•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pegasus UPBv2 environmental sensor causing lost commands

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jeffcrilly2

jeffcrilly2

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

Has anyone seen a problem with the Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox V2 where the "Environmental Sensor" causes commands from the app to the UPBv2 to get garbled?

This manifested itself in the focus motor "failing to work".
Also, the App "focus" tab would show odd values for the "focuser position", cycling through values like:

0 -> PR -> 0 -> XS -> PR -> UPB2

I initially suspected my issue with the focus motor suddenly "failing" might be a USB cable issue..

I swapped cables and also went direct from the computer to the UPBv2 "direct" with a known working cable.

Still had problems with the shorter USB3 run.

I also noticed an unusually large count for "Failed" commands in the "config" tab... and "debug" log showed responses that didn't seem to match the issued command.

It was almost as if the UPBV2 was "falling behind" with commands.   And it turns out some of the "codes" in the "position box" are actually response codes from other commands.

I suspected some interference with another device on the USB hub, etc., so I unplugged everything except the Host USB and the Motor.

And the motor started working.

I have one dew strap, one 12v camera output, and one USB3 camera attached (The camera is a QHY268m requiring USB3 and 12v).
Also attached is the "Environmental Sensor" on the EXT port.

So I plugged everything IN again, and repeated the failure.   Then unplugged JUST the Environmental Sensor.

And with the Environmental Sensor removed, the Focus Motor works.

I don't have another sensor to test with... I looked into opening up this sensor, but would probably have to damage the case in the process.
(Also, I'm not finding the Sensor in stock at various vendors.)

Fwiw... the Sensor seemed to be working as Temp and Humidity was being reported.

Anyone run into similar problems with the Environmental Sensor failing?    I'm contemplating getting a backup sensor, but I don't even know for sure this one is bad (tho they are out of stock everywhere.)

(Fwiw, this issue occurred while I was on a dark sky trip 10 days ago, but back then I attributed the problem to a bad focus motor... it turns out the motor was probably fine, but the sensor was somehow causing the App and UBPv2 to "lose" commands for motor position resulting in a confused App.  I just went through the debugging process with a different focus motor (after the trip), and that one oddly was failing also.)

thx

-jeff

#2 stickygerbil

stickygerbil

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:22 PM

I've never had an issue with mine and I'm maxed out on all ports and dew heaters. I would ensure you have high quality USB cables with twisted pairs inside. Ensure you are running latest version and drivers. Do a clean install incase some files got corrupted. Additionally reach out to pegasus astro thay are very helpful, responsive, and stand behind there products.
  • psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics