•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best way to store 14” truss scope for summer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:23 PM

I don’t have my 14” RC original packaging. And I won’t be able to store it on the mount. My questions:

- best orientation: horizontal, vertical up or down

- store with focuser on or off

If you made your own case please describe or send a photo.

Thanks

Mike

#2 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

Anybody ever use a patio deck box to store telescope and other equipment. Oh I should have said that the telescope will be stored in a shed, I just need to ensure SW dust and country pests , pack rats, mice, etc..., are kept out.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:16 PM

Most of us just toss it in the closet with a garment bag over it. Just be sure to remove the dress first. Uhhh... gota go now, my wife is summoning me.   Tom

• eblanken likes this

#4 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

🤣

Unfortunately when a a shed is left alone for months at a time out in the country, all kinds of pests manage to invade including: Bats, birds, bees/wasps, mice, rats, snakes, skunk ( we hadn’t put the pier in yet, skunk burrowed under slab).

#5 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Ranger 4

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:47 PM

Most of us just toss it in the closet with a garment bag over it. Just be sure to remove the dress first. Uhhh... gota go now, my wife is summoning me.   Tom

"OMG! Are you telling me your husband is wearing your dresses? You poor dear."

"No, he's not wearing them ... he just keeps his telescopes in the garment bags with the dresses."

"Oh my. Uhmmm, well ... does he keep anything in your shoe boxes?"

"Yes.  His eyepieces."  

"And your underwear drawer?"

"Filters."

"You poor thing."  

• eblanken likes this

#6 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

Cosmos has got it right. I've always stored my scopes in a closet with a plastic baggie over them to keep out dust or whatever.  Orientation?  Whichever way it fits best into the storage spot.

While we sell large heavy duty plastic scope baggies for covering scopes in observatories a cloth or very thin garment bag will suffice for indoor storage.

• Sarkikos likes this

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

The orientation is not as important as environmental conditions. You want somewhere that's neither too hot nor humid, and is reasonably bug-proof (which is where the real damage will come from...and the critters are just encouraged by hot and humid places). wink.gif

Edited by rmollise, 19 May 2021 - 04:19 PM.

• eblanken likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics