•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1988 Tak FC-100 - Explore & Restore

Classic Collimation Equipment Optics Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:36 AM

Here you go then! The perfect compliment to your FC-100:

https://www.cloudyni...c-76-f8-mc-ota/

I like that Gray trim!  But... I see some spots on the glass (downloaded & magnified the pix) -- maybe a bit of mold between elements:

FC-76 BSG Lens SPOTS P01.jpg

It's nowhere near as bad as that Gray FC-100 that I came close to buying, but (so far) I haven't taken a Tak lens apart for cleaning.

My new FC-100's immaculate lens is what sold me on it -- even though I really wanted an older version.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 21 May 2021 - 10:39 AM.

• Terra Nova, oldmanastro and Defenderslideguitar like this

#27 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

Here you go then! The perfect compliment to your FC-100:

https://www.cloudyni...c-76-f8-mc-ota/

Wow   bright minds think alike  

Yes   that would do nicely  if one ever tries to replace  a Vixen80fl  that is the one in my view

• Terra Nova likes this

#28 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:49 PM

Wow   bright minds think alike  

Yes   that would do nicely  if one ever tries to replace  a Vixen80fl  that is the one in my view

I absolutely love my FC-76. You can’t go wrong!

Edited by Terra Nova, 22 May 2021 - 08:51 AM.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#29 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:01 PM

An hour well-spent:  This afternoon I adjusted the FC-100's focuser until it works & feels pretty much the same as my FC-50...  IOW, dang near perfect.  It's not that complicated; and, you can set it so the pressure / resistance is even throughout the range of motion.

FYI:  The focus range / tube length is 90mm -- not too shabby.

(Previous owner used the lock-knob to apply pressure, and left a light line in the finish.)

A Bad Thing about working on the focuser up-close for so long is that I found dirt & grime around the lock-knob and the metal label...  Yeah, I'll have to remove that gunk -- the next rainy day...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 21 May 2021 - 07:29 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#30 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Love the Fc-76  as well

talking Taks with you guys

I was going to call this pic   Big man Little man

but it seemed a bit atomic

They are quite a pair this  FC-100 and the FC-76

• Terra Nova likes this

#31 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Love the Fc-76  as well

Love talking Taks with you guys

Attached Thumbnails

• Tak76.100.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 21 May 2021 - 07:02 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and LukaszLu like this

#32 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

• Loc: Winchester, Va

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:09 PM

I recently purchased a beautiful circa 1990 FC-100 and it is every bit as good as everyone says it is.  Large, heavy OTA with big smooth focuser.  A real treat to observe with.  Tried bino viewing with it the other night and that was a bit challenging to find the right kind ot diagonal and OCA to observe with.  Enjoyed lunar observing with 20mm eyepieces but a bit too much power using the OCA.  Probably will go back to single eyepiece viewing, though, as my Baader 2 inch Dielectric diagonal and Panoptic 22mm work great on this scope.  When I want more power I install my TV 3-6 zoom or Baader Mk4 Zoom ep.  Very nice high power or wide field scope.  Can't complain about that Fluorite doublet.  My FC-76DCU and FS-60CQ are totally awesome refractors, but this vintage Tak FC-100 glass is truly a masterpiece of doublet and optical tube design.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5061.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#33 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

... this vintage Tak FC-100 glass is truly a masterpiece of doublet and optical tube design ...

I seriously doubt there's a better 30-year old 4" doublet APO.  I put both my FCs in the Questar league for quality & craftsmanship.

#34 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:58 PM

** I'm posting about these accessories & add-ons for folks who haven't bought a top-tier refractor yet.  These extras factor into the decision to go down this road -- if you're a Thrifty person. **

UPS delivered the Parallax Rings today -- perfect fit.  Besides the dovetail, I put a Vixen aluminum handle on top of these:

Tak FC-100 Extras S02 - Parallax Rings (RS).jpg Tak FC-100 Extras S04 - Parallax Rings (LS).jpg

Dakin 4 has its rings back.  But now, he's miffed that the new kid has a handle...  (Hey!  Robert has his dolls, and JW has his Scopes with Personality.  And, worse than that, some are prima donnas!)

Cases

Thanks to Covid & its supply-chain disruptions, I haven't found a rugged water-proof hard case yet, but I did find:

- Rhino BagMate Multipurpose Telescope Bag, 39x12.3x12.3 inch soft case.  Right now, I set the FC-100 in Ko Ko's padded shipping box.   https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07MR3D8ZV   

Got it ordered, though I really don't like Amazon...

- TS has a case that looks like a scaled-down APM152ED aluminum case.  It's also out of stock.  I'll get one as soon as they're available.

The BagMate is tall enough that I can leave the 50mm finder on the FC-100.  I want a hard case that does the same -- not easy to find.  I used a soft case with my Vixen FL80S.  It had thin foam panels, so I added 2" thick ones all the way round.  I still have it, just in case a 3" APO sneaks into my collection...

Odds are, if you buy a top-tier Classic APO, you're gonna want to protect it.  Even my Tiny Tak / FC-50 has a rugged case:

3 G&Gs in Cases S04 (FC-50).jpg

I figured out later that I could slide the divider forward, leave the cradle on the scope, and still have room up front for an RDF, and other small stuff.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 22 May 2021 - 11:42 PM.

• starmason, Terra Nova, Marcus Roman and 1 other like this

#35 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:57 PM

Love the Fc-76  as well

Love talking Taks with you guys

Love talking Taks with you guys...

They are something to talk about -- especially on Cloudy Nights [see what BB did there?].  IME, it's not hype.  My Tiny Tak hooked me on this brand...

There is a TAK Premium.  Right Now, there's a mint Explore Scientific ED127 Triplet for sale on CN:  https://www.cloudyni...d127-triplet/  

It's $1400.  I paid more than that for my 33-year-old FC-100 Doublet.  Plus Rings + Dovetail + Handle, which this ES Triplet includes.  Yet... I'm a thrifty person.  What gives?

The Views.  The optical & mechanical excellence.  The same reasons for my Questar.

Since I got my 2nd FC, the seeing has been OK to lousy.  The object choices have been very limited.  Despite this, the F8 FC has delivered better than the outstanding 1950s Edmund 4" F15 - my favorite of all my scopes for years.  On the Moon, same black shadows, sharper edges to the jagged terrain, subtler shades of gray, and tiny white debris collars around very small craters that I hadn't noticed in decades of observing.  ALL without any trace of false color.

• davidmcgo, davidc135, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#36 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

I'm spittin' fire!  Just got my Baader ClickLock 2" adapter, and saw...  It has an M56 Female connection.  So does my FC-100.  Sometimes, you do need a Male -- in this case, an M56 Male to M56 Male ring.

Nothing about that on the Agena page for this thing.  Nothing at Baader.  I can't be the first Tak owner to attempt this.  I told the Agena folks:  Find an adapter, or take this thing back!

As for the Baader:  Typical high-quality, smooth functioning, very well made gear.  Has a rubber grip ring for when you're wearing gloves.  I will hate to return it...

If I ran an astro-vendor shop, I'd have a dedicated page:  Takahashi Annoyances for First-Time Buyers -- with Solutions, of course.

• starmason likes this

#37 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South SF Bay Area, California

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:06 PM

I'm spittin' fire!  Just got my Baader ClickLock 2" adapter, and saw...  It has an M56 Female connection.  So does my FC-100.  Sometimes, you do need a Male -- in this case, an M56 Male to M56 Male ring.

Nothing about that on the Agena page for this thing.  Nothing at Baader.  I can't be the first Tak owner to attempt this.  I told the Agena folks:  Find an adapter, or take this thing back!

As for the Baader:  Typical high-quality, smooth functioning, very well made gear.  Has a rubber grip ring for when you're wearing gloves.  I will hate to return it...

If I ran an astro-vendor shop, I'd have a dedicated page:  Takahashi Annoyances for First-Time Buyers -- with Solutions, of course.

You could combine this https://agenaastro.c...apter-m-12.html and this https://agenaastro.c...apter-m-11.html to make a M56 to M56 male to male adapter. What’s another $50 in takonomics. 

#38 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:10 PM

Thanks!  I bet Agena will suggest that 2-ring solution.  Seems like I had to use a couple of rings with another old scope -- I recall that Brand...

Went ahead and ordered them.  Thanks again for the links!!

I'll calm down now -- at least a bit...

Just Remembered:  I used a couple of those Fireball rings to adapt 1.25" accessories to my AO 76mm with the 30mm coarse focus / manual drawtube.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 24 May 2021 - 09:27 PM.

#39 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

+1 on the Parallax rings waytogo.gif! I got a pair several years ago for my TV Genesis SDF and added my own stainless steel handle and aluminum mounting plates. I liked the set up so much I sold the big TV101 Clamshell. The rings and top and bottom mounting plates work so much better!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2CAB5675-2E3A-4E97-A0DF-8F9C475CBE7D.jpeg

#40 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

Parallax has it down cold.  Perfect fit, solid build, & great looks.  Gonna paint that old white Vixen handle Bright Silver to match the dovetail.  It actually is a pretty good Area Aimer for the FC at low powers - and less painful than kneeling to the 50mm Finder.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#41 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:33 AM

I posted this over on the Refractor Forum first.  BB's quick pix of Tak & Vixen interchangeable focuser adapters:

Tak - Vixen Focuser Adapters S03.jpg

For each row, Tak stuff left of the towel fold, and Vixen to the right...

The Vixen 36.4mm Female / Male Extender Tubes can be hard to find, but they give you lots of options for collapsing / extending the length from the Tak "silver" focuser tube to your accessory (diagonal, eyepiece, etc.).  Part Number on mine:  70001

I also have some 1970s / 1980s Nihon-Seiko & spectros rings & things, but those are RARE these days, so not shown.

The lone Collar on the 4th row fits the male thread on my FC-50's silver focuser tube, and lets me add combos of all the other stuff.

IF you really don't like the Tak's Twist-Lock .965" / 1.25" adapter, you can fit a Vixen traditional adapter with thumbscrew / thumbscrew + brass collar.

I have different uses for each adapter type...

Thumbscrew:  With most of my digital cameras, I use a 6mm to 10mm eyepiece for the "rough" focusing, and I need to swap quickly between EP & camera.

Twist-Lock:  I have some pretty heavy 1.25" accessories, like my C/V 4-slot turret & my binoviewer.  I've found the T-L best for holding this stuff securely, AND centering the accessory with the scope's light path.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 29 May 2021 - 04:43 PM.

• astro140, Defenderslideguitar and Marcus Roman like this

#42 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 06:58 PM

Tube Rings & Clamps - DONE:

Tak FC-100 Restore S12 - Tube Rings & Clamps DONE (RS).jpg Tak FC-100 Restore S15 - Tube Rings & Clamps DONE (LS).jpg

3 x SVBONY single-knob clamps so I can use just about any length dovetail.

I can highly recommend these after testing last night.  Secure grip & comfortable handles.  Each of the 3 have 4 bolts holding them on the mount plate.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 30 May 2021 - 07:56 AM.

• Terra Nova, davidc135, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#43 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:51 AM

I should've titled this thread, Used Takahashi Buyer's Guide... 

Because, there's not much fixin' required on a VG condition 33-yr old Tak.  There's mainly customizing & improving.

I won't repeat my observing report from last night comparing the exemplary FC-50 with the FC-100.  I think 98% of Refractor Fans would be thrilled with either of these APOs.  

I did some low-power sweeping last night at 29x (RKE 28), looking mainly for fuzzies.  Very nice!  Made me antsy to get the Baader 2" CL on this frac, and put it on the zero-friction Edmund EQ.  Imagine that combo in the country with the summer Milky Way...

The silver handle isn't required, but it's good insurance for an old guy installing / removing a scope in sharp-edged clamps.  In the dark.  Way past his bedtime.  The 100 arrived with no dings, dents, or deep paint scratches, and I want to keep it that way!

I need to "rough up" the felt in the Parallax Rings:  Last night, scope at the zenith, and it started sliding down, and swinging back - lens towards my noggin - thought I had the knobs as tight as possible -- obviously not!  Otherwise, on my TP/MSF EQ, the eyepiece height is very comfortable for the darkest areas of the sky.  The 100 only needs 1 counterweight, and visual tracking with a good polar alignment is reliable up to 300x.  Tracking is as good as any of my 4" fracs on this mount.

If the weather cooperates, tonight will be my last FC vs FC session.  Next up, FC-100 vs Dakin 4.  The shorter FC will move to the TT/MSP EQ, and the Dakin will get the TP/MSF -- it strains the Mizar!

• Esso2112 likes this

#44 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

Once you go Tak you don't go back jack.  Nothing beats them in the 3 to 4" range. All easy 100x per inch killers.

• coopman, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#45 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:34 AM

Tough to beat a Tak.  What are the odds that my 2 FCs would be outstanding?  Same as ASTRO vintage fracs -- reliable quality.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#46 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:59 AM

Tough to beat a Tak.  What are the odds that my 2 FCs would be outstanding?  Same as ASTRO vintage fracs -- reliable quality.

I would say the odds are as much as getting a bad Zambuto mirror.  Never seen a dud Zambuto or a Dud Tak. Now Celestron and Meade is another story.

#47 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:36 PM

Great scope JW.  I just got to stop being lazy and take my two FS102's and build that Tak Binoscope.  I got all the parts sitting in boxes.  

• Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and Marcus Roman like this

#48 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:41 PM

Thanks, Johann.  Based on what I've seen so far, I can't imagine a Tak 102mm Fluorite Binocular... OMG!

#49 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:51 PM

Gotta love the Taks 

for classic APOs  hard not to love the Taks and for that matter Vixen Fluorites

Never failed  to be impressed with them......

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#50 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 06:11 PM

Loved my Vixen FL80S F8 -- knew I'd regret selling it.  I like the Vixen conventional focuser & tube rings.  I like the lighter weight OTAs.  DPAC for the FL80S was very very similar to my Tak FC-50.  I came close to buying a brand new SD103S or AX103S (though it seemed made for imaging).

But... the FC-50 was a stronger influence than the FL80S, and I went Tak -- and really wanted a 1984/85 FC-100.  Get as close to the Tiny Tak as possible - and my 1985 Sky Cancer EQ.  Oh, well.

But BB, if you're gettin' a Tak, why not brand new?  Well... some of the new versions have qualities I'm not crazy about; and, due to the Pandemic, availability was limited.  And, I obviously like The Classics.  And, as I'm Scottish, getting that outstanding 50mm finder & bracket trumped a new bare tube -- thrift triumphed.

And by saving $$$$, I can buy scopes to tinker with -- like the ATLAS that's on its way to The Swamp...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, Collimation, Equipment, Optics, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics