•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sergio Bonilla AltAz Mount Brief Review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lentini

Lentini

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:45 PM

Sergio Bonilla makes these mounts. Shipping from Medellin, Columbia, I found the packaging ironic. Hopefully that’s not offensive to anyone. You can buy on Astromart. 

Sergio is a great guy who is responsive to questions and orders. 

I paired the mount with a grab-n-go tripod from iFootage. With my Borg 100ED, with and without a Linear Binoviewer, it’s been very solid and stable. It has one horizontal rotation lock, and two on the altitude. I use a Svbony one-clamp vixen style to affix the Borg. It seems very sufficient. With a binoviewer and medium weight eyepieces, I have to add weights to balance the scope. The mount handles the weight well, but everything is easier without the binoviewers as you’d expect. 

Motion is very smooth. The locks can be used to adjust the motion tension, but loose they are great if you’re balanced. 

There are two pairs of screws (two sizes) on each mount adapter spaced at 35mm. I’m not sure the sizes, but he can tell you. The crossbar can be adjusted left and right to some degree. And it is possible to adjust the alignment of the two mounting adapters if they’re not perfectly aligned. I don’t have a second scope to attach yet. 

Overall, a very nice hand-guided alt-az mount. Very solid. Well made. Smooth. Good value. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 89D79009-9A14-4B22-8494-4CDCFEFF7E53.jpeg
  • EDFAF675-0DCE-44D4-A732-F5868DE6FF89.jpeg
  • E515DA74-0C36-44BE-87D3-7A6267FFBC5E.jpeg

• havasman and jeremiah2229 like this

#2 Lentini

Lentini

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

Close up 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2A59EFBC-C74C-4D41-BF87-1CF5AE9B9971.jpeg

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

I too found the packaging interesting...there was basically none just the box. Likely a cost issue, whether that is packaging costs and or shipping costs

For smaller scopes this mount is fine but I found it didn't hold hold well with a NP127. Got vibrations that were noticable. It was on a heavy duty meade tripod so I know it wasn't that.

Also, the mount head really needs an extension column. A rigid one, not made from the same material as the mount head.

The mount was fine for 100mm scopes or less. Maybe dual mounting would have helped out the NP127 load because of the counterweight action. 

#4 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:25 PM

I too found the packaging interesting...there was basically none just the box. Likely a cost issue, whether that is packaging costs and or shipping costs

For smaller scopes this mount is fine but I found it didn't hold hold well with a NP127. Got vibrations that were noticable. It was on a heavy duty meade tripod so I know it wasn't that.

Also, the mount head really needs an extension column. A rigid one, not made from the same material as the mount head.

The mount was fine for 100mm scopes or less. Maybe dual mounting would have helped out the NP127 load because of the counterweight action. 

Wonder what the weight capacity might be.  I have a Tak Sky 90 and an NP 101, and I'm thinking that this mount could handle either of them.  I just looked on Astromart and it appears that he does offer an extension column.  

#5 Lentini

Lentini

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:51 PM

Yes, he does have an extension column available to match, also available on Astromart as you mention. My tripod extends far enough I don’t need it. I am 6’3” for reference. 

Edited by Lentini, 18 May 2021 - 07:53 PM.

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:52 PM

Wonder what the weight capacity might be.  I have a Tak Sky 90 and an NP 101, and I'm thinking that this mount could handle either of them.  I just looked on Astromart and it appears that he does offer an extension column.  

I cannot comment on the extension column as it was not available when I used mine. It should be okay for your two scopes but.... 

I think a DSV3 or Losmandy AZ8 would be ideal though for your scopes.  One complaint I had with the DSV3 is that the original single knob DSV saddle was not strong enough to secure the same NP127 with 31N.  Better to get two knobs or a different losmandy compatible saddle plate installed on it.  The DSV2 can work for your scopes if you were looking for something really light weight though.

• turtle86 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics