•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Preferred Program for recording/tracking notes?

Beginner Observing Report Software
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mizzmi27

Mizzmi27

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lee's Summit, MO

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

Summarized request (read below if you want more background detail): Please share your favorite program/app for writing (typing) and tracking notes (physically on paper is probably not for me) and specifically your experience/thoughts with Google Docs would be appreciated.

I have posted a few other topics as I have been working on nailing down my preferred note-taking/reporting process. I think I have quickly determined that audio-recording my observations/thoughts as I'm observing is much preferred over writing stuff down - I don't have to take my attention away from observing and I was even able to record my thoughts on my drive home this weekend from the local observatory public-night.

So I am using Google Recorder on my phone to record. I didn't really do any research there; it was already on my phone and it transcribes the audio into text (while maintaining the audio recording). It seems like a really good app but I'm also open to suggestions of other recording apps/programs...

I now have 4 nights of recordings and need to start organizing some of this on "paper" but think there are a lot of options in terms of the available apps and programs and would like to start with a good one that I could use for a long time (as opposed to jotting things down in the first program that comes to mind, not liking it, transferring to a different program, repeat). The very first thing that came to mind was just tracking in Excel and creating a table based on constellation or something to track favorite targets, best observation times/conditions, random notes, etc but figured there's no way that's a good option and would get out of hand very quickly.

After some brief research I'm just leaning toward Google Docs as I think I will have a lot of options/freedom to format my notes. Any thoughts on Google Docs or other favorite programs would be appreciated. The one worry I always have with any Google product is that they are always changing, renaming, or just straight up abandoning their programs/apps.

Thanks,

#2 P_Myers

P_Myers

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:23 PM

https://knightware.biz/dsp/

#3 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

Moving to Astro Computers & Software.

smp

#4 blakesphere

blakesphere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:28 AM

I too use audio recording.

I have a Sony device, amber screen, AAA batteries. It's awesome.

#5 blakesphere

blakesphere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:29 AM

The other part to this is logging... or blogging. I put all my transcribed log notes onto blogger.

Even though that goes out into the wild, it is primarily for me. It helps me keep organised. Everything's date-stamped. I can easily search past events.

• hcf likes this

#6 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:07 AM

The other part to this is logging... or blogging. I put all my transcribed log notes onto blogger.

Even though that goes out into the wild, it is primarily for me. It helps me keep organised. Everything's date-stamped. I can easily search past events.

I too have a astro blog of my logs but on my local LAN, not "out in the wild". Very convenient, It can be updated from a phone or tablet or computer using a browser. Can add pictures or even the audio recording if I  am feeling lazy and transcibe them later. Very easy to search.

Runs on a raspberry pi on my home network and is up 24/7.

I use the free software twiki to blog.

Recently I found that I can dump say a years worth of blog from a twiki into a pdf and print it, if I want to keep a hard copy.

#7 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:27 PM

AstroPlanner

#8 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:01 PM

I have a Rocketbook.

I can write with a pen, use the phone app to scan what I've written and it uses OCR to transcribe it and emails me a copy (as well as store the image on my Google Drive), and finally I wipe the pages clean with a cloth and can re-use them.

It's pretty cool, though the OCR doesn't handle the little sketches that I sometimes like to do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Observing Report, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics