•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Live Stacking with ASIAir Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dave85374

dave85374

Sputnik

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:29 PM

I just got my HyperStar, ASIAir Pro and the ASI294 MC Pro and tried it out last night.

Focusing was no problem with a mask. Preview was a snap, just pick the object and the and the number of seconds for the shot.  Live stacking was something of a problem though as you again pick the time in seconds for the shot, but no where I can find is there a place to select HOW MANY SHOTS you wish to take.  The only options I see there are basically UNLIMITED or 10 minutes, 20 minutes and on up.  Not much good if you wish to take15 shots at 4 seconds.  Taking the unlimited is the only option that might work as you can just watch the number of shots pile up and when you have reached your number press the shoot button again and it stops.

The manual shows this, but doesn't mention the number of shots:

Live stacking is the automated onscreen stacking of multiple images in realtime ‒ this can be a great feature to show faint objects to friends and family or at a star party .
• Step 1: Switch the app to Preview mode, select the target you want to shoot on the mount control panel, GoTo to the target, and shoot a short test image to adjust image composition.
• Step 2: Switch the app to Live Stacking mode, Choosing Light frames select the exposure length by pressing the time entry , choosing a time from the roller and pressing OK.

The only place that mentions the number of shots is the Autorun area.

So, what am I doing wrong or missing?

• hornjs likes this

#2 millsbob

millsbob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Massachusetts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:41 PM

you're not missing anything, except that ASILive is intended for EAA, not astrophotography, so the measure of an image is how pleasing it is in realtime, and there's no reason to tie that to some specific number of exposures of n seconds. it's intended primarily for one shot color imaging and watching the image build up, although you could do mono with it as well.

if you want to do astrophotograpy instead, the ASIImg feature might be of more interest to you. or if you want to stack subframes later, the ASIDeepStack function will also do what it sounds like you prefer. either of those allow you to set a specified number of subs and exposure time, etc.

but ASILive is perfect for me!

Edited by millsbob, 18 May 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#3 dave85374

dave85374

Sputnik

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:09 PM

I am only really interested in EAA but would like to keep some nice photos for myself on my IPAD.  So you are saying that I would have to use the Autorun feature for that.  So the people out here that show something shot at 15 x 4 are using the Autorun to achieve that and not Live Stacking feature.

It wasn't explained that way to me when I purchased my things.

#4 Jamez

Jamez

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern New Mexico

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:28 PM

No, you can save an image to your iPad anytime you want during the livestack. There’s a save button on bottom right I believe (sorry I do it by memory now so exact location escapes me) :)

anyway, each time you click it will save the stack in session. It also saves the same to the thumb drive or card(depending how you configured it). You can also configure it to save each capture separately to the thumb drive or card so you can stack using another software. 

Hope this clarifies some. Good luck!

#5 hornjs

hornjs

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

Jamez is correct.  Let the live stack run, then click this button when you are done, or any time during the stack.  i tend to hit it a few times, just in case Elon Musk photobombs me.  Can always delete the ones you don't want.  Don't worry about the number of shots.  Just let it run until you are happy.  I sometimes let mine go a while if faint.  In the livestack menu, you can also save individual subs, which I have been doing for later processing (different forum than eaa lol).    

Attached Thumbnails

• Inkedcapture_LI.jpg

Edited by hornjs, 18 May 2021 - 07:23 PM.

• Tony Bonanno, cpl43uk and Jamez like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics