•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

computer desk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 proa

proa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:20 AM

I have just completed an "observatory" in the form of a low deck, a Bike Barn motorcycle shelter (trike size), and a DIY pier/caddy combination in SS with 3 casters and 3 adjustable feet. My equipment now includes a CN212 and an  ASI 178MM, on a GM8 mount.

So next I need a raised desk or rack of some kind for a  PC, a mouse, a 24" monitor and some charts. Do you have a design beyond a couple of low shelves? I'd be grateful for some photos. If there's an off-the-peg, readily-available  commercial product, a photo of that would be great too.

Thanks

Andrew

• Cali likes this

#2 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

Google "computer desks". Then click on "Images" at the top of the screen.

Example.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 19 May 2021 - 11:00 AM.

#3 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 19 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

It's minimalist, but you can whip up a DIY desk - custom height, shape, etc. - for cheap.  Google "PVC table caps" for leg attachments or you can buy legs alone from a woodworkers supply store.

• ShaulaB likes this

#4 proa

proa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

Guys: thanks. I had looked at google images but none is right. I recently built, from plans alone, a 19 foot  outrigger sailing canoe with kick-up rudders. The rudders incorporate bronze gudgeons, while the cheeks are attached with copper rivets and roves. I am quite the  expert at wasting both cheap and expensive materials. It's the dimensions that I am seeking, dimension based on experience.

Andrew

#5 proa

proa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:28 PM

I'm asking for too much from this desk. If the surface is at the level of my forearms and if it's carrying a monitor then stability becomes an issue. A rigid wide base is essential. That means stiff sides, with a stiff back, and stiff upper front. Gotta let those toes get under the front edge of the surface. I drew out a plan using little more than a single piece of 3/4 ply:  $60 for the ply, $20 for a box of good screws and lots for drawer sliders. It'll be a clunker.

So I'm going to lose the monitor. If I can't work without one then I'll sell my camera. This isn't astronomy anymore. 

Thanks anyway.

A

-------------------------------------

Do it now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics