•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Optolong L-Pro EOS-C Clip Filter Fitment Issues with Canon 7D?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HBNorm

HBNorm

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:29 PM

Wanted to see if anyone on this forum has been able to get the Optolong L-Pro EOS-C clip filter to install on their Canon 7D?  Fit fine on my Rebel 4Ti but not on the 7D.  I have a filter from Astronomik that is notched. Even Optolong’s L-eNhance clip filter is notched. However, the L-Pro is round with no notches.  I don’t want to break the filter or camera trying to install it.  Also, I don’t want to have to take a file to the filter to notch it if I don’t have to…. Let me know.  Thanks!!!

Clear Skies,

Norm

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:54 PM

Return the filter if it doesn't fit.

#3 HBNorm

HBNorm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2021 - 02:21 PM

Return the filter if it doesn't fit.

It’s a bummer as that might be my only option.  I guess I could use my Rebel 4Ti as well…. Just wondering if anyone else has tried to fit this model in their 7D. 

#4 HBNorm

HBNorm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:49 PM

Anyone else try the L-Pro on their Canon 7D?  If so, how did you get it to fit?  I’ve seen a picture from Optolong but can’t see how they got it to work.  Also, they are absent on their response to my support inquiry.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#5 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:47 PM

Anyone else try the L-Pro on their Canon 7D?  If so, how did you get it to fit?  I’ve seen a picture from Optolong but can’t see how they got it to work.  Also, they are absent on their response to my support inquiry.

Put your camera up without a lens on, and also put the filter, on a white sheet of paper, and take a nice picture of them.
Post it here, if you want for size, put a dime next to the filter so it can be scaled.

Some clip in's can be tricky.
If it doesn't fit, return it.

https://www.optolong...ail/id/138.html

Clear Skies !!

#6 HBNorm

HBNorm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:16 PM

Here are a few photos of the 7D, Rebel T4i, and the Optolong filter compared to the Astronomik CLS filter.  You can see the notches the Astronomik clip filter has versus the Optolong.  I could try to jam it in there but I'll probably end up filing notches into it.  Unfortunately the Rebel T4i is my son's camera so that's not an option...

IMG_1793.jpeg IMG_1792.jpeg IMG_1797.jpeg

Edited by HBNorm, 26 May 2021 - 03:17 PM.

#7 HBNorm

HBNorm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:21 PM

Here are a couple shots of the Astronomik mounted and the Optolong sitting in the same spot.  I circled the fitment issue...  Not sure how they mounted it in their website other than forcing it in there...

IMG_1799.jpeg IMG_1801.jpeg

#8 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:40 PM

Here are a couple shots of the Astronomik mounted and the Optolong sitting in the same spot.  I circled the fitment issue...  Not sure how they mounted it in their website other than forcing it in there...

attachicon.gifIMG_1799.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_1801.jpeg

Is it falling out or anything?  Are you concerned that the scraping or rubbing will contaminate your sensor ?

For the amount that thing cost, I would return it.  If you do not want to return it, and not deal with all the hub bub that goes along with it, I am confident you can just use a small triangle file and take some off the edges there.

I just got done retooling an adapter from a dealer that was messed up and had to do something similar or wait another month for something that is going to be wrong again. 

Return it if you can, complain, and share the images on social media with Optolong tagged so they can see the problem.

I note that some of their newer clip ins are more like the Astronomic frame with cutouts and fingers to hold things securely.

Really sorry for your troubles, definitely bites..

Clear Skies !!

#9 HBNorm

HBNorm

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:58 PM

My concern is that I don’t want something flopping around between the lens and the sensor. I have no problem filing the filter frame but didn’t want to do something irreversible if there was a simple trick that I was missing. Optolong needs to:

1) Respond to their customer inquiries.  Absolute silence with my various emails.

2) Adjust their product description or change the design so their customers don’t run into the same problems that I am.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Clear Skies,

Norm

#10 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:46 AM

My concern is that I don’t want something flopping around between the lens and the sensor. I have no problem filing the filter frame but didn’t want to do something irreversible if there was a simple trick that I was missing. Optolong needs to:

1) Respond to their customer inquiries.  Absolute silence with my various emails.

2) Adjust their product description or change the design so their customers don’t run into the same problems that I am.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Clear Skies,

Norm

Agree'd. 
Playing with my other clip in filters, I've noticed that even the ones that have the tiny triangles grooved out, flipping it around to the other side, the thickness of the filter allows it to sit UNDER those tiny little overhanging triangles that are screwed in where you circled in your images.

I found this on my T2i, T6i, T6s, and on my EOS-M adapter.

Did you try pushing the filter under those little tabs overhanging ?

My optolongs are 2" type, but my other generic clip ins, will slide under.

Good Luck and Clear Skies !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics