•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

would this work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farm24

farm24

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:43 AM

would this work if you take a skywatcher go-to 10" dobsonian and use the go-to to lock onto something say the sombrero galaxy could you make a special adapter for a camera t-ring that rotates it to kinda mimic a equatorial mount so you don't have to buy a $10000 EQ mount you could just use the built in alt-azimuth?

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

Field rotator is probably your only option. They aren’t exactly inexpensive though. Heres one example but you can do a search for telescope field derotator to find others.

https://telescopes.n...on-rotator.html
  • Avgvstvs likes this

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

would this work if you take a skywatcher go-to 10" dobsonian and use the go-to to lock onto something say the sombrero galaxy could you make a special adapter for a camera t-ring that rotates it to kinda mimic a equatorial mount so you don't have to buy a $10000 EQ mount you could just use the built in alt-azimuth?

Yes, it's called de-rotation and is supported by the major brands of camera field rotators.  I'm not sure of the full line-up of brands which do or do not support this, but I know at least the Pegasus Astro Falcon Rotator supports it.  The "software calculates Rate of Rotation (RoR) based on the site latitude, target altitude and azimuth position."  There is an image of their software interface providing this feature on their website at the link I provided under "De-Rotation support for Alt/Az mounts."

CS, Ara

• Avgvstvs likes this

#4 CowTipton

CowTipton

Mariner 2

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

Maybe better off building an eq platform?

Field rotators are expensive.

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

Even if you can find a field rotator that works for you, remember that your scope has diffraction spikes from the secondary spider.  A field rotator will keep the objects in the sky from rotating in the field, but not parts of the telescope.  Because of that, the diffraction spikes will rotate in the field, even with if you use a rotator to keep the field.

An equatorial mount is the way to go.  That said, I would not recommend spending $10k on one.  You can get a decent mount for getting going with deep sky imaging for $1500 to $2000.  Such a mount wouldn't carry your 10" Newt, but it would carry a refractor with no problems.  Pair it with a small pixel camera, and you'd have something that could match the quality of the dob (at least for imaging, where aperture is not the most important thing), and you'd be into the system for far less than a high end mount.  And you'd still have the 10" to do visual work while the imaging system is doing a long integration run.

• PatrickVt and jerahian like this

#6 farm24

farm24

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

Maybe better off building an eq platform?

Field rotators are expensive.

do you have any tutorials on building one?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics