•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Information on a vintage Vixen Polaris 60L

Classic Equipment Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lxeth

lxeth

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:31 PM

Hoping to get a little more information on a vintage Vixen Polaris 60L I'm thinking of picking up.

I think it is an older version since it is got black fittings rather than the green you often see, but I was wondering if anyone could give some information on when it was made. 

(And also, whether it is worth the $100 dollars the owner is asking for it - the owner if also including 6 .965 EPs (K25, K20, HM20, HM12.5, Or7, Or5) that looks to be in good shape, and a "sun prism" (I think this is something like an older version of a herschel wedge)).

Attached Thumbnails

• custom 60 altaz_sm.png
  • custom60L.PNG
  • custom catalogs_sm.png

Edited by lxeth, 24 May 2021 - 06:35 PM.

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:40 PM

If the scope is as clean as the photos indicate I think it's a real bargain 

• mdowns and lxeth like this

#3 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

Wow..  I would snap it up just for the cool factor.

• lxeth likes this

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:24 PM

Is the mount included in the price?!

Silly question...

...right?

Even without the mount, the price is "unfairly fair." waytogo.gif

Best wishes and congratulations.

Dan

• lxeth likes this

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:16 PM

The mount and tripod alone are worth the price. The paper work is nice too. 

#6 lxeth

lxeth

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!! You're definitely making it easier to pull the trigger! (Not sure my wife will appreciate all of your advice!).

#7 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:40 AM

The mount alone is worth that.  I would hop on it.

#8 lxeth

lxeth

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:11 PM

Thanks again to everyone. I decided to get the scope. It should arrive in about a week grin.gif I'll post some pictures when it does.

In the meantime, if anyone happens to know roughly how old the scope is I'd love to hear. 

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and LukaszLu like this

#9 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:39 PM

Well done.  I'll bet you love it.   waytogo.gif

• lxeth likes this

#10 lxeth

lxeth

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:55 AM

The 60mm scope finally arrived! Unfortunately, the new equipment jinx is in full force and its nothing but rain and more rain for the next few days frown.gif

Overall the scope seems to be in decent shape - there a few scratches on the tube, and some nicks on the tripod but nothing that impairs the workings of the scope. The mount look good and clean with no rust anywhere, and moves smoothly enough - though I imagine I should try and replace the old grease (any threads here that deal with taking apart a polaris or other equatorial mount to re-grease?). The EPs also look to be in good shape - 6 .965 circle Vs - K25, K20, HM20, HM12.5, Or7, Or5. And as an added bonus, a "sun prism." From what I could find online, this is something like a Hershel wedge...Anyone ever use one of these? Is it even safe??

Thanks again for all the advice and other info! I really appreciate everyone's input grin.gif 

Will post some observation reports once the skies clear

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen Polaris 60L_SM.jpg
  • 965EPs_SM3.JPG

• Terra Nova, kansas skies, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#11 MisterDan

MisterDan

Ranger 4

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:37 PM

What a nice group of eyepieces.  The entire package - for $100(!?) - is astonishing.  If I could go back in time to my single days (before wife and family), and I were seeking a similar instrument (equatorial-mounted 60mm refractor), and I found this same package for sale, I would have "jumped on it" for $300.  For $100, I'd buy it now, and I wouldn't have to ask my wife! lol.gif

With regard to the sun prism (per Vixen instructions):  the sun prism and "sun glass for sun prism" filter are designed to work together (as a combination).  Neither the sun prism nor the "sun glass for sun prism" should be used alone.

The "sun glass" (the one not labeled "for sun prism") is denser/darker and designed for use only with the objective aperture stop (likely ~40mm) in place, and - even then - for only short periods. I, myself, would not use the "sun glass" alone, regardless of observation time.  Vixen's own instructions acknowledge the following:  "When a sun filter is used with a telescope for long observation, the sun filter may sometimes break from the heat."  Since "long" is not defined, I would refrain from the risk altogether.

We look forward to your impressions and observations.

Enjoy! bow.gif waytogo.gif

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 03 June 2021 - 01:05 PM.

• lxeth likes this

#12 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:25 PM

You got a steal on this one. The seller must have no idea about the value of the setup.

• lxeth likes this

#13 Volvonium

Volvonium

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:10 PM

What a great deal you got.    The Polaris mounts are fantastic and it looks like the one you have is the "Original Polaris" which is from the 1970's and has the fancier machined steel with knurled rod clutch levers.    These were not typically available in the US.   Most common is the "New Polaris", which had the wide, chrome, cast metal clutch levers that look like the ones on the later Super Polaris and Great Polaris.     The Vixen orthoscopics and Huygen Mitzenway are very admirable performers, especially the orthos.   My vixen orthoscopics are competitive with many newer orthos and only suffer relatively minor differences in brightness due to MgFl coatings.

• lxeth likes this

#14 lxeth

lxeth

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:25 PM

What a nice group of eyepieces.  The entire package - for $100(!?) - is astonishing.  If I could go back in time to my single days (before wife and family), and I were seeking a similar instrument (equatorial-mounted 60mm refractor), and I found this same package for sale, I would have "jumped on it" for $300.  For $100, I'd buy it now, and I wouldn't have to ask my wife! lol.gif

With regard to the sun prism (per Vixen instructions):  the sun prism and "sun glass for sun prism" filter are designed to work together (as a combination).  Neither the sun prism nor the "sun glass for sun prism" should be used alone.

The "sun glass" (the one not labeled "for sun prism") is denser/darker and designed for use only with the objective aperture stop (likely ~40mm) in place, and - even then - for only short periods. I, myself, would not use the "sun glass" alone, regardless of observation time.  Vixen's own instructions acknowledge the following:  "When a sun filter is used with a telescope for long observation, the sun filter may sometimes break from the heat."  Since "long" is not defined, I would refrain from the risk altogether.

We look forward to your impressions and observations.

Enjoy! bow.gif waytogo.gif

Dan

Thank you for the info about the sun prism! The scope came with both the prism and the sun glass for sun prism, and both seem to be in good shape. I'm just a little worried about actually using them - the risk seems rather large. Maybe should post in the solar observing forum...

You got a steal on this one. The seller must have no idea about the value of the setup.

Yeah, I did get lucky. But being in Japan helps. Old Vixens come for sale a lot and the prices for 60mm don't seem to go that high.

What a great deal you got.    The Polaris mounts are fantastic and it looks like the one you have is the "Original Polaris" which is from the 1970's and has the fancier machined steel with knurled rod clutch levers.    These were not typically available in the US.   Most common is the "New Polaris", which had the wide, chrome, cast metal clutch levers that look like the ones on the later Super Polaris and Great Polaris.     The Vixen orthoscopics and Huygen Mitzenway are very admirable performers, especially the orthos.   My vixen orthoscopics are competitive with many newer orthos and only suffer relatively minor differences in brightness due to MgFl coatings.

Thanks! I've never had a Eq mount before - and I'm still using the Polaris as an Alt-Az. You're right, it does have the little knurled clutch levers (though it is missing one!). I really do like the mount. Not only does it look good (even my wife said it beautiful, and will let me keep out), but it just feels so very solid and the movement is so smooth. I"m hoping to find another one, and some 80mm rings, so that I can mount the 80mm f11 on one too. Might be time to say good bye to the Porta.

• Bomber Bob and Volvonium like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, Equipment, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics