•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Night Cap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:29 AM

I can probably find this somewhere in this forum but it might be just as easy to ask again. Does / has anyone used the iPad app Night Cap to take photos of the night sky, the iPad will be mounted on a tripod with an adapter ? It seems to be quite a versatile tool for both moon / planets, deep sky and other nice capabilities. If any have used it are there any tips that I should know about or try ?

#2 ziggeman

ziggeman

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

I can probably find this somewhere in this forum but it might be just as easy to ask again. Does / has anyone used the iPad app Night Cap to take photos of the night sky, the iPad will be mounted on a tripod with an adapter ? It seems to be quite a versatile tool for both moon / planets, deep sky and other nice capabilities. If any have used it are there any tips that I should know about or try ?

Hi. People use smartphones and that app all the time. :) try this link

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

It sounds to me like you are suggesting using Night Cap with an un-augmented (no telescope) iPad in order to control exposures for night time photos. Correct?

If so, I've only played with it, and it'll never match an actual digital camera, but Night Cap will provide you the most control of your iPad over all the other apps that I've looked at.

Edited by wrvond, 18 May 2021 - 11:18 AM.

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:36 AM

It sounds to me like you are suggesting using Night Cap with an un-augmented (no telescope) iPad in order to control exposures for night time photos. Correct?

If so, I've only played with it, and it'll never match an actual digital camera, but Night Cap will provide you the most control of your iPad over all the other apps that I've looked at.

I have all the camera gear to go with my scopes, I am just looking to have some fun with something different, a bit of a challenge if you will but I might as well gather all the info, the experiences that I can.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics