•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to Ship Astro Items Safely

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:07 AM

How to Ship Astro Items Safely

#2 marxy

marxy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

What a great article. :bow:

Thanks alot

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

Dave, that is a spectacular article; thank you so much!

#4 jmcdonald

jmcdonald

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

Super article - thanks.

#5 sectorzed

sectorzed

Astroholic

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

Packing peanuts is a pox upon both the end consumer and the shipping company.

When I first received my Atlas mount, the person who sent it shipped both the mount and the counter-weights in one large carton using only styrafoam packing peanuts to secure them!!!

I'm amazed someone didn't get killed along the way..

I'm even more amazed the UPS somehow managed to get all the pieces to me!
:ohgeeze:
-Gary:refractor:
simply amazed

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

thank you,

the may be the most valuable article EVER presented on CNs

edj

#7 Astrogranny

Astrogranny

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

I had Spectrum Coatings do my mirror (6" f/8, but I made it, so it was precious to me) based on the fact that they had put such good instructions on their web page. Now, a couple of questions:

The pink foam is hard to find here. What about the white styrofoam sheets (1/2" or so)?

Any instructions for using the stuff that comes in a can and expands all over the place? I've gotten delicate items that were shipped that way. It appeared that the shipper had put some of the goo in the box, then put down a sheet of plastic and the item being shipped, then more plastic and more goo, then seal the box. It works Very Well, but I have this vision of the stuff all over everything ...

Martha
N 39
W 77
14" TScope
8" SCT
6" Dob ("Little Bear")

#8 dave b

dave b

Aurora

• -----

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

the expanded, white styrofoam sheets may be OK but crumble easily, so they would be a last resort. dow makes blue foam that is just like the pink.

the expanding iso foam is good but is costly for a 1 time deal. if you shipped all day long or were allowed to use the dispenser at work, it would be a nice option.

#9 Trever

Trever

Gemini

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:20 AM

Excellent article. I already follow the guidelines of isolating the item from any contact wth the outside walls and try to prevent movement of any kind. So far I have had sucess with every scope I have shipped.

I hate packing peanuts and I have a truckload from all the shipments I have received this year. I wished peope would stop using them. But the UPS store is not all the great in my opinion. The dob I received was absolutely FULL of packing peanuts on the base abd the OTA. Everything arrived fine, but I just do not trust the peanuts.

#10 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

Some packaging peanuts, the ones that look like tiny hot dogs, are made from corn starch and are water soluable. That is, if water or moisture gets inside the box they will dissolve. (Our dog thinks they are tasty!)
David E

#11 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

Superb article!!I always over and double pack and still learned a lot here. The analogy I use is to pack for the Samsonite Gorilla thrashing your carton around...and shipping is the weak link in any transaction.

Water soluble peanuts...yea...I have a fishing application for them and they help a lot :shocked: :cool:

#12 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

Great article! I have tons of those packing peanuts around here. Anyone want some?

Best story I have is a fine Ebay seller sending 2 counterweights with only foam peanuts. Package arrived with a big hole in the side of the box and just some peanuts inside. NO CW's!

Anyway you can get this posted, and sent, to all Ebay sellers? HA :foreheadslap:

#13 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

Wow! You can bet that I bookmarked that article on my, and my wife's computer. Thank's Dave!

Bob
10" Treckerscope

#14 Robin Lee

Robin Lee

Owner - Cyclops Optics

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the effort on writing this article. I doubt no one will benefit from this.

#15 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

I have all the original shipping cartons from my optics and electronic purchases
stacked in my attic for moving or shipping in the future.

Thanks for a great article.
:bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics