•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech Voyager 2 Az Lock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:05 PM

I recently purchased, and received, my new Voyager 2 mount.  During assembly all went well until I got to the Az lock bolt, it wouldn't thread in straight and the bit I did get it to go it just wasn't right.    Appears to me the threads are damaged on the mount side, not the bolt.  

I have an email off to Astronomics to see what I can do about it, and don't intend to mess with it further until I hear back, but was wondering if anyone would happen to know the size and thread pitch of the bolt?  If I have to I will find a tap set that is close to the original and attempt to cut new threads and find a new bolt, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

#2 72Nova

72Nova

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

I just ordered and received a Voyager 2 and have the same issue....but on the altitude side.

#3 smiles233

smiles233

Explorer 1

• Loc: upstate ny

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:00 AM

I had the same issue on the az lock bolt, hard to screw in.  So i used a tap from a small tap set i had lying around and never used, it worked great.  match up the thickness of the bolt and start re-threading with some oil as you go.  you can pick up cheap ones at harbor freight i believe.  i also has trouble with the lock nut and shaft it connected to on the AZ.  when i tightened the bolt and cleaned out that bad thick grease , it started getting loose and the inside bolt by the gear came out and i had to use plumbers tape on the shaft thread to keep it in there. i am hoping it stays and am now using the mount.  it is a very stable mount, i am using it on soft grass so that helps too.

#4 JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:39 AM

I have the same issue with the Az lock, and also an issue with the Alt joint becoming loose and creating a large amount of play. Even with disassemble and tightening of the bolt the holds the Alt joint together, after a little bit of use a large amount of play came back to the point where my ar102 felt unstable. Called astronomics and Ken was super helpful

and sent out a replacement part, only problem was it was only for the Alt issue not the Az bolt issue.

The point of this is that the replacement Alt lock now has the same issue as the Az lock where both bolts do not fit meaning I cannot lock out either axis! There seems to have been some major issues with manufacturing unfortunately...

#5 smiles233

smiles233

Explorer 1

• Loc: upstate ny

Posted 26 May 2021 - 09:14 AM

Try re-threading the screw holes with a tap and die set? Here's a cheap one below from Harbor Freight. I'm not sure if It has the correct size but it's only $10.

https://www.harborfr...1-pc-61398.html

Edited by smiles233, 26 May 2021 - 09:16 AM.

#6 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:38 PM

I got my mount a couple weeks ago.  The whole thing was practically unusable until I pulled both axis apart and removed all that nasty, greasy, sticky stuff from the inside.  The grease had gotten all in the AZ lock bolt hole and coated the threads.  Once that was removed and replaced with some Lithium, it works well.

• 72Nova likes this

#7 72Nova

72Nova

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:20 PM

Update- astronomics responded to my email that they will send out a replacement puck. What is odd is that I no longer see the voyager 2 mount on their website

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics