•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Loosing a very tight adapter from a filter wheel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:58 PM

I have a small problem. For the first time in over a year, I have a chance to do some imaging (for numerous reasons). I have been working on reconfiguring my FSQ106 to use the f/3.6 reducer, and have all the parts, assembled most of the image train, all M48 now (preparing for the IMX455 some day). I ran into a problem separating an M42 adapter from my Atik EFW2 filter wheel, though, and none of the classic tricks I have tried have worked. I've tried using rubber grippers to separate (not much of an edge to grip with this adapter, its only about a millimeter thick), I've tried freezing it, I've tried using rubbery gloves to manually loose it, I've even tried a wrench with a lot of paper towel around it so I can avoid marring it (it was a fairly expensive adapter). It is well and truly locked in place it seems.

The adapter does have two holes, one on either side. I suspect those are to support the use of some kind of tool to remove it? I have also tried using a pair of true needle nose pliers, however I couldn't get them to grip properly without slipping out, and fearing scratching both the adapter and the FW faceplate, I decided not to actually try to do that. I am wondering if there is a type of tool I am just missing here that would work with those two holes, and allow me to safely unthread this adapter? Anyone have any ideas? Any other ideas besides what I have tried so far to help me separate the adapter from the faceplate?

#2 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors
  • Loc: west of seattle

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:21 PM

One of these?

https://www.amazon.c...21376386&sr=8-3

#3 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

Yes, there are special spanner wrenches for such , like here, but yours is probably too large for those.  There are also special pliers, but again rather for smaller stuff.

You could try a metal bar, drill holes in the correct distance, and thread them for screws that fit in those holes...

• happylimpet likes this

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:31 PM

I have this, similar to one above, but with multiple tips, and a two tube brace structure.

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B07Q354KZ5

Would something like this have a chance?

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B0013HFYKK

Edited by bobzeq25, 18 May 2021 - 05:34 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#5 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:58 PM

Ah! "Lens" spanner wrench! I never put the word lens in there. All the other spanner wrenches I found were just the notched type. I think a lens spanner wrench is what I need. Thanks, guys!

• DJL likes this

#6 Morefield

Morefield

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:33 PM

Had a similar problem with my FSQ.  Resolved it using a pair of running shoes.  Put the FW on some carpet, secure it with your knees, have the adapter you want to I screw pointed up.  Push down on the adapter with the bottom of the shoe and twist. You could put some plastic wrap between the shoe and the adapter if needed.  

In my case I had two small rings to get loose so I used one shoe bottom on each side and twisted.  Couldn’t believe how easy it was!  

• happylimpet and RossW like this

#7 dmcarlsn

dmcarlsn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:44 PM

This is perhaps a variation on Kevin's method:

Put a rubber sheet (like home goods stores sell for opening cans) on a hard flat surface such as a countertop or tile floor.  Place the assembly/adapter with the stuck adapter facing down onto the rubber sheet.  Push the assembly/adapter down into the rubber sheet while turning to unscrew.  This has worked for me in cases where strap wrenches, spanner wrenches, filter wrenches, plastic jawed pliers, heat, cold, etc have all failed.

#8 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:41 AM

Jon,

I had one that was extremely stubborn and I actually heated it in the oven for a while.  I had the temp as low as it would go (175 degrees) and the components I was trying to separate did not have any pieces that could be damaged by the heat.  I pulled it out and it still took a strong effort but thermal change allowed me to get it apart. 

Nice to see you here.  Hope you get some imaging!

#9 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:29 AM

I just had one the other day, two adapters stuck together!  Had to soak them in Liquid Wrench overnight, chuck it in the lathe, and then torque with a pipe wrench... aluminum likes to gall and stick together.

#10 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:38 AM

I just had one the other day, two adapters stuck together!  Had to soak them in Liquid Wrench overnight, chuck it in the lathe, and then torque with a pipe wrench... aluminum likes to gall and stick together.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I actually did soak it in Liquid Wrench. It still hasn't come loose...I haven't tried chucking it on my lathe. Its a wood lathe, so I'm not entirely sure how I would do that...I guess I could thread a spacer into the adapter, then see if I can chuck that, and finally see if I can then loosen the faceplate of the FW. I did order the lens spanner wrench, so if all else fails, I'm pretty sure that will work once it arrives. 

#11 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Something else you could try... do you have a thick spacer?  30 or 40mm?  Seems counter intuitive, but if you thread it on and tighten it solidly (really solid), then grip both spacers at the same time and unthread it might come off.  If you have a rubber strap wrench, all the better.  The additional spacer will give you enough purchase area to grab onto without your hand or the strap wrench slipping off.  I've broken the grip on many "too tight" spacers by cranking on a long spacer and pulling them off together.  Getting the two spacers apart from one another after, is generally easier without something like a FW in the way. 

Edited by ChrisWhite, 19 May 2021 - 04:09 PM.

• happylimpet likes this

#12 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:43 PM

I have a spanner wrench.  Still tough and it is hard to not scratch things.

Also have this:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great.

#13 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:11 PM

I tried a bunch of things, including screwing on a spacer real tight. Nothing worked until this arrived:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has several tips. I used a tapered squarish tip, which gripped the two holes in the spacer nicely. Spacer came right off, no slip of the spanner, wasn't even hard to do, didn't really seem to require that much force. 

• happylimpet and bugbit like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics