•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1988 Tak FC-100 - Explore & Restore

Classic Collimation Equipment Optics Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:48 PM

got to love Taks.  A good alternative to AP when you cant put out the big bucks for that extra resolution in your images.

#77 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 05 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

I'd have to have a SxS between AP & Tak before plunking down the extra $$$$, and I don't see that happening (even without the Covid Lockdowns).  Based on owner reports, the AP is superior.  Makes sense, it's a limited-production scope with waiting lists, while Tak is not.  I guarantee that my hand-crafted D&G 5" F10 would've beat any Vixen or other production achro at that aperture back in 1988.  Ah!  What Views!

Anywho, BB's quest for a near-perfect 4" Workhorse is over.  And, as my timing always stinks, right at the end of our best observing weather at The Swamp...

#78 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:23 AM

I'd have to have a SxS between AP & Tak before plunking down the extra $$$$, and I don't see that happening (even without the Covid Lockdowns).  Based on owner reports, the AP is superior.  Makes sense, it's a limited-production scope with waiting lists, while Tak is not.  I guarantee that my hand-crafted D&G 5" F10 would've beat any Vixen or other production achro at that aperture back in 1988.  Ah!  What Views!

Anywho, BB's quest for a near-perfect 4" Workhorse is over.  And, as my timing always stinks, right at the end of our best observing weather at The Swamp...

To me, difficult to beat a Tak fluorite doublet in terms of contrast and sharpness by any other scope in the same diameter range. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#79 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:25 AM

got to love Taks.  A good alternative to AP when you cant put out the big bucks for that extra resolution in your images.

That’s the last scope I’m holding out for. An AP Starfire 102 F8! If I ever get another scope, that will be the one!

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#80 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:37 AM

To me, difficult to beat a Tak fluorite doublet in terms of contrast and sharpness by any other scope in the same diameter range. 

That's why I'd have to see the difference for myself.

As for plunking down $$$$$:  We sold a house last month, so Extra Money ain't a problem.  The deciding factor for BB is starting on the "cheap" (is $1000+ for a 50mm frac cheap??) with the Tiny Tak; putting it through my wringer, and validating the folklore.  I'd seriously consider A-P IF I could repeat that process.  Start small aperture & smaller dollars, and go from there.

In this / my thread, I am 100% determined to avoid that Refractor Elite stuff.  I budgeted $5000 for my 4" APO workhorse.  I got lucky, and scored my FC-100 for less than that - initially.  Gotta take all the Extras into the cost, too.  Well...  I have to, but I'm half Scottish.  When the dust settles, this 33-yr old Tak is a $2000 acquisition.  For a 4" refractor.

Ah!  But The Views!!  (Have I mentioned, Jupiter knife-edge sharp at 400x?  In 8/10 seeing?  With strato-cirrus moving in?)

Edited by Bomber Bob, 05 June 2021 - 11:24 AM.

• Marcus Roman likes this

#81 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:13 AM

That’s the last scope I’m holding out for. An AP Starfire 102 F8! If I ever get another scope, that will be the one!

The Brandon AP triplet is not bad. Not the AP starfire, but for the money I will take one anytime.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#82 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:25 AM

The Brandon AP triplet is not bad. Not the AP starfire, but for the money I will take one anytime.

I used to want a Brandon 94 a lot. I pretty much go over it. I would love to own a full fledge AP tho. The old AP Starfire 127 F8 is nice too!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#83 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

I had the baby blue Brandon 94 at one time.  It was very heavy for its aperture and in the end I sold it back to Don at Vernonscope.  The FS and FC Taks are so much lighter for their aperture.  The TOA's are another story though.   

• Bomber Bob likes this

#84 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:26 AM

BB   We are very pleased that you found a great four inch fluorite  You went about the research and the search and presto you are rewarded  with such a nice find..... not surprised here  as  we have been big fans of the FC-100 ......Now    that one should be a keeper forever  in theory

En re   AP scopes of dreams and aspirations   I myself would look for bigger than 4 inch. With three very good four inch refractors   and the FS-128     I  personally  would save up to be ready if  a 6 inch AP popped up for sale. An early one would be just fine... Had a chance for a pre starfire one here last fall and muffed it.  Poof it was gone..... 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#85 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:12 PM

En re   AP scopes of dreams and aspirations   I myself would look for bigger than 4 inch. With three very good four inch refractors   and the FS-128     I  personally  would save up to be ready if  a 6 inch AP popped up for sale. An early one would be just fine... Had a chance for a pre starfire one here last fall and muffed it.  Poof it was gone..... 

as I said, “The old AP Starfire 127 F8 is nice too!wink.gif

Another thought would be to go in the other direction with a Stowaway. I don’t have anything between 80mm and 101mm except the Questar. .... except the Questar” she says! 
lol.gif

Still, with my Genesis SDF at F5.4 and the my Vixen ED102SS at F6.5 there would be room for an F8.

Edited by Terra Nova, 07 June 2021 - 01:33 PM.

• Jacques, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#86 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:15 PM

After the 2017 APM 152ED, I'm not interested in any refractor that can't ride on the Mizar SP -- about the max cradle height my shoulder can take.

Vixens run lighter than Taks, so a Vixen AX120 / 125 (if they ever make one) would be a possibility at the larger sizes; and, if no Mizar FA-80 comes along, I'll probably be content with the GT-80S F7 achromatic on its way to The Swamp.  Got 2 high-quality F11 & F16 3" achros that I'm definitely Keeping!! 

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and Marcus Roman like this

#87 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:58 AM

Love talking Taks with you guys...

They are something to talk about -- especially on Cloudy Nights [see what BB did there?].  IME, it's not hype.  My Tiny Tak hooked me on this brand...

There is a TAK Premium.  Right Now, there's a mint Explore Scientific ED127 Triplet for sale on CN:  https://www.cloudyni...d127-triplet/  

It's $1400.  I paid more than that for my 33-year-old FC-100 Doublet.  Plus Rings + Dovetail + Handle, which this ES Triplet includes.  Yet... I'm a thrifty person.  What gives?

The Views.  The optical & mechanical excellence.  The same reasons for my Questar.

Since I got my 2nd FC, the seeing has been OK to lousy.  The object choices have been very limited.  Despite this, the F8 FC has delivered better than the outstanding 1950s Edmund 4" F15 - my favorite of all my scopes for years.  On the Moon, same black shadows, sharper edges to the jagged terrain, subtler shades of gray, and tiny white debris collars around very small craters that I hadn't noticed in decades of observing.  ALL without any trace of false color.

There is a Tak premium because Taks are premium!

#88 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:01 AM

I had the baby blue Brandon 94 at one time.  It was very heavy for its aperture and in the end I sold it back to Don at Vernonscope.  The FS and FC Taks are so much lighter for their aperture.  The TOA's are another story though.   

There were two types of 94mm Brandons.  The first ones used full-sized Unitron focusers.  The later model was lighter with a machined down focuser.

#89 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for reminding me I still have an FL90 I need to sell.  I love Fluorite scopes.   Can you imagine having  an 180mm fluorite waytogo.gif

I can imagine it.  I wish I could afford it.

#90 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:20 PM

What's that you say?  My 1988 FC-100 is spoiled... rotten??  No Way!

Okay, maybe I have gone a bit overboard with accessorizing... but, I consider this same-age Celestron (V) 8x50 RA Polar Finder essential gear:

Tak FC-100 Restore T33 - C-V 8x50 RA Polar Finder (RS CU).jpg Tak FC-100 Restore T34 - C-V 8x50 RA Polar Finder (RS CU).jpg

Loosen 1 thumbscrew, and the eyepiece & reticle assembly comes off -- makes for a perfect OTA fit in the TS-130 Case.  And the assembly goes in the silver gray pouch when it's not needed.

See?  Essential.

FYI:  The new finder's hardware, build quality, & glass reticle are 100% identical to that 9x60 Blue Meade (MIZAR) that I bought for the TN5.  I didn't realize how much Mizar & Vixen were "brothers in arms" back 40 years ago...

Edited by Bomber Bob, Yesterday, 04:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, Collimation, Equipment, Optics, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics