•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter this morning...EDIT: :Boutique R-animation + collimation examples

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:39 AM

EDIT: just editing this first post & thread title to let people know that I've put a so-so red filter animation (super-smalled to fit under 500Kb) as well as some examples of how we see the collimation progression as stages of adjustment before we actually go to a planet & begin the routine for capturing - thought it might be helpful for some to see this - especially if they haven't moved with the times & use Metaguide or somesuch..! shakecane.gif lol.gif

Images etc in my latest post at the bottom of this thread... wink.gif

Hi all - we're sitting in the van at Sedan at the old park/sports-ground packed up & ready to roll out tomorrow morning, heading for Yorke Peninsula & hopeful some calamari catches over the next few days/nights: might be another imaging chance at the end of the week which we'll take if it pans out ok.

As always a bit too rushed, got the new filter wheel yesterday morning & entered the C20th.....the C21st is just a bit too much for us atm! gramps.gif lol.gif

Luckily it took no time at all to load the necessities onto the new laptop to allow FireCapture to enable the automated filter function...working straight away, which was a relief - I mentioned in someone else's thread here the other day that with my old H-P lappy running on Win8 that the Nautilus EFW was flaky at the best of times with the ancient drivers...& although after a lot of reading I found out some folks used another Orion driver to get things working on Win10, when I installed it the flakiness became even more flaky on the new Acer...crazy.gif

Anyway, armed with a new EFW & Acer laptop (8Gb RAM, i7, 1Tb SSD blah-blah) we got here late yesterday afternoon. (less than 100 miles btw)

Got up around 5am but lost an enormous amount of time familiarizing ourselves with various aspect of imaging again lol.gif - it's always more complicated actually imaging than running tests etc & using FC 2.7beta probably added a bit more complexity.

On that score I probably should apologize for confusing Andrew (Tulloch) a few months ago...Torsten has reverted to the earlier (more "normal" imho) application of gamma where lowering the value increases the contrast...after years where he'd sent FC the other direction I found little things like that a bit confronting...along with the preview screen rate where despite setting it to "Max" in the "Layout" we found we had to keep on hitting the "Max" tab on the top left to get a preview to focus on...but it'll all come good soon enough I'm sure.

Mentioning Andrew, he suggested the other day that he felt he needed plenty of RAM for processing although he did qualify his comments by acknowledging that an SSD might make that redundant...

Happy to report that for whatever reason, a "measly"  8GB of RAM in my new laptop is no impediment to ripping through all the processing very fast in AS!3! wink.gif

Anyway, we started out with quite reasonable seeing for collimating but unlike Quopaz who lives not terribly far from here who reported good seeing right through to Sunrise in his current thread...our seeing deteriorated quite rapidly. Unusual because I'm sure that 95% of the time the seeing at Sedan would be superior to Mt. Pleasant, but that's life!

Never even got a chance to image Saturn with all the faffing around...I'd initialized the r-g-b filters, but wanting to try some iR I went through the whole process again: lots of little things like the screen preview rate situation that we'll iron out soon enough I'm sure...I know from conversations with Torsten that I'm probably overlooking something that will be "set & forget" once my brain starts functioning somewhat...

After the first couple of r-g-b captures the seeing nose-dived, possibly the Sun rising by then on the flat Eastern horizon having some influence.

Here's an rgb & the individual filter channels - still trying to get some seeing that'll yield the type of outcomes we'd like to get but that old saying about "if wished were fishes..." is always there to keep your feet on the ground...still a full 3 months until opposition - so there's plenty of time to start getting really decent images..! fingerscrossed.gif

j2021-05-17_20-52_rgb_dpm.png

j2021-05-17_20-52_r&g&b_dpm.png

Edited by Kokatha man, 19 May 2021 - 03:39 AM.

• TorstenEdelmann, Sunspot, Magellanico and 50 others like this

#2 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:43 AM

Oh my god. I though these kind of images could only be done with Hubble and large 5-10m telescopes. It looks awesome!

Noob question: I know the clouds in the atmosphere move a lot, but where is the Red Spot?

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:31 AM

Great to see you (both) back and imaging Darryl in good seeing, a real return to form smile.gif.

Also glad the new laptop is working out for you, I think the setting you are looking for in the preview refresh rate is down in the "Misc/Performance" area here (note I set mine to 60 fps during capture).

Hope the seeing continues,

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• FC Preview rate.JPG

• h2ologg likes this

#4 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:33 AM

Oh my god. I though these kind of images could only be done with Hubble and large 5-10m telescopes. It looks awesome!

Noob question: I know the clouds in the atmosphere move a lot, but where is the Red Spot?

Jupiter rotates very fast, 10 hours to Earth's 24 hours. The GRS is visible only half of the time. Make sense? 

#5 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:34 AM

Those are amazing images!

#6 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:36 AM

You have to remember that Jupiter, like the Earth, is flat. Like a coin, there are two sides, the "heads" with the red spot (or the "great eye") and tails, as shown in the fantastic shot above. Which you see depends on the flip of the coin. Sometimes the flip occurs during the same night, with some able to see the spot and others looking after the flip who don't. It's a "heads I win, tails you lose" type of thing. Also called "the luck of the draw", which dates from the time before astrophotography when astronomers had to draw what they see. Hope this helps ....

Edited by George Bailey, 18 May 2021 - 06:43 AM.

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the comments & "Likes" people - Boven, take a look at our website to see many images of the type we aspire to every time we go out to image...but of course you can only get what the seeing provides & in the end it is a numbers game - the more you image, the greater the chances of success! wink.gif

Nope Andrew, I mentioned that we'd set that in the box you displayed but it just kept bouncing back to 10fps, luckily bleedingly obvious once we noticed that little tab above the feed window. Perhaps it doesn't like "Max" for some reason... lol.gif

George - I'm not buying that story: <Also called "the luck of the draw", which dates from the time before astrophotography when astronomers had to draw what they see. Hope this helps ...."> Where's that leave card players & gamblers etc..?!? lol.gif

#8 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:59 AM

Sadly, the astronomers lost the expression to a card shark during an AAS convention in Vegas.

BTW, there are some who consider the Red Spot as being on the ""tails" side. Instead of "the Great Eye", it is called .... er ... never mind.

Getting back to the thread, it's a great shot of the flipping planet, Darryl !

Edited by George Bailey, 18 May 2021 - 07:39 AM.

• Kokatha man and RedLionNJ like this

#9 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:30 AM

Nope Andrew, I mentioned that we'd set that in the box you displayed but it just kept bouncing back to 10fps, luckily bleedingly obvious once we noticed that little tab above the feed window. Perhaps it doesn't like "Max" for some reason... lol.gif

Sorry, I thought you mentioned another area - btw, setting it to "Max" in that settings area worked for me (just tried it) ...

Edited by Tulloch, 18 May 2021 - 07:31 AM.

#10 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

Great tones on your Jupiter!  As many have said, a bad day for you looks pretty good to most of us. Good luck with getting the seeing you want.

• George Bailey likes this

#11 zhiwei.zhou

zhiwei.zhou

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:45 AM

waytogo.gif super!

#12 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:39 AM

Awesome images, thanks for sharing waytogo.gif

#13 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:20 PM

Love the anecdotal style of your longer posts, Darryl.  They quite make my day, on occasion (easier to do, as I get older!).

I'm glad to hear Torsten has reversed (made more in line with popular use) his interpretation of gamma in the newest FC version. There were another couple quirks of 2.6 which I need to compare to the latest 2.7 to see if they still exist. Guess that's my plan for this evening!

Particularly nice processing of the N edge of the NEB - there's probably some good atmospheric reason for the wave-like patterns there - the period may well be telling us something, but I have no idea what it might be :)

Thanks for keeping my interest piqued. I'll have my SCT rig back and up imaging before opposition (I hope!).

Grant

#14 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

Wonderful images Darryl. Enjoyed reading your associated story. I find the ‘back story’ often adds interest to the images posted.
Cheers Paul

#15 le geolois

le geolois

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France dpt 06

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

Good evening
Thank you for sharing this Jupiter. Very smooth processing with nice colors. The images in r. v. b are very beautiful and detailed.
Congratulations for this beautiful post
alain

#16 CowTipton

CowTipton

Mariner 2

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:55 PM

Beautiful detail!

#17 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

Very nice detail indeed! Glad you are getting some decent seeing and fingers crossed for much more!

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:58 PM

Thanks again to everyone who has posted or "Liked" our images...don't get me wrong, we're pleased with them otherwise we wouldn't bother posting them...but along with some of the nice aspects (such as Grant pointed out) there are plenty of deficiencies - but as I also said, it is in the next few weeks that Jovian (& Saturnian) imaging should really start to shine...we usually think 10-12 weeks before & after opposition are the best. waytogo.gif

My old "anecdotal" posts are my favourites also Grant as you would know...I kinda like the old-fashioned notion of something more than bare facts reporting* - I took some data for displaying a bit more re the collimating approach but we're about to head off to the fishing spots in an hour or so - I'll put that together tonight perhaps because I know that newcomers always like to get examples etc...preparing them might disappoint me but I thought for collimating the seeing was much better but with the faffing around & very late start I'm certain that the seeing must've dropped significantly for the captures, but it was nice earlier.

*Probably meaning I'll have to report our journey over to Spencer Gulf via Lochiel where their "resplendent" new "Loch Eel Monster" is on display on Lake Bumbunga & the coffee at the most excellent  JitterBean Cafe there along with their home-made pastries, including their famous pork & fennel sausage rolls...unless we go in a much further Northern arc to get to our destination via the equally renown Stone Hut Bakery..! rofl2.gif

'Till later..! smile.gif

• h2ologg, RedLionNJ and Lacaille like this

#19 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:58 PM

Very nice, you picked a good night to go to Sedan. Shows the seeing can be a bit variable, while it was good here in the hills I think it helped
that I was above the fog zone. If I was just even 1km away further downhill I would have been in fog and it would have been no good.
I don't know but maybe with Sedan being lower down you might have had a bit of moisture in the air to see through? Would have thought it
would be really good down there that night. Still a great Jupiter anyway, good luck with the fishing.

#20 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  5  for that awe some image. Is Jupiter still a lot higher for you than in the northern sky i don't want to say up here or down there since  FASA scientists discovered what we thought was the bottom of the slolar system is actually the top north is down south is up graduate.sml.gif

I like the dark spots in the northern eq band reminds me of the 2011 apparition, Jupiter had 2 dark spots and the swgrs was centered it looked like jupiter had a face lol

#21 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:12 PM

wonder whats going on with wee little oval ba???

#22 Ittaku

Ittaku

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:29 PM

Super image, always a pleasure to see your work Darryl.

#23 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:49 PM

Excellent image Darryl. Haven't logged in here for a while and always a pleasure to see your images. waytogo.gif Winds haven't been that favourable here in the West, but its early days yet..smile.gif

#24 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:45 AM

Thanks again for the comments fellas - as I've just said in the edited first post, I've put together a "boutique" red animation from yesterday morning's captures.

You can see the quality dropping off as the frames roll (this is a reversing animation btw wink.gif ) but whereas normally I'd toss out the later frames/captures I thought I'd leave them in this time by way of example...as said, CN file-size limitations has this at about half capture scale.

More blather & the collimation stage video snippets I mentioned in the edit of the first post... wink.gif

j2021-05-17_20-43_r_dpm.gif

• h2ologg, Az Frank, eros312 and 6 others like this

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:25 AM

Ok - back to the "anecdotal" blather I originally gained fame for on CN many, many posts ago..! bigshock.gif  rofl2.gif ohmy.gif

After a 240km (150 mile) haul we arrived at Moonta Bay about 3:30pm...after Kev's Spiral Sausage Galaxy pikky in the "square planet challenge" thread that initially reminded me that I was a tad hungry when I posted earlier today at Sedan...upon reflection they actually turned me off - realising they'd probably be really old & quite off - taking into account their probable distance & the speed of light factor..! vomit.gif

With my appetite depressed by such thoughts we motored on without food until we got to the JitterBean Cafe at Lochiel on the main Highway One from Adelaide to Darwin etc, opposite picturesque Lake Bumbunga.

Unfortuantely the Loch Eel Monster has had his ar tail blown off despite his relative newness - the old monster laying looking very forlorn some half a km further North btw.

In keeping with all similar monster images - particularly those from the Scottish Highlands - this image is a grainy, low quality job of our famous whistling.gif "Eely" & no correspondence will be entered into on the subject of his authenticity..! 

LochEelMonster.jpg

With that out of the way we moved on, enjoying the fabulous fennel & pork sausage roll made famous & utterly delicious by the copious amounts of fennel seed that complements the filling! drool5.gif The coffee was also pretty darn good btw! smile.gif

I mentioned in the first post that the seeing was better before we actually started imaging & it got worse as time went on, not that we had much time before Sunrise after all the faffing around we did...evidenced in the last post of the mini-red anime I've just posted.

But we took several little avi snippets to (originally) include the focus collimation star in the images we posted at the start, but didn't get around to that.

Instead I thought I'd display 3 little snippets as we enabled the collimation of the C14 - they aren't definitive by a long way but they show how we progress with whatever seeing we're presented with, the last snippet being a very close to focus video snip. With "in-camera" collimating the gain has to be turned down very low to see what you are looking for btw. The following is a rough guide to the process:

After the first tweaking of the secondary screws on a star. (around 3rd-4th magnitude works well here)

1st-CollimationVideo_19-May.-19-16.27.gif

After the first adjustments we continue the process to arrive at the below appearances - this can sometimes be at a closer-to-focus situation or even de-focused a tad more, depending upon how cooperative the seeing is.

2nd-CollimationVideo_19-May.-19-16.27.gif

Here, with the star pretty close to focus & the gain turned right down we try to see a fairly well-defined A.D. with a first D.R. around it as full as possible - in all these example it is important to let your eyes relax & pick out the underlying overall pattern in the same way that focus can be when the appearance of detail on a planet like Jupiter or Mars makes picking out the position for sharpest focus/best detail presentation difficult. These are all random grabs from the small avi's we ran for each stage without any selecting of frames, although I had to raise the brightness using the application in AS!3 for the in-focus snippet.

Hope these are of some help to someone. smile.gif

3rd-CollimationVideo_19-May.-19-16.27.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 19 May 2021 - 04:39 AM.

• JMP, George Bailey, eros312 and 8 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics