•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone Familiar with Avalon's Merino Robotic Observatory ?

Astrophotography EAA Equipment Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:45 AM

Hi All:

As the topic title implies, I'm looking into this robotic observatory produced by Avalon in Italy. Its relatively small, reasonably portable and I'm not aware of a similar product like it made elsewhere. It seems ideal for those of us who live in Bortle 6-9 but have access to a location under dark skies where would could place such an observatory equipped with our observing / imaging gear and have year round access to dark skies. It also seems possible for the Merino to hold two smaller scopes allowing for the possibility that several people could share the observatory.

Anyway, if you have any knowledge, information or comments on this (or similar) product, or the approach in general, I'd really like to hear it.

Cheers

Gary

Screenshot (2).png

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:27 AM

First time I heard of this.

Interesting solutions.

A small typo in the name.

https://www.avalon-i...ervatory-detail

And the larger model what your image is of:

https://www.avalon-i...ies/samm-detail

Edited by Tapio, 25 May 2021 - 11:34 AM.

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

Very interesting solution.  I would worry some about the roof sealing enough to prevent leaks.  Did you call for prices yet?  I wonder what shipping to the US would cost.

#4 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:02 PM

Hi

I found a rough price of about 9k online. Tolgo sells Avalon products but believes they will not sell this in the US. I just emailed them directly to inquire. At 9K it would be a good value and I would not worry about waterproofing or weather protection - the product is obviously designed for use outdoors. I would, of course, look into the details as part of a purchase and weather test the product when/if it arrives.

Gary

• psandelle and eyeoftexas like this

#5 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:34 AM

I emailed them a few years ago and it was not available is the US at that time. Maybe that has changed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, EAA, Equipment, Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics