•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

You guys see more and bigger sunspots coming?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:17 AM

Scary stuff.

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

Not really. It's a sign of solar cycle waking up. Infact I think the solar cycle may be weaker. The 60s and 70s had some real monsters
  • siriusandthepup likes this

#3 Astrophotonics

Astrophotonics

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Long Island, New York.

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:58 AM

KP 7 event...........looks like the Sun is waking up alright.

#4 RyanSem

RyanSem

Apollo

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:58 AM

Pretty neat blurb about AR2824 this morning too on https://spaceweather.com/

• Siderius likes this

#5 Alrakis

Alrakis

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:17 AM

The sun is actually more violent when it is less active. It is counter-intuitive, but if you look back at the worst solar storms (in terms of terrestrial effects), they typically happen when the sun is at a more quiet part of the cycle.

Chris

• havasman and Siderius like this

#6 Hax

Hax

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: PEI Canada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:47 PM

I just wanted to explain incase you may be new to solar observation.. the sun has cycles that it goes through (roughly spanning 11 years from minimum activity to the next point of minimum activity. The reason you are seeing more activity On The sun is because the new solar cycle is just beginning, which means you will see more and more spots/proms/flares, and they will be more intense as time goes in for the next few years. I’m pretty new to solar astronomy myself, but it’s really nothing to worry about, it’s totally normal. This cycle (I think) is predicted to be a little less intense than the few before it, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some cool activity going on.

More experienced members please correct me if I’m wrong, but Basically the solar cycles are just the magnetic field of the sun flipping, causing more activity. Mostly the outcome could be increased aurora activity, and sometimes radio black out for certain frequencies. Although I read somewhere something such as “the Carrington event” happened today it could cause trillions in damage and really mess with our technology for quite a while. Anyways I hope this info helps pit you at ease a bit!

-James C

Edited by Hax, 18 May 2021 - 05:04 PM.

#7 EricCCD

EricCCD

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:10 PM

Check out SpaceWeather's archives. Here is one from March 31st this year, looking back 20 years:

https://spaceweather...=2021&view=view

That said, look at SpaceWeather's archives for sunspots back in 2001 and thereabouts.

These are the typesof activity solar gazers are waiting for!

• DavM and Hax like this

#8 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:41 PM

https://www.youtube....CtYMVjdMwM&t=8s

Yup, nothing to see here, lol.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics