommend it. 

#16 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:24 AM

"litesong". I think you said "yes", it would be ok?

I plan to hang my first one up before next weekend.

I also got to get just a standard bird feeder somewhere in the yard. I have never hung one of those up either. I should be able to visit farm and fleet sometime in the next week, and will pick up a big bag of bulk seed.

Yes, I addressed your question, if it was too high. My wife has fed hummers for some years & puts them in her paintings, along with squirrels & other birds. Place seeds on the lawn & not in a pile. It reinforces their pecking response. My wife meticulously cleans feeders so hummer nectar is always pristine. Pay attention to local bird websites that will warn of bird infections that may be making the rounds, so you can withdrawn feeders that concentrate birds into one small area.

#17 MarMax

MarMax

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:58 PM

When you have hummingbird feeders you will also get Orioles. I don't have a feeder but a good friend always does and it's fun to see the hummers and Orioles at the same time.

#18 Gastrol

Gastrol

Surveyor 1

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

I mix 4 to 1, water/sugar, boiled.   Lately going through half a gallon every 3 days ....   I have 3 feeders hanging off of the second floor balcony.

Attached Thumbnails

• D076E179-A236-46E6-A912-831844B7172C.jpeg

• Fiske, dries1 and Mbinoc like this

#19 Gastrol

Gastrol

Surveyor 1

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

And if I need a bit more power I use my spotting scope...

Attached Thumbnails

• 358FC1DD-752B-4E6E-AE52-0CC364900867.jpeg

• Fiske and Mbinoc like this

#20 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:43 PM

When you have hummingbird feeders you will also get Orioles. 

Oh....I like that! However, the only oriole I recently saw was a Bullocks, which was 8 miles from our feeders. 

• Mbinoc likes this

#21 Echolight

Echolight

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:21 PM

After reading this a few days ago, and admiring your Selsi 20x60 and the wooden Vixen dovetail, I couldn't help myself but to buy a Sans & Streiffe Longranger Extra Wide 20x60 with 3.9 degree fov.

I had bought a Focus 20x60 a while back, but didn't love it and it has a couple spots on the inside of the objectives. It's become a wide field lower power project.

At work today, I was trying to use my pawn shop Skymaster 20x80, looking across a field about 2-300 yards to the edge of a creek or small river. I use my steering wheel for a rest. Lots of birds near and far. Saw some kind of small hawk with a long striped tail at the top of a small tree on the far edge. But the 20x80's are not very good and I can't get the collimation quite right. Lots of details are lost.

So I figured I'd gamble the eighteen bucks on the Longrangers. Daytime bird watching seems a perfect use for them. Hoping the eye relief is an eyelash longer than the Focal.

Edited by Echolight, 18 May 2021 - 09:32 PM.

• Mbinoc likes this

#22 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:37 PM

We put out our hummingbird feeders the first week in May to attract the Bullock's orioles that come first each season as the trees begin leafing out.  The hummingbirds follow shortly after.  We tried orange colored oriole-specific feeders but they shunned them in favor of the hummer feeders.  Whatever works for them, I suppose.

We are having a noisy Bullock's oriole competition this year; we have several pairs mating and vying for prime real estate at the tops of the cottonwood trees.  Lots of the usual western kingbird activity as well.

Binoculars are a wonderful observational tool day and night. They get used daily around here. 

Rich

• Fiske, litesong, Pinac and 3 others like this

#23 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:03 PM

I got a few more.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210523_184205.jpg
  • 20210519_165538.jpg

• Fiske, Rich V., Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#24 nowhere

nowhere

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vancouver

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:14 PM

I spend a lot of time watching birds. A few months ago I bought 8.5X Papillios so we could focus on the hummingbirds in the backyard. From the kitchen they were too close to focus with regular binoculars. I also got a Nikon 7X15 monocular to keep in my pocket during walks and it's been used quite a bit. I used to keep my old Pentax DCF 8X36's handy at my desk by the big window overlooking the front yard for birdwatching (and other wildlife) but after I got the Nikon Prostars for astronomy I discovered that I liked the view through them so much they've become my go too for this - despite the extra hassle with the individual focusing. Sometime next month I'm going to get some binoculars of similar quality just for daytime use. Thinking of getting one of the Nikon EII's when I order the Nikon 18X70s from Japan.

This year we had wrens make a nest and raise four chicks in our backyard and we also have a mated pair of crows and a solitary crow that have become part of the family. Black cap sparrows, towhees, robins, flickers and swallows are around quite a bit. Being in BC we also see lots of bald eagles and a few varieties of hawks. On a walk in a park by a river with my wife recently we also saw our first red wing blackbirds of the year.

#25 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:27 AM

Hi All,

I must admit that during these COVID times and cloudy weather, i became more aware of what was happening in my garden during daytime and dusk. At the beginning, I was biased with the birding hobby, thinking that it was only for some senior people, but, i was in a huge mistake! birding is amazing and a new world has been opened to me -and to my optics BTW- :-)

I bought in a used books shop a guide of german and scandinavian birds and i started pointing my binos to the birds around, suddenly i was starting doing ID´s, but most importantly, to learn about bird behavior and appreciating nature more than before. Now, birding is a family hobby and a good topic for conversation. Blackbirds, Great ****, blue ****, coal ****, ravens, seagulls, doves, and Magpies land regularly in my garden and in short trips i bring my pocket Zeiss binos and the guide to find more species.   

I am installing now some bird feeders to enjoy them more. It was a good decision.

Thanks for reading,

Carlos

• Terra Nova, gene 4181 and clearwaterdave like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics