•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ5 or HEQ5 with a small telescope?

Astrophotography Beginner Mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:36 AM

This and the next summer I'll be living in a dark Bortle 2-3 place. I'm tight on money and I want to spend as little as possible, but still get high quality stuff.

Things I surely will buy (in the near future): Samyang 135mm and a small refractor (360-500mm focal lenght).

I will not upgrade to a Mak or a big newtonian. I'm not interested in imaging planets or galaxies.

I have a 14mm and 24-70mm lens and was planning to use it with the Star Adventurer this summer, but it is out of stock and really pricey. Also... most of the time I'll image from my backyard (don't really need the portability of SA). So should I just get the EQ5 pairing it up with a small camera with lens and next summer with a small telescope?

I also plan on autoguiding.

I see so many people say that you should get a HEQ5 or better, but I don't think I really need it. EQ5 seems enough, or am I wrong?

#2 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:07 AM

Forgot to mention that I have a 6'' Newtonian that is 3.4kg (very light) but I have to modify it to achieve prime focus. I don't really think that I'll use it for AP, because it's very big and mostly I like it for visual.

#3 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:29 AM

Hi Boven!

My first response/question is...is the EQ-5 version, you are looking at, a goto as in the Celestron ASGT or is this simply a version with the RA and Dec motors and no goto function? The HEQ5 is a goto mount. I have all three of these mounts and the HEQ5 is the more substantial of the three. The Celestron ASGT is an older mount and Celestron has made some upgrades in the last 5 to 8 years. Both the ASGT and HEQ5 have there quirks and issues, your choice should be geared to your needs and in particular how you want to control it. You indicate that you want to auto-guide so you will require some version of a goto or computerized mount. The base model CG-5 is not computerized.

Second question would be...are you planning on purchasing a new or used mount and what would be your maximum budget. Try to look ahead and try to imagine where you might be in the hobby and what goals you might have. That may help to guide your decisions.

Cheers, Chris.

#4 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:17 AM

Hi Boven!

My first response/question is...is the EQ-5 version, you are looking at, a goto as in the Celestron ASGT or is this simply a version with the RA and Dec motors and no goto function? The HEQ5 is a goto mount. I have all three of these mounts and the HEQ5 is the more substantial of the three. The Celestron ASGT is an older mount and Celestron has made some upgrades in the last 5 to 8 years. Both the ASGT and HEQ5 have there quirks and issues, your choice should be geared to your needs and in particular how you want to control it. You indicate that you want to auto-guide so you will require some version of a goto or computerized mount. The base model CG-5 is not computerized.

Second question would be...are you planning on purchasing a new or used mount and what would be your maximum budget. Try to look ahead and try to imagine where you might be in the hobby and what goals you might have. That may help to guide your decisions.

Cheers, Chris.

I'm looking at a new EQ5 GOTO SyncScan (sorry it's in italian):

https://otticatelesc...her-italia.html

About the second part, you're right. I need to think more about the mount and what targets precisely I want to image (i'll have to write them down). I don't really have a maximum budget but I don't want to buy a HEQ5 if it's a overkill for my system. 

The main goals I have are to capture faint nebulae, preferably not Ha (my dslr isn't modded) and get most out of the dark skies. So no filters, no narrowband: just natural wide-angle (14mm / 70mm) and widefield (small telescope focal lenght) images.

Some examples might be the Pleiades, the R Cra Nebula, Rho Ophiuchi.

#5 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:19 AM

Hi Boven!

I was't aware that Skywatcher was marketing this mount again with the goto capability. It may not be as robust a the HEQ5 but I believe it will do quite nicely. It is very much similar to to my Celestron ASGT mount but with some newer electronics and it is Skywatcher white!! grin.gif

I have been in northern Italy on a few occasions...Lago Maggiore region...such a beautiful place. Enjoy your trip to dark skies!!

Cheers, Chris.

Edited by c2m2t, 18 May 2021 - 12:08 PM.

• Boven likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics