•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron GEM45 or Celestron CGX L ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

Hi. I want to buy new mount for my Celestron Cpc EdgeHD deluxe 1100 with ZWO ASI294MC Main Camera, ZWO ASI385 for guidecamera, ZWO guidescope, ASIAIR PRO and 2inches eye piece as well as Starsense camera. Starsense will be removed if I opt for iOptron. That’s the total number of gears to be attached.

I’ve choice of selecting either Ioptron GEM45 or Celestron CGX L

Please advise which is a better choice ?

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:06 PM

Hi. I want to buy new mount for my Celestron Cpc EdgeHD deluxe 1100 with ZWO ASI294MC Main Camera, ZWO ASI385 for guidecamera, ZWO guidescope, ASIAIR PRO and 2inches eye piece as well as Starsense camera. Starsense will be removed if I opt for iOptron. That’s the total number of gears to be attached.

I’ve choice of selecting either Ioptron GEM45 or Celestron CGX L

Please advise which is a better choice ?

The CEM70 is the counterpart to the CGX-L and probably a better choice.

• ewave, Hobby Astronomer and 42itous1 like this

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:50 AM

Hi

I’m not sure about the GEM 45 but iOptron told me that the CEM45 would not handle a RASA11 well for imaging. I assume the Edge11 weighs at least what the RASA11 does. If you like iOptron, probably best to consider the CEM70 line of mounts. A call to the vendor to go over your specific situation is easy to do and always a good idea.

Gary

• ewave likes this

#4 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:26 AM

The GEM45 will not be able to handle that much weight and provide accurate tracking for AP. Either the Celestron mount or a CEM70 would be the better options. If you can find a used CEM60, that may also be an option.

The only thing I do know about AP is that you want to keep you total load at about 50% of the mount's rated capacity

• ewave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics