•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Roll off roof controllers suggestions and interfacing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:57 PM

looking for some suggestions for a ROR controller .... built commercial or home build is ok 

I don't mind some homebuild or PCB construction 

there is a few designs and suppliers like foster systems, Lunaticos, scopedome etc 

my roof is driven by a garage door openers and chain system 

I have 2 permanent piers in it 

I'd like to interface into SGP that could be running on 2 separate instances or more across 2 piers and remote controlled from house or via remote dial in 

ascom compliant drivers available for SGP 

I'd be ok with a small PC out in the obs to run all this and a UPS for backup should power fail (I am rural) or have a web front end to it all online would be good

I want to interface into sky cams and weather stations etc so I can run remote and safely :)   and park the scope/close roof when I get fogged out!!

needs to support sensors so I can park scopes safely 

quite a list huh!

Anyway interested in options and ideas plus any expericences from which vendors are good / not so good

ta

Simon

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:04 PM

https://interactivea...om/skyroof.html

Clear Skies.

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:30 PM

I have the skyroof system from interactive astronomy. It works with the aleko garage door openers and has, in the latest version, a LAN port so that the roof can be controlled by any computer on your network. Mine is now 2 years old and has worked perfectly. It has a companion weather system and a failsafe sensor that will close the roof if power is lost or the computer controlling it crashes. (You do need a UPS to close the roof if power is lost, of course.) My obs has two systems and no electricity when I'm not out there. So, reliability is paramount. Not sure if they can deliver a 240 volt system though.

Rgrds-Ross

#4 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:51 PM

Have you decided on a controller? Today, I ordered a DIY system that promises the same function as the packaged systems. It will replace my 12+ year old Foster Systems controller

It's called OCS or observatory control system.
Clear Skies,
Paul

#5 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:36 AM

I use Raspberry-Pi with a relay board.  I have full software for both DOME control and ROR control. It runs Alpaca protocol which is ASCOM compatible.

The Raspberry-Pi has plenty of input pins that can be added as sensors.  My code is all open source and I would be happy to write the additional sensor input for you (free of charge).

github  https://github.com/msproul/AlpacaPi/

more documentation https://msproul.github.io/AlpacaPi/

Mark

• rgsalinger and R Botero like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics