•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Tasco White tube scopes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:58 AM

I started digging everything I have out from corners due to a local inquiry for a Tasco 7TE-5 with F=1000mm. I thought I had one but no luck yet, none the less....

I have a guaranteed way to thin using the concept of the first string listed in this forum. It's so integral that I don't think I'll have to use that string. Everything in the upper left corner marked off by the red line is a Tasco vintage white thing. The box at the bottom of the middle pile is labeled a 12TE-5 but also Very Nice. I have no recollection of it but it should stand on it's own so I'm not digging that far. It isn't easy to get to that shelf with the floor stuff out in front of it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010003.JPG
  • P1010004.JPG

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#2 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

This is everything except the 7TE-5 light brown box. The 7TE-5 is a separate entity. 

From the top:

66T   50mm

5VTE

12TE-5  ( will compare and share up with the one in box on shelf)

Bottom left and in the box are both "Astronomical Telescope, Coated Lens" with no specific model number. They are identical 60mm f=700mm.  I'm not sure the box is correct for these. 

There is an extra 60mm lens in cell with shield by the loose parts.  Only the 66T is 50mm, all the rest are 60mm for comparison time. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010005.JPG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#3 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:31 AM

I did a swap just about every possible cell to OTA including the loose lens in cell. The 5VTE and parts are in the bottom Right corner. 

All the scopes on the Left were interchangeable. Those are the 12TE-5 and both "Astronomical Telescope".  One cell was a little snug on one OTA but they all went together so they are threaded the same. 

The 5VTE didn't match anything else. Anything crossed with the 5VTE in either cell or OTA would only go on between one and two turns before mushing to a bind. The 5VTE is also a shorter focal length than anything else, while the others have pairs. The 5VTE is a definite parts case so on to that odd scope out.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010022.JPG

Edited by apfever, 21 May 2021 - 08:41 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:57 AM

The 5VTE is a lil ol' circle K, 60mm, F= about 600mm. There is no focal length or ratio listed on the label. These get discussed occasionally but not much. I can see why they are liked by some. There is some quality build in what little I have, and some nice unique aspects. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010015.JPG
  • P1010017.JPG
  • P1010018.JPG

• mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#5 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:57 AM

Just curious - what do you think a pristine 1969 Tasco 7TE-5 would sell for?  Asking for a friend :)

#6 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Just curious - what do you think a pristine 1969 Tasco 7TE-5 would sell for?  Asking for a friend smile.gif

I'm old school and tend to resist rising prices. I'm probably even a little out of line with comments on those that step out with a notably high price on a scope to be a trend setter. A pristine 7TE-5 would sell for more than I would quote or offer to sell one for. A search of the classifieds should show some recent SOLD scopes. High priced listings that haven't sold should be taken with a grain of salt. Others can quote you and make a brief statement or link, but this string isn't going down that road more than a couple. Please don't do it guys but a couple of comments to help Peter are good.

Edited by apfever, 21 May 2021 - 09:46 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:44 AM

Why I take objective photos with caution. I'm not a fan of these even in my own ads. Some are openly annoyed by this. Many novice, beginners, flippers, and the like are simply ignorant of objective photos so they get omitted. The more experienced, and Especially the unscrupulous experienced can make a mediocre objective look WOW.  I find it a pain to take a load of pictures to get that good one. I'll disclose an issue if there is one. Admittedly the last photo gives a 'feel good' sensation but not always reality. 

This lens is in good shape. There are some coating marks from some debris but no glass issues and it is nicely useable. Good looking, spacers intact, ZERO chips (not for Robert!), looks like it has never been removed. 

The best part is the threading. The cell has a much longer smooth leader than all the others and longer than most makes and models in general. The tube has a smooth leader as well along with much longer threading. A leader on a tube is rare, and a nice thing. I've had others but not many.  Either cell or tube from the VTE was a distinct pleasure to cross check compared to the others. It was much easier to get going correctly with confidence even though none of the comparisons matched. Then the cell kept getting better....

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010019.JPG
  • P1010020.JPG
  • P1010021.JPG

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#8 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:18 AM

Everything is metal and glass. Keeping this picture bigger as I think this is cool. I love that knurled retainer ring made for hands and no tools. It was correctly set when I unscrewed it and nested back to position when I put it back on. This made examining the lens a pleasure. NICE lens in spite of some small coating marks. Considering my intent to dispose of this scope, the lens was not removed or cleaned. 

Another step up was the dew shield threading. Two of the other scopes were stuck. The two other shields that did come off had far less threading. This 5VTE dew shield came off and went on very nicely. 

I mic'd all 4 tubes for wall thickness. The 5VTE is the thickest wall. Consider how substantial the finish damage is. This is the ugliest most abused tube and it has absolutely no dents or dings. This is ideal for a strip, light touch up, and paint. 

I used to have a bag labeled 5VTE parts but haven't seen it for along time. I think it was scavenged for parts but I'll do a quick look around and include if found. This matches nothing I have and is too incomplete to bother restoring on this end. It is f r e e with stipulation that receiver already has one and can appreciate the parts. Don't pm me if you don't have one, send a picture, better yet strut your stuff here. It ALL stays together, receiver can toss stuff, not me. I won't be stuck with bits impossible to pass on or bother with, all or nothing, u cover shipping, no regular pypl. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010025.JPG

Edited by apfever, 21 May 2021 - 10:58 AM.

• mdowns likes this

#9 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:40 AM

This all started because of a local members interest in a 7TE-5 F=1000mm. I'm awaiting confirmation this will now be a no go visit before I stash it all away except for the VTE to give out.  Due to my 7TE-5 not being the right one, I didn't go gung ho on taking everything out. But hey, It's a RAO so here are some shots sent to the original inquirer. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010007.JPG
  • P1010008.JPG

Edited by apfever, 21 May 2021 - 11:00 AM.

#10 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

Oh dang, dead string till I know the photo issues. Can't do photos no matter what now.

Apple or Windows, I'd Reset the Web Browser:

- If you have multiple Tabs open, CLOSE them;

- Clear Out the Browser's CACHE;

- CLOSE the Browser;

- Wait a minute, then RESTART the Browser;

- Log Back in to CN, and try uploading photos.

(I uploaded a photo a few minutes ago with no issues, so it's probably a local browser problem.)

Edited by Bomber Bob, 21 May 2021 - 10:59 AM.

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:02 AM

Just curious - what do you think a pristine 1969 Tasco 7TE-5 would sell for?  Asking for a friend smile.gif

Let's not go off on the Price Tangent, please.  I'd pay a premium for a pristine 7TE-5 IF it had original documentation (especially 1st owner's sales receipt!), and the RARE Tasco-branded Motor Drive.  IF it had the Wind-up Drive, I'd probably jump first, ask questions later.

#12 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Bob, that worked.

This is as far as I go till feedback on the 7TE and VTE.  Questions comments welcome. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010009.JPG
  • P1010011.JPG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#13 Cheeky_Monkey

Cheeky_Monkey

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 09 October 2021 - 06:51 AM

Re: 5VTE
I just won a bid on a Tasco 5VTE, circle K. I’ve not received it yet but was hoping I could get some advice on restoring the old girl.

I’m the amateur’s amateur astronomer and have been following Cloudy Nights for some years now, I’m pretty sure this is my first post.

I love old optics and have jumped into collecting. Any advice anyone can offer concerning my new hobby would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve
  • Bomber Bob likes this

#14 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:30 AM

I think that rare souped up 4" Tasco on a pier would bring more than a 4" Unitron.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#15 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:19 AM

Re: 5VTE
I just won a bid on a Tasco 5VTE, circle K. I’ve not received it yet but was hoping I could get some advice on restoring the old girl.

I love old optics and have jumped into collecting. Any advice anyone can offer concerning my new hobby would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve welcome to CN :)

The Tasco 5VTE isn't really a great place to start optically, the zoom magnification section and eyepiece are of mediocre/poor quality. The good thing is 5VTE's are cheap and not really heartbreaking if something goes wrong during restoration. Some owners leave them standard for nostalgic/purist reasons while a great many are shortened and converted to RFT's. The objective is a 60x 432mm (f7,ish) that performs well as a RFT after some cutting and conversion, there are plenty of threads here on CN detailing the steps.

As for collecting classics, 40,50 and some 60mm's are the cheap way into collecting unless you go straight into the more premium higher quality brands/manufacturers, most perform well but there are some that have issues. If you're thinking of buying a classic scope just ask here and you'll likely find someone who can give sound advice.

good luck with the vte. :)

• Cheeky_Monkey likes this

#16 Cheeky_Monkey

Cheeky_Monkey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:04 PM

Hi Steve welcome to CN smile.gif

The Tasco 5VTE isn't really a great place to start optically, the zoom magnification section and eyepiece are of mediocre/poor quality. The good thing is 5VTE's are cheap and not really heartbreaking if something goes wrong during restoration. Some owners leave them standard for nostalgic/purist reasons while a great many are shortened and converted to RFT's. The objective is a 60x 432mm (f7,ish) that performs well as a RFT after some cutting and conversion, there are plenty of threads here on CN detailing the steps.

As for collecting classics, 40,50 and some 60mm's are the cheap way into collecting unless you go straight into the more premium higher quality brands/manufacturers, most perform well but there are some that have issues. If you're thinking of buying a classic scope just ask here and you'll likely find someone who can give sound advice.

good luck with the vte. smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome and information. I’m really happy you suggested the 5VTE as a good scope to start with to learn a little about telescope restoration. I’ve  picked up a few other old scopes over the last few months which appear to my untrained eye to be of higher quality. All are awaiting some TLC.

I'm curious, of the old Japanese Tasco white and red scopes which would you consider the best optically (Excluding the 9VR)?

• GreyDay likes this

#17 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:24 AM

I'm curious, of the old Japanese Tasco white and red scopes which would you consider the best optically (Excluding the 9VR)?

With white tubes grab "early" examples,  the "Royal Astro" 76mm tasco's are very good and sought after. The early 50 and 60mm's that are recognised by their max magnification rather than a model number also perform slightly better than later circle T (Towa) models.

The Red tubes are a very mixed bag, the 9VR and some other models are okay but again early examples are better. Later models became mostly inferior both optically and in build quality.

• Cheeky_Monkey likes this

#18 Cheeky_Monkey

Cheeky_Monkey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

With white tubes grab "early" examples,  the "Royal Astro" 76mm tasco's are very good and sought after. The early 50 and 60mm's that are recognised by their max magnification rather than a model number also perform slightly better than later circle T (Towa) models.

The Red tubes are a very mixed bag, the 9VR and some other models are okay but again early examples are better. Later models became mostly inferior both optically and in build quality.

Thanks for the information, particularly concerning Royal Astro. I’ve seen a few on auction sites here and there but didn’t know they produced a scope under the Tasco brand. I’m guessing the 76mm is highly sought after. Good to know.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics