•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LunaticoAstro Dragonfly - anything I need to consider?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 23 May 2021 - 02:07 PM

Hi All

I just ordered a Dragonfly for my ROR obs control. 

I plan to order a AAG Cloudwatcher with humidity sensor and the anemometer and the AAG Solo to go with it.

I'll be driving two piers and using either a gate opener and track or garage door opener for the roof - its a fairly big roof about 8m x 4m 

Anything I need to consider apart from power supplys and the beam breaking for parking of scopes and some switches for the open/closed position indicators?

thanks

Simon

#2 Hondo

Hondo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NB, Canada

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:04 PM

Hi Simon,

I have been using the DragonFly for about three years now.  I use it with the CloudWatcher, do not have the Solo or anemometer, and my opener is a garage door motor.  I control it with SGP and can do fully automated sessions.  The CloudWatcher takes a bit of trial and error to find the correct settings but the manual does a great job of explaining the different parameters.  Once you dial it in you will have two settings, one for winter and one for summer.  I also use the relays in the DF to control the power to my mount and CCD/FW.  Jamiee at Lunatico is always ready to help if you get stuck.  I would definitely buy from them again.

One thing that I will mention and has nothing to do with the DragonFly or CloudWatcher is that be weary of using SGP.  I run SGP V2.6 and there is a known bug if your safety monitor triggers an unsafe event.  SGP will send the command to close the roof upon detecting unsafe and the roof will close but the catch is that it sends the command twice and that second instance will cause the relay to close and the roof to re-open.  Not good if your unsafe event happens to be rain!

Because of the bug I was ready to abandon SGP and move to something else but then I found an App called LLLOD, written by Jamiee of Lunatico.  It works great and I continue to use SGP.  I never upgraded to SGP V3 or 4 and the bug was supposed to be solved but I put no faith in that.  You can read about the SGP issue at the link below.  Good luck with your obsy.

https://forum.sequen...g-the-roof/7214

• ZL4PLM likes this

#3 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:23 PM

Hi Simon,

I have been using the DragonFly for about three years now.  I use it with the CloudWatcher, do not have the Solo or anemometer, and my opener is a garage door motor.  I control it with SGP and can do fully automated sessions.  The CloudWatcher takes a bit of trial and error to find the correct settings but the manual does a great job of explaining the different parameters.  Once you dial it in you will have two settings, one for winter and one for summer.  I also use the relays in the DF to control the power to my mount and CCD/FW.  Jamiee at Lunatico is always ready to help if you get stuck.  I would definitely buy from them again.

One thing that I will mention and has nothing to do with the DragonFly or CloudWatcher is that be weary of using SGP.  I run SGP V2.6 and there is a known bug if your safety monitor triggers an unsafe event.  SGP will send the command to close the roof upon detecting unsafe and the roof will close but the catch is that it sends the command twice and that second instance will cause the relay to close and the roof to re-open.  Not good if your unsafe event happens to be rain!

Because of the bug I was ready to abandon SGP and move to something else but then I found an App called LLLOD, written by Jamiee of Lunatico.  It works great and I continue to use SGP.  I never upgraded to SGP V3 or 4 and the bug was supposed to be solved but I put no faith in that.  You can read about the SGP issue at the link below.  Good luck with your obsy.

https://forum.sequen...g-the-roof/7214

thanks Scott 

I have the latest SGP so hopefully won't be an issue 

Yes I have been amazed by Jaime's responses - they have been real helpful and that is the biggest most important thing for me buying gear is that I can get support when I have a query or need advice - esp with something like a controller!

I'll be doing plenty of testing before leaving scopes unattended too :) 

thanks for the advice ... v much appreciated!

cheers

Simon 

• Hondo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics