•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier-tech Pier Stuck Down Position

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stanford, California

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:16 PM

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with this pier going south?  Went down and wants to stay there.  All cables/power checked????

Jerry Y

Edited by jerryyyyy, 28 May 2021 - 10:59 AM.

#2 photomagica

photomagica

Viking 1

• Loc: Calgary and Tucson

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:12 AM

Call Pier-Tech.

• vrotondi and jerryyyyy like this

#3 nof

nof

Vostok 1

• Loc: Israel

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:08 AM

I had this problem with a piertech. Once it went down all the way, it wouldn’t go up. I discovered that by disconnecting the power and reconnecting it would reset. I contacted the owner (Vince?) and he said it was some kind of problem with an electronic board in the pier and that I should order a new one. It was super expensive, he said it was an old model and could find only one unit, so I bought it. There was no way I could send this pier back from israel for service; the price I thought was exorbitant but there’s no beating this pier for convenience _- I raise and lower constantly so I can view seated with my C14. But I have not yet installed this new controller board because I found a simple workaround in the meantime: I don’t lower it quite all the way and there is no problem. So I have the new board if ever I need it. I just can’t imagine viewing would be half as comfortable without this pier.
  • jerryyyyy likes this

#4 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

I have had my PT for 15 years (I believe) and have never had an issue with it.  Pretty much keep it down all the time now but occasionally still raise it.

• vrotondi likes this

#5 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stanford, California

Posted 28 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

I had this problem with a piertech. Once it went down all the way, it wouldn’t go up. I discovered that by disconnecting the power and reconnecting it would reset. I contacted the owner (Vince?) and he said it was some kind of problem with an electronic board in the pier and that I should order a new one. It was super expensive, he said it was an old model and could find only one unit, so I bought it. There was no way I could send this pier back from israel for service; the price I thought was exorbitant but there’s no beating this pier for convenience _- I raise and lower constantly so I can view seated with my C14. But I have not yet installed this new controller board because I found a simple workaround in the meantime: I don’t lower it quite all the way and there is no problem. So I have the new board if ever I need it. I just can’t imagine viewing would be half as comfortable without this pier.

Thanks so much for the response, I have power cycled it to no avail.  Did it just restart after a power re-cycle, wish it were true for me. Vito has responded to one e-mail stating to check power, which I have. 

I had this hooked up to my roof controller which allowed remote operations.  I have the roof too.  I never have the roof power on when I have the pier up... to prevent any chance of a mount crash.  This had been working fine until yesterday. I changed back to the hand held controller to no avail.  Re-seated the plugs to no avail.

You did not discover any way to move the pier up manually... I tried to pull it up and it is like a rock. 

Rats.... it will be major surgery to disassemble even if there is a new board available.  The thing is very very convenient... and I thought solid... the roof is industrial strength.

#6 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:29 PM

Hello Jerome

Please call me directly.

Vito 

Pier-Tech

630-841-6848

• torsinadoc and photomagica like this

#7 nof

nof

Vostok 1

• Loc: Israel

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

Hello, Hope you get it working again. As you say, it's a major convenience.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:57 PM

Take a look for ‘lifting column’ on amazon or eBay. There’s a lot of examples and they’re easily controlled via a relay.

https://www.amazon.c...dustrial&sr=1-3
  • vrotondi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics