•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pics on the box vs views through eyepiece, let down?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

Before I ever bought my first scope, and I know others must have been through this also, I thought that I would se the planets as they showed on the telescope box. I knew that the toy scopes I had before did not show any detail, but the real scopes that I looked at, all the boxes and ads showed big, clear, color pictures of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. But when I looked through my first real scope, a modest 76mm Sears, it was a let down. I could see the moons of Jupiter, the Rings of Saturn, but nothing like the box pictures showed. And Mars was nothing like the box showed. And then I thought that maybe a bigger scope was needed, so a SPC-8 SCT was next, and it was a little better, but still not up to par with ad photos and the box pictures.

It seems that the pictures on the box should show exactly how the images look like through the scope. I guess there has been many disappointed children and even adults because of this

• Rich (RLTYS), clusterbuster, gjanke and 3 others like this

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 26 May 2021 - 09:20 PM

Buyer Beware

#3 jimhoward999

jimhoward999

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood, Tennessee

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:26 PM

Your in charge of telescope sales and marketing.   You can use any images you want, but your pay is entirely determined by how many telescopes are sold.  What pictures are you putting on the ADs?

• MisterDan and Sarciness like this

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:33 PM

Your in charge of telescope sales and marketing.   You can use any images you want, but your pay is entirely determined by how many telescopes are sold.  What pictures are you putting on the ADs?

Ding, ding, ding, ding.

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:46 PM

Greed above all else, the ugly side of capitalism.

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:07 PM

This is merely another example of untruth in advertising. wink.gif

https://money.usnews...ive-advertising

#7 Cpk133

Cpk133

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:14 PM

Before I ever bought my first scope, and I know others must have been through this also, I thought that I would se the planets as they showed on the telescope box. I knew that the toy scopes I had before did not show any detail, but the real scopes that I looked at, all the boxes and ads showed big, clear, color pictures of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. But when I looked through my first real scope, a modest 76mm Sears, it was a let down. I could see the moons of Jupiter, the Rings of Saturn, but nothing like the box pictures showed. And Mars was nothing like the box showed. And then I thought that maybe a bigger scope was needed, so a SPC-8 SCT was next, and it was a little better, but still not up to par with ad photos and the box pictures.

It seems that the pictures on the box should show exactly how the images look like through the scope. I guess there has been many disappointed children and even adults because of this

Maybe you're not doing something right.  There's lots to see on the planets with 76mm of aperture, in some cases, better than the pics.  If your 8" SCT is just barely better, something's wrong.  

"It seems that the pictures on the box should show exactly how the images look like through the scope."  -Not possible.  What you see isn't going to be the same as the next guy / gal.  Some people aren't very good visual observers.  My favorite is the guy that looks at Jupiter under excellent seeing conditions and comments on the rings or doesn't even see the GRS or an ink black shadow transit.  It's like me picking up my kids Fender Stratocaster, sounds awful, but he can make that thing sing.

Edited by Cpk133, 27 May 2021 - 10:22 PM.

• Redbetter likes this

#8 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Glen Burnie (Maryland)

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:35 PM

I totally agree, maybe you need a WARNING on the box like "Views thru this telescope are not necessarily what you see on the box". shrug.gif  The one exception would be the Moon.

#9 Mr.Furley

Mr.Furley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:51 PM

At least your box had pictures, mine was brown.

I had to draw them on myself.
  • Rich (RLTYS), Deep13, MisterDan and 2 others like this

#10 Deep13

Deep13

Aurora

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:09 PM

You need to be patient when observing planets. You have to wait for moments of good seeing and really look at the planet to perceive detail.

#11 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:10 AM

It is meant as " This scope is not able to show these high resolution images " . You must have misunderstood it . 

#12 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:48 AM

It is not only probe images of the planets that are misleading but also claims of 675X magnification on the same box of that 60mm refractor.

Or, maybe I should dump my 9" Maksutov and get that 60mm refractor as this Mak cannot cut it the same as that frac... someone is being had. And now FOMO has me doubting myself! :( :(

I could make a nice flower pot out of the big glass corrector! 🤗

#13 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:51 AM

Sadly I know of one person who believes I got a dud and he scored a bargain entirely because of these claims. And you won't persuade him otherwise because he ain't no fool!

#14 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 57.29*N 4.16*W

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:53 AM

Back as a teenager, when I got my first 'real' telescope, I kind of knew what to expect to see because of the little example photos in my Edmund catalog. I wasn't disappointed when I got my telescope as I wasn't expecting to see the views seen in larger aperture equipment, so I was prepared. Even so, even with the smaller aperture telescope that I had I was very delighted in the views that I did achieve.

Now, Sea Monkeys..that's another story altogether. I really did think I'd hatch some little fish-folk! Boy, the disappointment still hurts after all these years!!

• epee and Sarciness like this

#15 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:05 AM

Orion XX12g; no pictures on the box, no disappointment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics